• PG, 1 hr. 36 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry Reviews

gumnerf
May 27, 2011
A good movie even for a non-christian like myself. Robert Guillaume was a surprise because I missed his name in the credits. Glad to see him though.
January 4, 2014
Ok film. The kid in love stuff was boring. I liked the message of Jonathan and his kindess and faith in God. Finding out near the end what happened to his wife was really sad. When he died, I did shed a tear. Just wasn't a movie that touched me enough. It had a nice story but was overall boring. But I loved the message of God. That girl... Tanya...URGH so glad she didn't end up with Dustin!!!! Apparently the story is true I think...??? the ending has Jonathan's lifeline mentioned but i can't find anything about him online. The other boys were mentioned so they must be real people too. Not sure because they say what happened to characters even in fictional movies sometimes.. I was weirded out by the fact the movie said it took place in 1970. That is just weird because it looked so much like 50's to early 60's to me. Overall I loved the message but wasn't entertaining enough. Mind you, I kept watching
March 16, 2013
My favourite Movie ever Awesome acting with a beautiful message
August 11, 2012
Dripping with cheese, corny, over the top bible thumping at its very best.
June 23, 2012
This movie displays and invokes the positive attributes that I would love my 7 year old daughter to display as well as inspiring me to be a role model for her and her friends. Definitely worth the watch.
April 28, 2012
i know that God can give his place
where he died for all others and came for us he is loving us today.
The Creep
November 15, 2011
This rises above most monotonous Christian dramas..

PLOT:Three 12-year-olds including Dustin (Jansen Panettiere) are living a carefree life in the sumemr of 1970. Wehn Dustin goes to mow a lawn, he meets old church-goer Mr. Sperry (Gavin MacLeod) who teaches himself and his friends about God, the gospel, and his plans for life in fun little lessons. Meanwhile, Dustin tries to deal with bullies and crushes not to mention warming the cold heart of the man across the street from Mr. Sperry, Mr. Barnes (Robert Guillaume). It is a somewhat generic Christian plot, but it's executed quite decently.

ACTING:This is where the movie's weak. The acting in here mainly sucks. The kids all suck and even some of the adults. The only actors that did well were Gavin MacLeod and Robert Guillaume.

SCORE:This was surprising, but the score was actually pretty excellent.

OTHER CONTENT:Other than the acting, the other things that brought the movie down were the predictability and lack of suspense. I predicted most of the movie by the time it was half over. There was a twist that I never would've caught though, and also though you knew what was gonna happen, it still was executed enough for you to feel emotion. The lack of suspense simply means that the movie was kind of boring straight through. On the upside, the lessons taught in here helped me realize certain things, but I feel this only works because I am a Christian. If I had not been a Christian, I feel I would have hated this-so my opinion is limited on a critique site.

OVERALL,an ok Christian drama with a decently executed plot, sucky acting, excellent score, raging predictability, lack of suspense a.k.a. boredom, and good lessons for Christians.
garfield2710
July 29, 2010
Enjoyable, believeable, sometimes funny and a heartwarming film.
Tony S.
July 29, 2010
This is an enjoyable story about three twelve year old boys in upstate NY in the summer of 1970. One of the boys mows the lawn of an elderly widower played by Gavin MacLeod of The Love Boat and The Mary Tyler Moore fame. Jonathan Sperry (MacLeod) befriends Dustin who mows his lawn and this friendship results in a Bible study led by Sperry for the three boys. Other boys join this Bible study including the neighborhood bully. Sperry has a profound effect upon a dozen or so boys and his influence on Dustin is uppermost. Through different summer scenes with the three boys and other boys and girls we see Sperry's effect upon a small town, including an effect on Mr. Barnes, a neighbor played by Robert Guillaume. This film was produced for $900,000, a small budget by today's standards, and is on a limited release. Even so, it is worth the effort to find it and see it.