18% Transcendence Apr 18

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

16 Years of Alcohol Reviews

May 24, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]Portentously narrated, "16 Years of Alcohol" is a thinly plotted movie about Frankie(Kevin McKidd), a young man who is part of a gang of four thugs who spend most of their waking hours roaming the streets and bars. Frankie is a one-dimensional character whose single distinctive quality is his explosive anger but no particular cause is ever given for this.(He grew up in a dysfunctional home but the situation was not abusive.) No political or socio-economic factors are even mentioned. In the end, this movie just seems like an inferior knock-off of "A Clockwork Orange" which it references via a movie poster.[/font]
thereverendtholomewplague
December 1, 2009
Wasn't too bad of a movie, though some parts were quite dull. I would have to say that it kind of pissed me off sometimes, but overall a decent watch.. pretty interesting as well.
JourneyingThrough195
March 23, 2009
Better then Transpotting and Clockwork orange, Best Independant Film to come. shows life as dramatic as they possibly could make it with out the sob story.
May 24, 2007
very artsy; and sad. and oh do i love the scots. this movie starred kevin mckidd better known as tommy from ?trainspoting?.
aelric99
July 21, 2006
MY GOD!!! what were they thinking? really!?!? they took a great idea, a great narritive, a great first 20 minutes of the movie, threw in these fruity, patheticly heavy-handed montages set to john tesh like piano, took the time to establish this character, but then have him act in the most pathetic ways possible. this movie is like a talented man's untalented son. you see the remblence it has to greatness, but that only makes you more acutly aware of it's shortcomings. it scores 2 stars because of the first 20 minutes, and the good idea that it was, but don't achually watch this, no matter how good it looks at first.
May 6, 2011
Stumbled upon this film and was pleasantly surprised. Emotionally and visually moving. Artistic. Poetic. Absolutely loved the movie. Loved Kevin McKidd. Well-done Richard Jobson.
TheArshMan
April 2, 2010
Grade: B-

16 Years of Alcohol is one of the most depressing films I have seen; but it manages to remain interesting. The film is narrated by the main character; Frankie (Kevin McKidd), a guy in his late 20's who has been a violent person and alcoholic for 16 years. The film begins by showing the last parts of the film, and then delves in to the characters childhood. His father was a philanderer and alcoholic as well, something he found troubling and inexplicable as a child; he has grown up into a man with a hard shell around him, welcoming vices as a natural part of life (like his father). He won't let anyone in, and ends up fighting them if they try. He hold's resentment towards normalcy and balance, and does his damndest to upset it.

In with a group of three likewise violent friends, they roam the city streets of London looking for drinks and picking fights. The Clockwork Orange homage's are really the only true "entertaining" parts of the film, with the recreation of certain of Kubrick sets and similar situations from his film; even some of the costumes are subtle homage's. British Writer/Director Richard Jobson takes parts of A Clockwork Orange's framework, strips it of its avant-garde themes and stylizations, while maintaining certain character elements; he then transplants it to realistic modern day London, instead of the hyper-reality of Kubrick's vision.

Much like with Alex in Kubrick's film, Frankie is attempting to escape his past (in a very different way than Alex), and start fresh; unlike Alex's brutal procedure, Frankie, whom lives in the real world, attends Alcoholics Anonymous, finds a girlfriend who has also had a rough past, and tries to learn to see hope in a future that is not at the mercy of the past. That hope, as Frankie narrates, can be a tricky thing, a double edged knife; and even when you can forget the past, sometimes it doesn't forget you.

As interesting as the subject matter is in this film, the plot is barren of any happiness, and the characters can be extremely polarizing for a film trying to be realistic. And, Frankie himself isn't the most cinematic of characters. He doesn't speak much, and most of what we learn of him comes through his interior monologues. The narrative would be interesting, if it weren't for the fact that it is extremely repetitive and not as revealing as it should be. The film aptly tries to explain, yet it isn't really adding more meaning to the film, it's just adding words to it. It's the over explaining with no addition of meaningful content that add too, to the films derision and depressing feeling as well. It seems that the screenplay tries to fill these gaps in meaning with the monologues (it only 95 minutes long), but isn't entirely successful. If the film cut, say, 30-45 % of it's narration, the film would be much better.

The acting is pretty good, notably McKidd in the lead role, as a stony faced, impulsive, self-loathing/self-pitying Frankie. The two female leads, both girlfriends of Frankie, are well placed and thought up characters, and their presence, and differences as people, are markers for the changes that Frankie is going through. One of the women he dates before his attempts to change, and the other he meets before beginning to attend AA.

Overall this isn't a bad film, criticisms and all; in fact it's in a some ways its pretty good. I like how the film shows a man stuck in his own life make an attempt to change for the better, and not succeed with flying colours. I like that it gives "Alex DeLarge" a childhood, a formative reason for his adult behaviour. I like the homage's. I like the feelings of tension and uncertainty......I still like this film, flaws and all.
ronin_samurai
June 6, 2006
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Dig it, [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]On today?s menu two quick reviews followed by a delightful yet piquant update on the product of my loins. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Sixteen Years of Alcohol: The story of Frankie a skinhead whose alcoholic violent past continues to find him no matter how hard he tries to change who he is. Frankie finds love and tries to change himself for the better, and as he admits in the film one does not simply become a new man instantly rather a man changes little by little. A stylistic look at how alcohol abuse can affect a family for generations but ultimately only scratches the surface while glossing over any depressing aspects of alcohol abuse. The film attempts to be a tale of redemption but falls flat without any real emotional depth. :fresh: :rotten: (not rotten, not fresh, average)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Transamerica: I found this to be quite an interesting film. Felicity Huffman delivers an outstanding performance as Bree Osbourne a pre-operative male to female transsexual who discovers she once fathered a son, who is now a wayward drug addicted teenage male prostitute. The unlikely duo take a road trip across America and as is the norm with road movies the mismatched duo soon learn to respect one another but only after some missteps. The film is really your standard road movie fraught with the usual road trip as road of life metaphors but it does have a certain charm to it that is enjoyable. I do give bonus points for Pauly from Rocky I-VI making an appearance as Bree?s father. :fresh: [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]In other non-film related news Mrs. Samurai and I went for her ultrasound today and got to take a look under the hood at our gut monkey. We found out today that we are having a little boy Samurai. Anybody who knows me knows that I am not a really touchy feely kind of Samurai but I do admit seeing our baby in video was pretty amazing. Now I?m not going to digress into one of those ?miracle of life? speeches that I like to refer to as ?hippy crap? because anybody who know the Samurai knows his dislike of tree huggin? hippies. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]What I do admit is that seeing my little guy move around, suck his thumb, and yawn on camera really brought the whole experience home for me. As a man the whole pregnancy gig so far is fairly easy, nothing changes for you really. Your wife does all the changes physically and you get to reap the benefits of her sleeping 16 hours a day. Honestly I can not say enough good things about Mrs. Samurai?s 5 hour naps in the evening, I get to watch what I want on TV, play hours of Xbox, have a bowl of Count Chocula uninterrupted and generally have lots of quiet evenings to myself and let me tell you the Samurai values his quiet alone time highly. :D [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]Ronin ?Sexually Potent ?Samurai[/color][/size][/font]

May 24, 2006