Average Rating: 6.8/10
Reviews Counted: 14
Fresh: 9 | Rotten: 5
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 1
Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 1
Average Rating: 3.8/5
User Ratings: 8,341
The first independent production of former studio mogul Jack Warner, 1776 was adapted from the hit 1969 Broadway musical by Peter Stone and Sherman Edwards. William Daniels, Ken Howard, and Howard Da Silva are among the many actors who recreate their Broadway roles. The story is set during the first Continental Congress, when the Declaration of Independence was drafted by such founding fathers as John Adams (Daniels) and Benjamin Franklin (Da Silva). The script attempts to "humanize" these
Jan 1, 1972 Wide
Jul 2, 2002
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
Howard Da Silva
William H. Bassett
Thomas Heyward Jr.
Jack De Mave
Thomas Lynch Jr.
Richard Henry Lee
Secretary Charles Th...
Custodian Andrew McN...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Semi-successful transfer to the big screen of the 1969 Broadway musical hit, nominated for the Best Cinematography Oscar.
A star-spangled, all-singing delight.
A wonderful, witty underrated musical. A 4th of July tradition in my house.
A whole lotta toe-tappin' musical patriotism.
Audience Reviews for 1776
There are no featured audience reviews yet. Click the link below to see what others say about 1776!
- John Hancock: I'm still from Massachusetts, John. You know where I stand. I'll do whatever you say.
- John Adams: No. No, you're the president of Congress. You're a fair man, Hancock. Stay that way.
- Stephen Hopkins: Ah, Ben! I want you to see some cards I'd gone and had printed up. Oughta save everybody here a lot of time and effort, considering the epidemic of bad disposition that's been going on around here lately. "Dear Sir, you are without any doubt, a rogue, a rascal, a villain, a thief, a scoundrel, and a mean, dirty, stinking, sniveling, sneaking, pimping, pocket-picking, thrice double-damned no-good son of a bitch." and you sign your name - what do you think?
- Benjamin Franklin: I'll take a dozen, right now.
- Richard Henry Lee: You've come to the one colony that can get job done: Virginia. The land that gave us our glorious commander in chief, George Washington, will now give the congress its proposal on independence. Where Virginia goes the south is bound to follow. And where the south goes, the middle colonies go! Gentlemen, a salute to Virginia, the mother of American independence!
- Benjamin Franklin: If we do not hang together, we shall most assuredly hang separately!
- John Adams: It doesn't matter. I won't be in the history books anyway, only you. Franklin did this and Franklin did that and Franklin did some other damn thing. Franklin smote the ground and out sprang George Washington, fully grown and on his horse. Franklin then electrified him with his miraculous lightning rod and the three of them - Franklin, Washington, and the horse - conducted the entire revolution by themselves.
- Benjamin Franklin: Treason is a charge invented by winners as an excuse for hanging the losers.
Discuss 1776 on our Movie forum!