2001: A Space Travesty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

2001: A Space Travesty Reviews

½ August 18, 2007
The Naked Gun movies continue (sorta) in space! But unfortunately Leslie Nielsen has a different character name who acts the same. No worse than the Austin Powers 2 space station scenes. Nice tribute to "2001: A Space Odyssey", but it didn't last! Sadly, less than half of the movie is in space; the title and promos are misleading. They should've parodied every Sci-Fi movie possible, with Leslie it would've been great. But they went cheap with an underdeveloped plot about cloning the US President on Earth. The CGI special effects added to the comic situations. The sets were high budget, especially the Paris Opera House. The musical performances were the highlight of this movie: the three Tenors singing "In the Navy", Ophelie Winter's sexy "Get Down Tonight", and Bill Clinton's Saxophone showdown. I know this movie is on IMDB's bottom 100 list, but I've seen much crappier films. The infantile comedy gave me a few chuckles.
½ December 19, 2007
Everything you need to know about this film is in the title.
August 2, 2014
After the success of Airplane and The Naked Gun Leslie Nielsen was set to play in several films attempting to copy that stile of humor. This is probably the worst of all of them. Leslie is a US Marshall who is tricked into replacing the president Clinton with a clone, then must work to fix his mistake. The plot involved traveling to a secret moon base as well as to France. Only view if you are a Leslie Nielsen completist.
July 8, 2013
A parody of 2001: A Space Odyssey in name only, this movie about a Bill Clinton clone is truly a travesty. But, maybe, if you have a juvenile sense of humor, then just maybe, you might get a laugh or two out of this movie.
April 17, 2011
"2001 - A Space Travesty" is mildly entertaining while it lasts and if you have absolutely nothing to do for 90 minutes and feel like a cheap laugh (with as little brains as possible) this is the movie for you. Otherwise it's a travesty indeed.
½ January 19, 2013
The stigma of being 'so bad it is funny' does not apply to this. It is just so downright bad, it is not worth anybody's time.
November 11, 2007
I thought this was a funny film and hey it's Leslie Nielsen! Another funny role for him. Also this movie does have a lot of sexual humor, but still hilarious to watch. This film is definetly funny! 10 out of 10.
½ June 21, 2009
Most movies have a category that they try to fill. Action movies tend to have action. Dramatic movies have drama. Comedic movies have a tendency to be funny.

2001: A Space Travesty goes beyond that category. It is a comedy that is not funny.

That is not saying that it doesn't try to be funny. It has slapstick. It has humorous situations. It is crude, does parody, and it even has musical numbers.

A comedy, by definition takes the hero from a low position and brings them to a higher position. You would definitely have to be high to enjoy this movie. It is crude, rude, and lacks any subtlety.

There are moments of enjoyment where they do have a good attempt at a joke, however, by the end of the movie, all you can say is, they tried hard.

It just didn't do anything for me.
December 12, 2007
I passed this one up so many times at the library it was incredible. My dad checked it out so I watched it. It trys to be airplane and naked gun similtaneously and fails. There are a few good parts but you feel like you have seen them before.
½ June 6, 2007
As a huge fan of Leslie Nelson I had to watch this, sadly this movie was almost as unwatchable as his other biggest bomb Mr. Magoo. It's hard to make a stupid comedy so stupid that it's unwatchable and "2001" some how manages to do this.
½ June 7, 2007
worthy effort, but Leslie Nielsen was better in the days when he was telling people not to call him Shirley and trying to prevent Queen Elizabet from getting assassinated.
½ July 29, 2007
What happened to Leslie Nielsen? why take on this role?. I like his work in Airplane, Naked Gun series and the other silly movies, but this one is indeed a travesty on his career. As many other have mentioned, the half star goes only because Leslie is in there... avoid, yup! even if it is run on regular broadcast TV. That bad.
½ July 26, 2007
I normally like Neilsen's stuff, but this has to be the biggest pile of carp I've seen in recent memory.

Burn it. Burn it now.
½ June 6, 2007
In adding to my Leslie Nielsen collection within my movie collection I bought this movie. It is really awful. Nielsen surrounded by horrible effects and non-respectable actors almost made me forget that Nielsen himself was respectable. Luckily he teamed back up with David Zucker in the recent Scary Movies.
½ February 18, 2007
One of the most painful experiences I've ever attempted to sit through. Leslie Nielson is a comic genius, but every gag is complete misfire. Truly pathetic.
½ July 30, 2006
A rip off of other Leslie Neilsen silly films, along the lines of the ?Naked Gun? series, but not at all successful. The gags are just plain dumb. Airplane! this is not! I chuckled a couple of times, but thats about it.
February 17, 2016
Could and should have been much better.
August 2, 2014
½ January 21, 2014
Yet another dud, this later day spoof has all the familiar ingredients:: poor slapstick, lazy wordplay with no wit at all, and references dumped all over, regardless of relevance. Furthermore, despite the title, the plot has little to do with 2001, instead, the plot is a retread of part Naked Gun, part cheap B Movie (though, in the only positive point, the prosthetics on the creatures are fairly good):