2001 Maniacs Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
February 11, 2013
2001 Maniacs is a film that had plenty of potential of being a terrific and memorable horror comedy. Unfortunately this film misses the mark, and ends up being a tiresome tedious affair with no redeeming qualities. This is simply put a bad movie and it just fails in every sense. I am actually surprised that this film didn't deliver anything worthwhile with its interesting premise. However, it was a pitiful movie that had some poor acting, and considering there was Bill Mosely and Robert England, two veterans of the genre, this one simply didn't offer anything good for horror fans. I thought that this was a poor horror film, and yes, I do get that it is supposed to be ridiculous, but the filmmakers could have tried to at least make something good and memorable. This film was bad and it was a waste of good horror actors' talents in my opinion. The only scene that was good to see was the part where one of the girls was getting sawed in half by a table saw. However not even that juicy bit of gore was enough to redeem this poorly thought out movie. If you want a good killer redneck horror comedy that is over the top, but very entertaining, watch Trailer Park of Terror instead. 2001 Maniacs is yet another failed remake that just misses the mark. This is a horrible film that fails to really entertain, and you'd be better off watching something else. The idea was good, but the execution was very poor and lazy that the result is a badly acted film that just ends up being a waste of time.
November 18, 2009
This movie was completely out of its mind. The plot is outrageous as well as the characters. Just a fun movie to watch. I loved Robert Englund and his character of a cyclops confederate. It's reminiscent of b-horrors from the 70s and 80s, where the soul purpose is to entertain.
cancercapricorn2002
July 2, 2007
This is a remake/sequel to the 1964 Herschell Gordon Lewis film. This isn't a film for everyone but if your in the right frame of mind for it the film is alot of fun. Anyway,while traveling on vacation to Florida, the college friends Anderson Lee (Jay Gillespie), Cory Jones (Matthe Carey) and Nelson Elliot (Dylan Edrington) meet the gorgeous Joey (Marla Leigh Malcom) and Kat (Gina Marie Heekin) in a gas station traveling with their gay friend Ricky (Brian Gross) to the same location. Anderson gives his phone number to Joey in Florida. The teenagers decide to take a shortcut and they find a detour through an old road leading to the Southern town of Pleasant Valley. They are welcomed by the local Mayor Buckman (Robert Englund) as guests of honor together with Joey, Kat, Ricky and biker Malcolm (Mushond Lee) and his girlfriend Leah (Bianca Smith) are invited to stay for their Guts and Glory Jubilee with free lodging, meals and booze at Granny Boone's hotel, and dancing, games and a mouth-watering barbecue in the climax of the jubilee. The group accepts the invitation but sooner they find who will supply the meat for the feast.

"2001 Maniacs" is a movie that is sure to become a cult film, gore, black humor, gorgeous actresses and an excellent twist in the end with help make it rise to cult film status. I really did enjoy this film alot, and I thought it had a lot of funny and witty lines. Robert England is amazing in the role of the revengeful southern mayor, giving a perfect touch of humor to his sadistic and friendly character. In the end, "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it". Like I said before, its not for everyone but its worth checking out if your in the mood for a fun and gory horror film.
May 6, 2008
Tim Sullivan's remake of TWO THOUSAND MANIACS, to me, was nothing but fun from start to finish. From the first kill to the last, this film rocked. Like EVIL DEAD 2, this is more of a comedy/horror, which Sullivan himself describes as "Splatstick"...sure it's over-the-top, but it's supposed to be, and that is what makes it so much fun.

Robert Englund and Lin Shaye are a blast as "Mayor Buckman" and "Granny Boone", but I must say there were some excellent casting choices for everyone involved...the group of gorgeous girls who play both hapless victims and charming? Southern Belles...Giuseppe Andrews, who lends his unique style to the film...Dylan Edrington who plays the perfect smart-ass...and the actors portraying incidental characters like "Hucklebilly" and "Lester" really help add to the film's humor and creepiness.

While some are complaining about the few off color jokes the film offers, and these might get some people's panties in a bunch, this is not a racist picture. Personally, I found the jokes to be pretty funny (Malcom, a black character, is told to "wait just a cotton picking' minute" at one point in the film). Others are criticizing the acting...I thought the acting was fine. Not Shakespearian by any means, but remember, this isn't GHANDI and it won't be nominated for an Academy Award (and exactly how many of your favorite films have been?)

Bottom line is enjoy this for what it is, a throwback to good old-fashioned blood n guts, T & A horror.
February 3, 2008
a bloody let-down
½ July 11, 2007
A great followup to 2000 Maniacs! Robert Englund plays the mayor of a town which celebrates visitor-whacking day in hilarious gorey ways. A fresh group of kids arrive by accident in this strange patriotic town, and soon learn what's what. It has good effects, inventive deaths and lots of black humour.
June 24, 2007
A ridiculous and OTT horror. Not exactly scary but only interested in killing off the characters in as weird a way as possible. Loads of fun to just sit and watch especially after a long day. Englunds charisma is perfectly suited to the lead, and there is plenty of comedy (although not exactly high brow).
March 8, 2007
A bizarre film, very tongue in cheek. Lots of over the top gore. A bit like Wrong Turn but more comic than scary.
½ November 25, 2013
Raw Nerve (the company behind Hostel I, II and III) brought us its only other entry way back in 2005 with Tim Sullivan's 2001 Maniacs (a more-or-less-remake of the 60's horror 2000 Maniacs). It stars Horror Royalty Robert Englund (Original Nightmare on Elm Street Franchise, Supernatural, Zombie Strippers, Behind the Mask, Hatchet, Wishmaster, Urban Legend, Eaten Alive) and (to a lesser extent( Lin Shaye (Insidious, Mega Spider, Snakes on a Plane, The Hillside Strangler, Alone in the Dark) as the veritable King and Queen of the vengeful South.

I'm more or less guaranteed to give anything with Robert Englund (above) in it a try. Most any B-Horror movie, too. So with those to boxes ticked I decided it was high time I got 'round to giving it a view. There's not a whole lot to be said about it though, in earnest. It was a perfectly adequate way to spend an hour and twenty', but I don't really think it will ever warrant a second viewing. The kills are well and truly decent (in a way that could probably have been improved with a little extra cashmonies), so they obviously don't lack imagination in its entirety.

The acting, though not atrocious, left much to be desired. Still, it was good enough to not out-and-out ruin the rest of it, which in B horror is really as much as you can need. It's not a deep area, the kind of film you'd watch while you wax philosophical with your ANU buddies, B-Horror is the kind of movie you smoke a blunt with your UC buddies to. And in that, 2001 Maniacs is worthy.

Not really in anything else though.

I took nothing away from the film. I loved no actor, no character, no crew member, no kill, no effect, nothing. The reveal would have been nice if they hadn't have already given it away on the back of the DVD cover. It scraped by with the absolute minimum amount of impression to make me watch the sequel (2001 Maniacs: Field of Screams). But that's not saying a whole lot.

52%

-Gimly
½ December 23, 2007
A dull gorefest about a bunch of college kids getting murdered and eaten by stereotypical hicks. The acting was good, especially Robert Englund's performance, but it wasn't enough to make the flat, bad-dialogue-and-pun-ridden script any good. Boring, boring, boring...
July 19, 2011
Hilarious remake of the original, consists of a good balance of blood and sex
John2223
½ March 16, 2009
"2001 Maniacs" is a fun way to pass 90 odd minutes if all your looking for is lots of nudity, blood, gore and crude humour, CHECK THIS!!!
½ June 21, 2007
This has some funny monents, some cool gory moments, some sexy bitches AND the guy that played Freddy Kruegar, the legendary Robert Englund. This was actually much better second time round, don't know what i was thinking the first time i watched it! Just a fun, over the top horror.
nickymo89
July 3, 2007
Full of stereo types and a decent amount of gore, it is a great B-horror comedy. Worth a watch at least once just for how bloody corny it is.
May 4, 2007
Lots of humor. Some moments seem to drag, and some of the acting is sub-par, but sometimes this actually works in an over the top kind of way.
½ August 9, 2008
Surprisingly good splatter-gore horror movie which moves briskly, has some fair character work and is entertaining enough to cover up the few horror cliches it suffers from. And Robert Englund is not given enough work in Hollywood.
½ August 4, 2008
The same old, predictable, teen horror situation.
DrLappos
May 27, 2007
Yeeeeehaaaawww. Watchable but only just.