200 Cigarettes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

200 Cigarettes Reviews

October 7, 2013
A stupid and misguided comedy that has many funny moments but whose characters are empty and only follow the needs of a lame script - which also has no organic reason to be set in 1981 other than to be packed with 200 songs from back then.
February 21, 2008
This is my New Years movie! Like folks watch A Christmas Story or The Grinch for Christmas.... this is New Years for me!
YodaMasterJedi
February 12, 2009
three stars....
½ August 4, 2007
Misadventures of an interesting set of characters in New York on New Year's Eve. Great 80's atmosphere and music. Fun stuff. I enjoyed it.
½ December 30, 2014
From MTV Films comes the throwback comedy 200 Cigarettes. The film follows several characters on New Year's Eve 1981 as they work their way to a party in the East Village of New York City. Featuring Paul Rudd, Christina Ricci, Courtney Love, Ben Affleck, Dave Chappelle, Kate Hudson, and Jay Mohr, the cast is quite impressive. However, the performances vary, as do the character stories; with a couple of them being rather tedious and boring. Yet, there's some interesting social commentary on relationships and the struggles that young people face. Additionally, the film makes good use of the '80s aesthetic in both the costuming and the soundtrack. Partying like it's 1981, 200 Cigarettes delivers some fun times but has trouble joggling all of its characters and storylines.
½ February 2, 2008
Absolutely brilliant, and funny!!
April 25, 2008
Nothing happens in the movie. It's so blah but kinda funny.
June 7, 2007
Great film with diverse characters and intersecting storylines, and it's hilarious. A classic in my book.
July 28, 2007
Funny ensemble movie, but a "one-time watch"
May 27, 2007
One of the funniest New Years movies! I always watch this every year, just to remind me of how we are all scrambling to get to a party before the midnight rolls in. With an all star cast with a kick ass 80's soundtrack, it all begins with the funny Martha Plimpton that plans a party to which appears no one is going to show and tries to amuse her only guests on why she thinks people hate her. The whacky taxi driver with his life's motto played by Dave Chappelle, giving tactful advice to all his passengers throughout the movie. Then there's the clumsy Kate Hudson paired with the Jay Mohr, the melancholy Paul Rudd with Courtney Love, and many more actors that all bring this hilarious movie to see who will be able to find love before midnight. The ending is classic when Plimpton tired of waiting for people to show, drinks herself into a coma, and misses out on one of the best parties she threw. Its funny and crazy, and I just love this movie! Great to watch during the holidays.
iLeo
½ February 3, 2007
Funny
March 24, 2007
How is this movie rated so low?? I love this movie. Saw it when it originally came out in the theater and promptly had to buy it. Best movie to watch when recovering from New Year's Eve festivities!
November 29, 2013
Great movie that really grabs the time frame they were going for well.
The big hair, clothing styles. I don't remember seeing this when it first came out, but I purchased a copy of it on VHS. I really enjoyed it.
½ April 18, 2012
Pretty funny film. Kate Hudson was great in this early start to her career...and I absolutely love Paul Rudd in anything he does!
November 11, 2011
best movie to watch on new years eve, great cast, very underrated movie. If your alone or with friends this is what you should watch. i can't think of a better movie for the occasion
March 23, 2008
200 Cigarettes rollicks along at a fast pace and stuffs itself full of good-looking and fast/loud characters. Everyone has at least one moment to shine, most have many more. Some stories fall flat (Jay Mohr & Kate Hudson, Courtney Love & Paul Rudd), but the film manages to wrap up everyone's story in satisfying and fun ways. I'm a sucker for these fast-paced mid-late 90s MTV-style flicks (Go, Swingers, Clueless among others), and 200 Cigarettes is filled with fun style, music and characters.
September 15, 2010
pretty interesting, i like how all the charcters have their own stories and personalities. a few really funny parts and lots of good actors all through out. then ending was good but made me mad a little for the woman throughing the party lol but all in all good movie and fun to watch for those who like to stay in on new years and such
January 1, 2010
Great to see a movie about New Year's Eve. An amazing cast. Paul Rudd is really the only one that shines in it. Interesting to watch, but hard to recommend unless you like movies like Studio 54. Also probably would like it if you grew up in the 80s and want to be reminded of how hideous the fashion trends were.
November 17, 2009
I thought this movie was interesting, it had some funny scenes and a star-filled cast, but the downside is the acting, which is poor, and the story-line is a bit out there, everyone has a different story but it all comes together at the end of the movie. If you haven't seen it, watch it if you want. I give the movie a 2 of 5.
½ November 14, 2009
top 10 lonely movie

"these matches are disappointing me"

"its like an invitation for abuse. its like the last, desperate act for anyone who hasn't had a lasting relationship since junior high"

"i need some penis over here"

that orange dude sure can dance a mean dance.