28 Hotel Rooms - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

28 Hotel Rooms Reviews

½ December 22, 2014
The lead actors were good enough to keep you watching this movie, but it is rather pointless in the end.
November 20, 2012
A great film with a talented cast. Matt Ross' rewrites were worth the time. His direction is flawless, bringing to life the sexual tension and vulnerable atmosphere that trapped our main characters. Fall on Your Sword creates a haunting score that completely uniforms the film. Definitely one of my favorites of 2012.
March 29, 2015
Although it's sexier than Fifty Shades of Gray, i'ts boring and... weird.
½ March 9, 2015
Another dead honest, sad but hopeful, brilliantly acted and utterly romantic movie. "28 Hotel Rooms" is an indie that plays like a sexed-up Neil LaBute play, which just makes the topics of one-night stands and romantic statuses all the more intriguing and questionable. Both Chris Messina and Marin Ireland are absolutely fantastic here. It's a little slow at times, but "28 Hotel Rooms" is a sizzling romantic drama not to be missed.
½ September 26, 2014
Can be done much better
October 20, 2014
I cant believe this movie is ranked so low. reminds me of 9 songs, but better, in a way
September 21, 2014
It's gray. I feel like a lot of people hate this movie simply because they're cheating. But this movie is about the gray, the complicated, it's about life. The acting is phenomenal, the editing and cinematography is very interesting. All in all the story telling and performances are intoxicating and like nothing I've seen before. I can't take my eyes off the screen no matter how many times I watch this film.
½ August 28, 2014
A challenging and only half-successful character study that is held up admirably by Chris Messina's incredibly toned shoulders.
½ August 16, 2014
Pretentious, tedious, dull, pointless.
December 16, 2013
One line summary: Enduring relationship between two people not married to each other.
Strong resemblance to 'Same Time, Next Year' with Alan Alda and Ellen Burstyn, 1978.

She is from Seattle; he is based in New York. He is a novelist; she is a data miner. They travel in their work and meet now and then. They are rather guarded about their personal information, but are obviously attracted to one another. They get to know each other over time. She reads his book and likes it.

Eventually they talk about anything and everything. Their careers change over time. They discuss the meaning of what they do. They deal with life events.

When he is about to get married (she has been for some time), they talk about dropping their mates and marrying each other. But somehow it does not happen.

They have some tough times as well, such as when they talk about why they have not married each other. The ambivalence shines through again.

Some of their pretend conversations about possible lives together are fantasy, but still priceless. The acting by Chris Messina and Marin Ireland was very nuanced.

She gets pregnant, and decides to rear the child with her husband of record. Both of them have trouble dealing with it, but it's the decision that involves the least damage. Other changes come along, like his inability to drink coffee, due to a stomach condition.

Will they keep meeting, or will their married lives force that tradition to break?

Cinematography: 9/10 Fine, except for the occasional camera shake.

Sound: 9/10 No problems.

Acting: 10/10 The two principals are quite good.

Screenplay: 9/10 Well told evolution of a long-lasting affair between two people who are more than friends.
½ August 23, 2013
A fascinating film that gave me incite into something I never experienced personally and really couldn't understand before.
August 2, 2013
Don't under-estimate this film. The ambiguity, the thrill, the despair - it will make you wonder about the strangers you pass in hotel lobbies. Excellent film that doesn't wrap it all into a nice, neat package with a bow. Because life doesn't do that. You guessed it - I don't like sweets.
July 7, 2013
Lame conversations between horrible, selfish people I don't care about. The best part is, is they feel sorry for themselves. I realized this is why I avoid reality shows like 'Jersey Shore' or any Kardashian show. I couldn't even finish this movie.
½ June 24, 2013
Slightly repetitive, but with good reason.
November 7, 2012
a very underwhelming plot that could not be saved even by great acting
½ April 18, 2013
I've watched this movie twice now to try to see if I missed something that the grumpy reviewers saw, but nope, was entrancing, mesmerizing both times, I literally could not look away. I think the poor reviews - though they all remark on the superb work of the cast - says more about the state of American movie making and reviewing than the film itself. The gist of the most damning reviews is that there's not enough backstory, not enough filler to explain what's going on, what the characters motivation might be, their life outside of the hotel rooms. You know, like those other movies about "no strings" sex? Well, love is pain and joy and selfish and conflicted and at it's heart is a basic, desperate need that defies reason or explanation, and I wonder if the stripped to its essentials rawness of this almost documentary approach to story telling is just too, well, foreign for the average American habituated to being spoon-fed processed entertainment.

What I like most about the film is the sharp focus on the room(s) and particularly the bed, the supposedly neutral but freighted with significance mental and physical space in which the heaven and hell of being humans together is played out in truly intimate detail. It could well have been a one-note film school sketch stretched beyond it's limit, but here the room becomes a crucible for a 28 scene one act play that does exactly what we (should) want all theatre to do: show us who we are.

I will agree though that the ending could have been stronger, or at least more consistent with the rest of the performance. It felt like something tacked on to satisfy a studio exec, a hint of a moral or happy ending. I'd rather just be left not knowing. But this is a film that should be seen.
½ April 2, 2013
Fascinating to watch. Acting is superb, and the movie overall is 5 stars.
March 13, 2013
filmnya seintim posternya. :D
½ February 16, 2013
A worthy tale of caution. Appearing to have been given a mood but not a script allows the talents and beauty of both Chris Messina and Marin Ireland to shine. It also creates a bit, but only a bit, of empathy, for two characters who allow themselves to have a sometimes riotous, sometimes poignant, but always, shallow, selfish kind of love that leads to their devaluing of their own mental health, relationships and joy. Resigned contentedness by either participant is met with adolescent tantrums or plans for resolution that feel like a high stakes games of chicken. Each silently pleading that the other will flinch first, giving them a reprieve from having to test their commitment beyond the rooms.