2 Guns

2 Guns Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

January 21, 2014
My first Movie for 2014, I really thought that there was every chance I'd not like this movie, and was pleasantly surprised to find it exciting, action-packed, humorous and more than a bit convoluted. The acting was, as one would expect, brilliant with Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington having the time of their lives. The story took some following trying to figure out all the convolutions taking place with CIA and the Navy figuring prominently, but it was great fun, and the violence while never-ending was not over the top like some others today. I have to say that I felt Wahlberg stole the show with his comedic side strongly brought out. Go and see it, but do not try to figure out all the ins and outs too seriously. Great entertainment. 4 Stars 1-1-14
Michael S

November 12, 2013
Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg aren't strangers to fronting acclaimed films in equally acclaimed performances; but they have something else in common. Neither actor has shied away from making a plethora of less critically prestigious, Hollywood action pictures; often heightening the proceedings with charisma alone. "2 Guns" is such a movie, and because of it's stars is also a good one.

Directed by Baltasar Kormákur, who previously worked with Wahlberg on the solid "Contraband," "2 Guns" establishes itself as an equally energetic take on familiar material from the very first scene. The snappy dialogue, humor, and great chemistry between leads last throughout and isn't tired after this initial sequence. Along the way we get the likes Bill Paxton, James Marsden, and Edward James Olmos who indulge in a little screen chewing of their own.

For an action movie with ambitions planted firmly in the visceral, "2 Guns" is surprisingly teeming with plot. There's the obligatory cross, double cross, hell even a quadruple cross, in a deceptive web that involves two undercover agents, the CIA, Naval intelligence, and even a drug cartel... oh my! Halfway through I didn't know who was playing who yet, or how everything fit together, but too the writer's credit, we never feel overwhelmed, duped, and everything ties together in an entertaining whole. The film does end abruptly after a fun build up, which is one of my only knocks plot wise.

Even with everything I've just said, "2 Guns" comes down to Washington and Wahlberg. They are exciting to watch and have a great, more importantly believable chemistry. The stakes get high, but we never believe they are in anything but complete control. They command their standalone actioners, but for obvious reasons the results are even more successful here.

"2 Guns" is great fun, with a complex plot that is a tribute to it's comic roots. We get a lot of films like this each year, but director Kormákur's stylish effort is one to see regardless. It is derivative. But it's rock solid and elevated by it's two leads.
KJ P

December 29, 2013
If it wasn't for some cool action sequences and awesome chemistry between Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg, "2 Guns" would just be another average action flick, with a bland script and dumb plot lines. It's not the best action film ever, but the unique way they use storytelling in this film is very fun every time these actors are on the screen you will find yourself smiling, due to their vibrant presence. "2 Guns" has a well enough written script, it is directed very well, and the camerawork is not ham-handed in any way. I would definitely watch this film again, and that is not just me being modest. Sure it may suffer from a few predictable plot elements, but it comes right out of the gutter and surprises you. "2 Guns" is a very fun movie!
Al S

October 1, 2012
An old-style buddy thriller laced with non-stop action, sizzling suspense, outrageous humor and brilliant chemistry from its two leads that make 2 Guns, nothing but a good time from start to finish. A smart, explosive, wickedly funny and action-packed thrill-ride that's just pure fun. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg are at their best, they are a terrific buddy teams that mix great lines with bullets and style. Wahlberg and Washington deliver sensational and enjoyable performances, you can tell they had nothing but a good time making this movie together. The cast is just simply a blast. It's the best action movie of the summer. It's red-hot, hard-boiled and adrenaline-charged entertainment. It has plenty of twist and surprises. A sharply crafted and tremendously slick action flick. It's nice to see an action film of this caliber from being a fan of films like 48 Hours and Lethal Weapon, so this movie if great to watch for those reasons and a few more. Baltasar Kormakur blends the humor and intensity rather well and shows to be an exciting filmmaker.
Josh L

July 30, 2013
2 Guns is a pretty generic buddy cop film with a confusing plot and lack of focus. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg make a solid pair together, but everything around them is lackluster. The dialogue is childish at times and there's too many villains and plot threads. It becomes almost impossible by the end, which inevitably is a huge shootout with every character possible, to distinguish who is on whose side and what the point of it all is. It's also very violent. This isn't a PG13 produced action movie for the masses. The film makers go no holds barred on the profanity and gore. I didn't really enjoy 2 Guns all that much and unless you are an undiscriminating action fan, you probably will not either.
Stuart B

December 7, 2013
Very good buddy crime comedy, Washington and Wahlberg work very well together. Lots of laughs and plenty of twists.
Everett J

November 27, 2013
This movie is awesome! One of the most fun movies I've seen all year. Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington star as two undercover agents who rob a bank. After the robbery they learn that each isn't who they think they are, and that they have both been set up. Now, they gotta team up and learn to trust each other to find out the truth. There are a ton of twists and turns in this, some more predictable than others, but it's a very fun ride. Wahlberg and Washington have tremendous chemistry with each other, and Wahlberg hasn't been this good since "Departed". I laughed hard at some of his awesome one liners. The action is good and the supporting cast is decent. Bill Paxton is a great bad guy. This is one of those flicks that you just gotta sit down with a tub of popcorn and just be entertained. It's fun, and I hope they make another one, because this has potential to be like the new "Lethal Weapon" of this generation. Definitely check this one out!
Phil H

November 26, 2013
Whoa never knew this was adapted from a graphic novel, whether that work is any good I don't know (obviously) so I can't compare here. The main carrot on the stick here is...I don't know if there is one, so I guess its the team up of Washington and Wahlberg. Yep its another buddy action flick but this time one guy is undercover DEA and the other is an undercover Naval Intelligence Officer.

So that's the main surprise up front, you'd half expect this to be a straight up crime thriller with two lowdown criminals double crossing each other amidst much dark humour. Either that or you'd expect this to be a straight up buddy cop action thriller with lots of rebellious anti rule book attitude...but you'd be wrong. Two undercover uniforms trying to knab the same bad guy by stealing money from him so they can do him for money laundering. Thing is the cash belongs to the CIA and they want it back by any means necessary. And at the same time the Navy wants the cash for its own purposes, or some dirty officers do anyway.

Yes its yet another double crossing twist filled plot with lots of characters and various sub plots which leaves you wondering who's gonna get shot by their so called partner next. What I did like about this film is the fact that its uniforms fighting against each other, Navy, CIA and DEA, with some standard issue drug dealers in for good measure. That's the only original idea on the plate, the rest is just a mess of your average factory line greed induced back stabbing which has been done to death now.

The main duo played by Washington and Wahlberg are a good combination no doubt, they work well together and play off each other surprisingly well despite their clash in styles. It does feel a bit off track at times with Wahlberg coming across like the type of character you'd expect to see in a film like this, a kind of '48 Hours' actioner. Where as Washington does at times feel a tad out of place, he's a good strong actor and almost feels too rigid for the role, too epic if you will, for such a quickfire thriller.

Twenty minutes in and I was bored, sorry but I was. Nothing really happens in the film other than a lot of snappy dialog which tries to be smarter than it really is. The films poster shows the highlight of the movie probably because there isn't anything else to brag about. Olmos does make a good Mexican drug dealer in that stereotypical type of way, the dude looks so damn cheesy its almost funny. Where as Paxton is trying way way too hard to be a memorable bad guy and failing embarrassingly. He isn't in the least bit threatening or intimidating much like everyone else in the film, its just all wind and no fart.

A disappointing film which I can't really call an action film as it has none, and I can't really call a thriller as...you guessed it, it has no thrills. The only thing it can offer is the odd scene with the main duo verbally kicking ass, mainly Wahlberg as he's the smart ass, apart from that its got nothing. Even the big finale shootout can't save this I'm afraid, seen it all before, move along.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 11, 2013
Decent action film that could have been much better, 2 Guns is one of those movies that runs with an interesting idea, but due to a not so fleshed out script, fails to be extremely memorable. One thing that the film makes up for its lack of effective storytelling is its nonstop action. Despite its lacking script, Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg are quite good in their parts, and it's a shame that the film never reaches its full potential. This mindless action for what it is, but don't expect a film that has a well layered storyline. 2 Guns should have been a standout film, but it falls short. Wahlberg is pretty good in his part, and he does deliver plenty one liners that are quite good, however aside from the nonstop action, 2 Guns ends up being a decent affair that should definitely have been reworked. I really expected something much better, but I was a bit let down. For those wanting a well crafted action film with a great story, 2 Guns is not the film for you. Aside from the thrills and action, the film leaves a lot to be desired from its plot, and at times it's hard to follow. It's a good thing the film is entertaining because it distracts from its lacking moments. This film should have been much better, and considering its two lead actors, definitely could have stood out as a stellar action film. 2 Guns is action packed entertainment, however I just feel that the script would have been more polished before the cameras started to roll. The idea was interesting, but the execution has plenty of flaws. Still, it does a few good moments here and there strewn throughout the so-so final film.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

November 7, 2013
Nuts and Bolts.

Good action movie! The movie is rated R. Clearly there is quite a bit of violence. There's plenty of shooting, killing and explosions. It gets a little over the top but that's what you should expect from this kind of movie. There is also some brief nudity and plenty of profanity. In other words, this isn't a family film. What it is is a movie you go see with your friends. Buy some popcorn, lean back in your seat and just enjoy the movie and have a great time. It's not a "feel good" movie. But it will make you laugh and give you a good time. That's exactly what I want for my money. It's fun and absurd with over the top action.

Robert Trench, an undercover DEA agent, takes advantage of gunman Michael Stigman's idea to rob a bank to bust him and a mob boss. However, it proves too successful with much more money seized than anticipated with Trench's forces not stopping the getaway. Complicating things still more, Stigman turns out to be a Naval Intelligence agent who shoots Trench and takes the money. The interservice debacle suddenly finds Trench and Stigman in a bloody web of corrupt clandestine rivalries as they are hunted, blackmailed and isolated for the money on both sides of the law. Now, the fugitives must work together to find a way out of this situation with no one to turn to but themselves.
Apeneck F

August 10, 2013
Violence every which way but loose that our heroes smirkingly walk across almost nearly with a song, very Hope and Crosby. The buddy cop movie in all its glorious splendor, handing out plenty of gratuitous pain with a smile, have a nice day. The cast has the right stuff and the director delivers the goods. Think Lethal Weapon 6 (only better that that). Guilty pleasure anyone?
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

August 5, 2013
Witty shoot-em-up. Wahlberg and Washington have great chemistry, As in all these double-cross plots, I had no idea what was going on half the time, but it was still fun.
Shawn M

April 10, 2014
wasnt expecting much from this movie cus I was just bored watching whatever, and I enjoyed it. typical story but entertaining none the less.
Dann M

December 20, 2013
Entertaining and action-packed, 2 Guns is an explosive buddy cop film. Based on a graphic novel, two undercover officers unknowingly rob a secret CIA bank and end up on the run in an attempt to clear their names. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg make for a strong action duo and have great chemistry together. The writing is also pretty good, and is able to set a lighthearted, comedic tone. However, the plot is a little convoluted and over-the-top (even for a comic book action film). 2 Guns has some craziness going on, but it's still a lot of fun.
Byron B

April 13, 2013
A DEA agent (Washington) and a Navy intelligence officer (Wahlberg) are unaware of who the other is as they work together undercover to take down a drug cartel. In buddy picture fashion, Bobby and Stig compete and razz each other mercilessly as they try to fix the screwed up original mission. Paula Patton is Bobby's superior. They are having a fling and yet she begins to look more and more suspicious as time passes. James Marsden is Stig's crooked superior. Edward James Olmos is Papi Greco, the leader of the Mexican drug cartel, who opportunistically seeks revenge against our two heroes, but also will work with them if he thinks they can get the stolen money back. Bill Paxton is an unscrupulous, sleazy CIA agent. Through him the U.S. has been taking a cut of the drug money. So, Bobby and Stig, who don't always trust each other, have people coming after them from these four different angles. A ton of gunfire leads to just about every character being dead by the end.
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

August 11, 2013
DEA agent Bobby (Washington) and Naval Intelligence Officer Stig (Wahlberg) have formed a criminal alliance, neither man aware of the other's true identity. Bobby has been assigned with taking down Mexican cartel leader Papi Greco (Olmos) but struggles to gain sufficient evidence so he and Stig decide to steal $3 million of Greco's money from a bank north of the border so he can be charged with money laundering. When the men discover they've been playing each other, they find themselves caught in a three way conspiracy involving Greco, rogue Navy Officer Quince (Marsden) and corrupt CIA man Earl (Paxton).

'2 Guns' would seem to be aimed at males of a certain age, those old enough to fondly remember the great buddy action movies of the seventies and eighties; films like George Roy Hill's 'Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid', Walter Hill's '48 Hours' and Richard Donner's 'Lethal Weapon'. There's a thin line, however, between a loving throwback and a film that simply feels dated. Kormakur's film, based on a comic book, walks a tightrope over this line but quickly loses its balance and falls on the wrong side. He and his writer, Blake Masters, may have aimed for 'Butch & Sundance' but the result has far more in common with the likes of 'Harley Davison & the Marlboro Man'.

Most buddy movies contradict such a term, giving us a pair of protagonists who start off despising one another. This is where the conflict and comedy comes from. There's usually a clash of personalities, essentially a straight man/clown combo. '2 Guns' biggest problem is that Bobby and Stig are just too similar to each other, so the conflict is limited. Rather than two bickering characters, they resemble a pair of actors hanging out and having fun. This would be fine if the dialogue was smart enough to carry the lack of drama, but the script makes 'Tango & Cash' sound like it was penned by David Mamet. Coming in the wake of Shane Black's quip-tastic 'Iron Man 3', the cheesy lines here provoke more groans than chortles.
With a growing list of misfires on his CV, Washington quickly needs to find a project worthy of his talent before he becomes the next Nicholas Cage.
George F

August 4, 2013
2 Guns isn't very original, but it is enjoyable. I actually like it better than either of the Bad Boy flicks, which is what it feels closest to. Also, Wahlberg and Washington both seem to be having a great time and it's hard not to get in on the fun. Overall this was a fun couple hours at the movies. If you're looking for a decent action flick with some nice laughs throughout, you can do much worse than 2 Guns.