13%

54 Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 22, 2013
54 is a decent drama that boasts a good cast, but the biggest problem here is the fact that it tries to a broad movie in terms of storytelling, but it never gets quite there. Some of the cast were good, especially Mike Myers who is the film's strongest asset. 54 gives us a glimpse of the lifestyle and excess of the famed nightclub. This film is limited by a so-so script, one that is clearly underdeveloped. However I found the film somewhat entertaining, but it could clearly have been much better as well. The cast do what they can with the material and they manage to make it work for the most part. This is almost a forgotten film as no one seems to remember the film. The film is not great, but it manages to be interesting and it could have been much better as well. This is worth seeing if you have nothing else better to watch. Myers is good here and like I said, he is the film's best aspect here. The film is a decent drama that should have been much better, and it could have been much better if the script could have been so much better if the script would have been better written. Decent for what it is, 54 is mindless dramatic mindless drama that gives you a hint of what it was like to party in the famed night club. This is a film that scratches the surface, but like I said, should have and could have been much more as well. When the credits you do end up feeling like the film should have been more and you do realize that when the credits start to roll.
jjnxn
jjnxn

August 23, 2007
Good music and an excellent Mike Myers performance are the highlights of this movie but neither Phillippe nor Campbell can act so the film has two empty spots at its center.
Apeneck F

June 12, 2011
The decadence and debauchery of disco's palace comes off as only dull. Myers is good and Hayek --- she's always easy on the eyes.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

November 28, 2008
Light soap opera story, Summer of Sam captured better the mood of the time. Mike Myers is surprisingly not that bad in this role, probably the only passable performance the man has ever done. Also, somebody has any idea of why Hayek has a career in hollywood? She can't act and just because she has big fake boobs.....oh wait, nevermind.
Nicki M

January 19, 2008
Average - not as bad as some reviews made out, but nothing amazing either. Salma Hayek and the fun 70's soundtrack are the best thing about this movie. I never find Ryan Phillippe especially convincing as an actor either and this one is no exception.
Lewis C

April 19, 2008
Not bad, not bad at all. It's hard not to enjoy a film that's constantly beaming cool seventies music into your brain. Disjointed in places, but not badly enough to ruin the film.
mwilliams078
mwilliams078

April 11, 2008
This movie has one of my favorite soundtracks. If you want some feel good music then this is it one after anoher hot song thrown from the age of disco.

54, is a good film centering around a group of young hopefuls that (Ryan Phillippe, Selma Hayek) aspire to be rich and famous and be part of the elite in the famous 54 night club in NYC.
Lafe F

June 6, 2007
Great soundtrack! The Stars on 54 version of "Can You Read My Mind" is awesome. Great music. I wish I could go back to Studio 54; actually I was there in 2000 to see a production of "Cabaret". It was a great soap-opera of a movie with great music. I find myself wanting to re-watch this movie every year.
Jason S

March 8, 2007
Mike Myers was really good in this one. I think he should do more serious roles. The story was pretty basic though.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 25, 2007
really good but over the top, mike myers will creep you out in this one
Michael G

October 25, 2006
I don't know why, but every time its on I always watch it to the end.
Matt F

July 15, 2012
Suffering from a myriad of problems in several key departments, "54", billed as the fun disco-themed party of the 90s, never quite gets the energy up that high. One of the major issues is that nothing much happens throughout this movie plot-wise: we're supposed to witness the rise and fall of Steve Rubel's (Mike Myers) decadent empire through the eyes of wholesome-suburban-kid-turned-sexy-main-attraction Shane O'Shea (Ryan Phillippe). Breckin Meyer provides the friendship as Greg, while Salma Hayek and Neve Campbell provide suitable temptation from the opposite sex. Unfortunately, this listless effort makes it hard to recommend - from the wooden acting to the porous script, there's not much to like here. Even the soundtrack, a strength in movies of this ilk, seems thrown together without much thought. My advice? Check out "Boogie Nights" or the ultimate in disco fare, "Saturday Night Fever". Skip "54".
Christopher H

January 13, 2011
Mike Myers was the best part of "54". His performance is so unlike any previous roles. The style, the music, and the acting are straight out of the 70's. If you want to see Ryan Phillippe without a shirt for an hour and a half, then here is your chance.
Marcus W

November 1, 2007
I was intrigued as to whether Myers had any acting talent. Turns out he has a smidgeon. The rest of this plotless silliness revolves around Phillippe being topless and falling in and out of love. Perhaps there's some irony here in that the film looks amazing, but there's nothing going on beneath the surface.
moviefan1725
moviefan1725

August 6, 2008
The movie that wanted to be Saturday Night Fever. The movie does capture the decadence that was Studio 54, a place where anything went. It was THE hotspot of the 70's club scene, where everyday nobodys rubbed elbows with the Hollywood elite. Sex, drugs, all night disco music, and who knows what all were the norm, and you were nobody if you couldn't get in. Director Mark Christopher captures all of the this frenzy admirably, and the scenes in the club really do work. It's in places outside the club that the movie falls apart. We get cookie cutter family drama with Ryan Phillipe, marital discord with Brekin Meyer and Salma Hayek, and typical soul searching with people who don't know what to do when they've allowed themselves to be taken over by life's excesses. Mike Myers plays infamous Studio 54 Steve Rubell admirably. He's a squirly, sexually efeminate, want to be the center of attention worm, who would never get into the club if he didn't own it. The performances all around are fine, but there's so substance to any of the characters, or their stories. Kind of like the infamous club itself...all style, no substance.
Lee K

April 12, 2008
I was anxiously awaiting the release of this film do mainly because it was mike myers first dramatic turn as an actor. He didnt let me down in this true story as he portrayed the creepy coke snorting manager/owner of studio 54.
February 19, 2013
Lots of substances, little substance. I maintain that Boogie Nights cornered the market on "quality movie with a disco soundtrack."
June 13, 2009
it's 1998...we'll get ryan phillippe, mike myers, neve campbell...it will be great!

no, it won't!
February 7, 2008
fairly decent film, neve looked hott
so did salma, other than that, it was a very famous club that sadly closed
drasticmezyerz
December 2, 2007
It was entertaining. I think it could have been darker and grittier. But then it was the disco era.