5 Days Of War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

5 Days Of War Reviews

½ August 7, 2011
At times a little overacted and overblown, this movie wasn't too bad. This movie is definitely a propaganda film. Very, very pro-Georgia. Not to say they weren't screwed over by the Russians, but the movie got a bit too fantastical toward the end. It's good to bring to light the types of atrocities that occur to innocent citizens during wars, but there were an awful lot of "gimme a break!" moments for me. I think that alone made this movie just beyond watchable..
½ November 26, 2013
As, unfortunately, is often the case with realistic-ish war movies, particularly those based on actual events, is that real life is just not all that interesting. I found myself thinking that it had run its course, then realising that there was still 40 minutes of runtime remaining. It's rare for me to ever say that a film could use some condensing, but in 5 Days of War I have found such an overly-long piece.

The events of the film, which covers the Russia-Georgia War in the 2008 Battle of Gori, are remarkably biased in favour of the Georgians, portraying them as innocent bystanders in the South Ossetian events, and Russians as bloodthirsty thieves, rapists and murderers.

Val Kilmer makes for a surprisingly pleasant addition, and primary Russian villain, Mercenary Daniil, makes for a moderate badass, but nobody else is really much of a crowd pleaser. Most saddening though is the fact that 5 Days of War just plain doesn't bring anything new to the table. I'm always keen to get behind work involving British actor Richard Coyle (Franklyn, Outpost: Black Sun, Coupling), but I'm afraid this one just has no true positive aspect. Instead, it lingers somewhere in the realm of "tolerable". It's strange for a film so laden with military action to manage feel so stagnant.

30%

-Gimly
Harlequin68
½ December 31, 2012
In "5 Days of War," Thomas Anders(Rupert Friend), a journalist, gets a tip from the Dutchman(Val Kilmer), a colleague, about an upcoming Russian invasion of Georgia. Bringing along his photographer, Sebastian Ganz(Richard Coyle), Anders hooks up with Rezo(Johnathon Schaech), a contact in the Georgian army who saved his bacon back in Iraq. After which, they take in a wedding which is bombarded by Russian forces and then follow that up by accompanying Tatia(Emmanuelle Chriqui) north into the path of danger in search of her missing family.

Since "5 Days of War" is based on actual events, one might think the best route would have been a documentary. After seeing the havoc that director Renny Harlin wrecks with the material by almost turning it into an action movie at times, one would have definite cause to be correct. And to no one's surprise, the rest of it is not exactly subtle. While I am on the film's side in praising the heroics of war reporters in bringing news to light, especially in a conflict like this where Putin is not as heavily criticized as he should be, I think the movie's two main points are incorrect. One, I did read about Georgia being invaded in the newspaper, so obviously people did care. Two, the United States would not get involved because it did not want to cause World War III unduly, although comparing invasions would have been provocative to say the least. Otherwise, Richard Coyle hits the right gonzo notes and there is one great scene involving Rade Serbedzija and a chessboard that summarizes everything nicely.
January 10, 2013
Unfortunately the Georgians have only this movie to provide a fictional account of the Russian invasion of their territory. It is a Michael Bay treatment which removes most of the gravity of the actual situation. A shame.
½ May 12, 2013
Extremely impressive production value (only cost 12 mil) can't save this from being a cliched, blatant, poorly acted, jingoistic shitfest.
½ July 20, 2012
A movie seemingly designed to make Georgians stand up and cheer, it should make them and the people who love them quite happy. People who hate Russians (as the Finnish Renny Harlin evidently does) will also get a kick out of it. Otherwise, it isn't very good. It has some nice production values and cinematography but most other elements are poor, particularly the acting talent of the lead and the weak script.
April 18, 2012
Though most of the cast members have an average fame (i.e., not very popular, but quite well-known in certain circles too), the movie manages to become a stunning one. The spirit of valour in journalism has been played out well here. "5 Days of War" guarantees the audience that it will not disappoint.
April 7, 2012
This is a movie about REAL events from a REAL war that happened not long ago. So, most critics here, who obviously have NO idea about international politics should stick with criticizing non-political flicks they actually understand! Movie has some flaws (as ANY movie we know) but if you want to learn truth about 5 day war between Georgia and Russia, you will enjoy watching it.
December 25, 2011
I'm going against a majority of critics out there by saying that this was a good movie. It was entertaining, the production was great, the action sequences were awesome (thank you Georgian government), and the story wasn't too slow. Granted the story was, in fact, a little cheese and romanticized the war correspondent story we see a overdone.

That being said, there's not much depth here. We touch the surface of a war hardly any American has any knowledge of due to the Beijing Olympics. Most critics complain that the movie glazes over the important details of the 2008 South Ossetia War and I'm inclined to agree with them. If this movie was meant to highlight the details of the war in a more documentarian factor, then I would definitely have to give this only one star. However, I took this as a story about the experience of war correspondents and the people they encounter.

It's by no means Salvador, Good Morning Vietnam, or Blood Diamond, but if you like simple action it's highly recommended.
½ August 20, 2011
I wanted to like this movie, I really did. The premise is great, the beginning is great, but that's where it ends. It's really just a Hollywood shoot-em up for the last hour and a half that relies too much on suspense.

Still though, the story of Georgia is compelling, interesting and worthy of your time. I'd recommend watching this if only to begin an education on the topic. It hurts to not give this a better rating.
½ August 12, 2011
It has its moments and some of the action is very well shot but while the broad outline of the story is well meaning, the script is a bit weak. Still, works well emough for what it is and wants to be.
½ June 26, 2011
Slow going at the start but picks up interest at the end. This is a Renny Harlin film? One of the better things I have seen him do which, admittedly, isnt saying all THAT much.
½ June 19, 2011
Are full length conversations really being held during the heat of battle? Is it wise to kiss your woman in the middle of the street with Russian tanks on the way? And for god sakes Val lay off the Cheese Burgers! There's a decent story trying to be told, but unfortunately every Hollywood cliché imaginable is thrown in for good measure. Nothing new here.
½ June 18, 2011
Dear God, what is it about these directors that have no idea what war is like. The concept of having conversations during a firefight....what is that? Die Hard, that explains it all to me. I am really upset that i wasted even a minute watching this very bad rendition of a very serious subject that needs to be told. Please, leave it to the great directors to cover educational and historic events. Man....Val Kilmer is getting fat.
June 17, 2011
Not nearly as bad as expected. After all it did take almost 4 years and cooperation with the Georgian government. The film won't make it big in the theaters -- but that was never its purpose.

The movie has some decent battle scenes, but unfortunately the nature of the production prevented it from becoming any more than that: "good guys" in uniforms Americans can associate with and the caricature "bad guys" -- a mob of the baddies going through the town shooting all the time either in the air or at [presumably] civilians. That alone simply ruins the film because, ideologies and propaganda aside, it had some well directed shots and decent plot points.

Sadly, however, the plot is so twisted in an attempt to make a spin on the conflict that it breaks anything solid it may have had. Plus of course the baddies who came right from the 90s cheap action movies and have little to do in a decent production.

In short: it could have been a good movie, but instead they chose to pursue a different purpose.

In all fairness Russia has made a movie like this much faster. The funny thing is that it follows the same story line, just switch the sides.

But let it be clear for all those who did not follow the news: Georgia did start the war, it bears most of the responsibility for that particular stage of the conflict and loss of innocent lives on both sides. But its not solely responsible: it is sad when innocent people get caught up in political conflicts.

"In a war of ideas, it is people who get killed".
½ June 14, 2011
Andy Garcia is good... but that's about all this film has going for it.

Although the subject matter is important... the main characters do not get the job done.
March 30, 2016
the movie being clear anti-russia propaganda notwithstanding, it's not a very good movie with very unconvincing plot.
January 10, 2013
½ January 12, 2012
I don't know what I was expecting... I guess, 11 positive reviews got me wondering if there was something to this movie. I guess - not.