Autumn

Autumn Reviews

iLeo
iLeo

February 16, 2011
An interesting movie that follows a small group of people surviving a post-apocalyptic event when a virus eliminates the general population. Michael, Carl, and Emma are amongst the remaining few that are alive. The three decide to leave the city in hopes of surviving in the country, until their actions attract those returning from the dead.
Dexter Fletcher, Dickon Tolson, Lana Kamenov, Anton Brejak, and David Carradine stars. Worth seeing!
NuditysShiver
November 10, 2011
Being in the low budget section of cinema, Autumn made due with what it had. Here we have a different take on the zombie culture with the film concentrating more on it's characters than the gore aspect of its brethren. A sudden virus seems to take hold of the surrounding countryside, having people drop suddenly frothing at the mouth. The remaining survivors hide out in a building, then break off on their own, with three deciding on a quiet setting away from the city. Thinking they're safe from the undead, they quickly make a home for themselves until the dead start to get more aggressive and start wandering into their quiet resort in the woods. Like I stated previously, the film centers on the three surviving characters and how they deal with what's going on around them. The zombies at the start seem to be passive, wandering aimlessly around the town, but somehow start to become accustomed to their surroundings and are provoked with random noises; for instance, a generator that is being used by the three survivors. For people who like unrelenting assaults of zombies attacking, this film is not for you. Autumn is more dialogue-driven than anything else, having an amateurish backdrop when it comes to it's camera angles. The zombies are not bad for being low budget and when the gore scenes did come about, they fit right in to what the creators were going for. By the way, David Carradine's small part in the film was rather dumb and wouldn't have affected the script if he was left out.
June 21, 2011
I liked how the zombies started out in this one, and how the people treated or reacted to them. That added some humor, and David Carradine's part was interesting. Not the best zombie movie, but not the worst either.
jam233
April 14, 2010
This movie is part ?The Happening?, part ?Carriers?, part ?Dawn of the Dead? and ?28 Days Later?, except it is not as good as any of those. It also is a sign that it completely lacks originality. It very much has some slow parts, the acting isn?t bad, but certainly not good either. It looks low budget, the special effects are adequate. The poor sound quality doesn?t help. I was not very impressed.
John W.
August 14, 2013
The virus that wipes out most of the populace happens quickly and brutally, it's only later that the survivors realize the dead are returning to a semblance of life. Autumn's interesting take on the zombie apocalypse has a progression from shambling undead to higher and higher levels of aggression and movement. Unfortunately, the character driven story and dialogue aren't strong enough to keep us engaged. Worth seeing, but disappointing that they weren't able to do more with it.
August 10, 2013
Low budget, kind of shoddy zombie flick. Characters aren't that good, though I was pretty surprised to see David Carradine. The zombie concept was actually a bit interesting, being mostly harmless at first but growing more aggressive as the days went by. There isn't much else original though, and in the end it's mostly a below average obscure zombie movie. But then again.
April 1, 2013
I'm open to low-budget zombie flicks. I own a couple hundred zombie flicks . . . I am actually sad I purchased this one. Least it was a used purchase. Slow, choppy, mostly three people arguing and very little action.
T-Hunter.
November 12, 2012
Autumn is a zombie movie that is centered around a group of survivors after a unknown apocalypse. The survivors are attracted to a building that is playing music where they meet other survivors. The show is then centered around the decisions that would be made by survivors in this very situation, I would say this part of the movie was very well done. One aspect of the movie is we the audience get to see how people evolve from corpses to zombies and how the survivors react to each stage that the zombie evolves.

Overall I thought the movie was slow, you have to be a zombie movie fan to watch this movie, I have seen worst Zombie movies and overall I would not recommend this movie to even the most die hard zombie movie fans.
February 26, 2012
Boring, dull, poor camera effects, poor acting.
scarletheels
January 20, 2011
The lighting is extremely poor throughout most of the movie, which is the least of my criticisms. The best acting comes from David Carradine (say what?) while the rest of the unknown cast members do an excellent job of putting the audience to sleep. There isn't a single redeeming quality. I'm a B-movie horror fan so my standards aren't set high but [i]Autumn[/i] is absolutely foul.
September 27, 2010
this movie fucking sucked. don't watch it. ever. unless you hate yourself. then go for it.
thirdman
July 8, 2010
The one thing I want out of a good zombie movie is one that is more character driven than zombie driven. Meaning, I'd much rather have interesting human characters be the main focus of the film than the actual zombies they are trying to avoid or kill. I've said that numerous times, in many zombie movie reviews before this one. But for the first time ever I'd say I wish it were the other way around with writer/director Steven Rumbelow's Autumn. Autumn is very character driven, so much that the movie is almost halfway over before a flesh eating zombie finally makes an appearance.

Autumn, like so many other zombie films, takes place right as civilization comes crashing down. A mysterious virus spreads, killing billions of people around the world in a matter of minutes. The movie focuses on one small group of survivors who try to make sense of the events that lead them to this point, as well as trying to live in a world without order. I wouldn't have minded this, since I prefer humans over zombies in a zombie flick. But Rumbelow's screenplay is as dead as the countless rotting corpses littering the streets in the film.

There is absolutely no character development throughout the film. Eventually this band of survivors splits off into separate groups, and we follow three survivors who take refuge in a countryside house. From there it's a lot of scenes of them eating food, watching television, fetching supplies and other menial tasks. Even when the dead bodies come back to life things don't get very interesting. For the first half of their reanimation the zombies just stumble about. And it's a long while before any of them start to eat human flesh. But even at that point they aren't much of a threat, since it is extremely easy to get away from them.

About the only thing I liked about the zombies was the make-up done on them. Where there was very little attention spent on plot and substance to the film, a great deal of attention was spent on creating some great looking zombies. There are various levels of decay that the zombies have, and my personal favorite were the extremely dark, almost burned looking ones. I just wish the film found more useful things for the zombies to do.

Autumn felt like a weird combination of films and stories like The Stand, The Happening and even I Am Legend. I'm sure that the film had high aspirations, but it failed to succeed at any of them. I'll give it some credit for having some awesome make-up effects. But this one is far too character driven, and the characters are of the dullest I've seen in any zombie film, making Autumn a difficult experience to get through.
Master Love
June 10, 2010
Lets start with the poor lighting, bad sound, and poor editing. Top that off with one of the worst performances of David Carradines' career, Dexter Fletcher's annoyingly pretentious character, and a bloody terrible ending, and you have what makes for an incredibly bad time.

After watching this movie I seriously considered taking it back to blockbuster, and asking for a refund.
jazza923
April 14, 2010
38/100. This movie is part "The Happening", part "Carriers", part "Dawn of the Dead" and "28 Days Later", except it is not as good as any of those. It also is a sign that it completely lacks originality. It very much has some slow parts, the acting isn't bad, but certainly not good either. It looks low budget, the special effects are adequate. The poor sound quality doesn't help. I was not very impressed.