43% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

99 River Street Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

February 17, 2011
Back when drama and suspense made a movie and not sex and swearing like the American movies of today. Made in 1953 this movie stands out there as it is full of drama and suspense. A fighter is just seconds away from becoming the world champion but gets hit above the eye in a fight and with that his dreams and fight days are over, his wife finds another man and his troubles begin. He's just a cap driver now and she wants more, so she helps a thug steal some diamonds and that too goes wrong, Movie is full of suspense and has a full cast of fifties stars who made a lot of different TV series appearances. A Old B&W that gets 4 stars
rubystevens
rubystevens

August 9, 2009
a terrific overlooked noir, likely the best film of director phil karlson's career. john payne plays a washed up fighter who's constantly reliving his lost shot at the title, struggling as a cabdriver with a dissatisfied wife. what is it with boxers and noir? needless to say, he gets mixed up in a dangerous game, giving him one last shot at redemption. i don't wanna give too much away. everyone is great here, especially evelyn keyes as a standup dame trying to help him out of the jam. check it out
Stephen E

September 23, 2012
"99 River Street" isn't anything to write home about (and please forgive me for using that phrase), but it more than passes the time, which I'm sure is the reason why it was made in the first place. Of course, it's unlikely that you'll remember anything about it once it's over, but John Payne provides a formidable hero and he ventures through a plot that includes a myriad of twists; two of which really got me. "99 River Street" is forgettable but enjoyable entertainment, and that's sometimes the best kind.
jam233
April 4, 2010
Luke W.
January 3, 2014
Great acting all around, and the plot is interesting as well, with some interesting twists and turns along the way.
Dave J
October 28, 2013
Monday, October 28, 2013

(1953) 99 River Street
THRILLER

Solid low budget thriller is like reliving a very bad dream which centers on ex-boxer turned blue collar cab driver getting himself mixed up with some bad cronies unaware that his wife had something to do with it.

Although the movie is outdated, the way his fellow cabby workers believe the main protagonist and of course help him resolve his complicated situation feels very authentic since in real life an innocent person can't clear himself without the help of others.

3 out of 4 stars
Stephen E

September 23, 2012
August 18, 2011
This movie is one of my favorite film noirs of all time. John Payne stars in this 1953 classic, and I consider this one of his best performances. He plays a failed boxer that has to turn into a cab driver to scrounge up enough money to support his bitter wife Pauline (Castle). She runs to a villainous crime leader Vic for love and money, but when when John Payne's character Ernie finds out, he goes on an angry rampage, causing him to be wanted from the police. Then the worst happens and Vic kills Pauline, and frames Ernie. With the help of his lover (Keyes), Ernie has to prove he's innocent. "99 River Street" is so much more than most famous film noirs, like "The Big Sleep" or "Out of the Past". It has non-stop violence, killing, for once the actors really REALLY get into their characters, which was amazing. I consider this to be John Payne's best role, I have never seen an actor get so angry onscreen besides Robert Ryan's racist bigot Monty from "Crossfire". Payne most certainly should have been nominated for something but most likely didn't because this was a B-movie. Noir usual Evelyn Keyes is phenomenal here, and proved she could do just about anything in her role. This was my first movie seeing her, and I can say I'm coming back for more. The cinematography is certainly worth mentioning, the smoky dark atmosphere mixed with the shadowy lighting all comes out in a very eery quality, and almost mirrored every action on camera. Bravo to director Phil Karlson! "99 River Street" is almost too overlooked, and once any film noir fan sees in they should know theyre in for a wild ride. Recommended.
jazza923
April 4, 2010
77/100. Impressive "B" film noir, it's short and with an incredible pace. Wonderful cast. John Payne is so underrated, he gives and exceptional performance. Snappy dialog, well written. A solid and taut film, well edited.