A Christmas Memory Reviews

½ November 25, 2010
Not being exposed to this story in an older version, I can appreciate this story as one that reflects a simpler time, and yet reflects a writing style that we are in too much of a hurry to write today. This story is an example of the times, the love, and the heart of this era. It portrays people who lived in tough times, and made sacrifices to do good, even when the cost was high. I enjoyed this.
jjnxn
August 2, 2008
Pleasant enough but missing a certain magic, Patty Duke overdoes it just a bit although her final scenes are good. For a superior treatment of a Capote story watch the Grass Harp instead.
Ryan M
October 29, 2010
5.9/10

Surprisingly decent, as far as pretty much non-existent, apparently "award-winning" adaptations of famous pieces of literature go. "A Christmas Memory" is consistently enjoyable thanks to the fact that it's never too bad and never too good. Could it be better, considering what it's got? No, probably not? Could it have been worse? Oh yeah, it most definitely could have been. Nevertheless, the black-and-white imagery as well as good narration from Capote himself make "A Christmas Memory" anything but memorable, but still enjoyable to watch. If you've got time to kill, then maybe it's worth it. All that I know is: I haven't laughed at a movie/short film this much in a while, and at the same time know that it's moderately "well done". A drunk scene set near the end pretty much takes the cake, complete with both the boy and the family dog getting their share of whiskey. If they weren't drunk, then I don't know what the hell they were doing dancing around as they were.
If there were one thing I could ask for out of a short film such as this, it would be a little bit of emotion. The emotion here is mostly fake, and it's coming out of pretty decent actors as well. It's a shame, because a story like this should by all means be more tender than it is here. Nevertheless, when it ended I felt (sort of) satisfied. But one question remains: How does one achieve awards with mediocrity?
December 14, 2011
Family movie night was today's advent calendar activity. Ethan gave this a 5. Rodd preferred the version narrated by Truman Capote, but that wasn't on Netflix.
½ December 18, 2014
This adaptation of Truman Capote's A Christmas Memory is a valiant effort and not badly done. Though it does not live up to the wonderful 1967 version with Geradine Page as Sook...it is worth the look see especially since the Page version has never really been given a top quality DVD or Blu Ray release (which it so badly deserves). If you are aware of Capote's The Grass Harp...I think you will see that this particular filmed version is a combination of both the A Christmas Memory and The Grass Harp....and it works to a point. Patty Duke does a great job being Sook Faulk....she can always be counted on to give a fine performance. Have been a fan of the written work and having read it so many times it is almost burned in my memory...this script does lift the narration and the dialogue from the short short pretty faithfully. So, enjoy it for what it is....while we wait for the 1967 version to be released for all the world to once again enjoy.
½ December 17, 2010
A great, touching story that the whole family will enjoy. Very cheery and heartfelt, I completely enjoyed this movie.
Ryan M