A Troll in Central Park Reviews

Marc L.
½ April 9, 2011
I actually really liked this movie as a kid. Older kids and teenager's obviously won't be taking it seriously, but if you're a young kid, or someone looking for a sweet, cute movie, this is for you.

The plot is pretty creative. It is about a troll named Stanley, who has a green thumb which can grow flowers. Unfortunatley, he lives in a troll kingdom where bad=good and vice versa. In this world, growing flowers is against the law, and so Stanley is banished to Central Park. However, the troll queen Gnorga, wants to kill Stanley, and is putting together an evil plot to turn him to stone.

The songs are pretty good too. I especially liked Gnorga's "The Queen of Mean". It's very catchy, with some creative lyrics and a nice beat. Stanley's "Green" song was pretty nice too.

However, there are some points where this movie can be too cutsey. Like in the dream boat scene, which I highly reccomend skipping over, and most of the scenes with the little girl. This is probably why it got such bad reviews.

This movie has some likeable characters too, like Stanley and the kids, though some might find them a bit annoying.

Overrall, this is actually a very good kids movie and I reccomend you see it if you are in the mkood for a movie with heart.
MeetMeinMontauk
October 6, 2010
I loved this movie when I was a kid. I really should give it a re watch because it is Don Bluth and I don't remember much about it all
Frisby2007
½ July 7, 2011
After years of not watching this, & many, many days of thinking if I should even re-watch it again, I finally took the decision to watch it again. Well, I sure didn't regret it, but the movie still sucked.

Now before I continue on, I must say that even thought the movie sucked, it's not the worst [animated] movie I've ever watched, & it wasn't hard to sit though it like people make it out to be. And I'm also not all too fond of Don Bluth's films. I've watched almost every one of his films, but I have yet to see The Secret of NIMH, & Titan A.E., & I only liked a handful of them; Anastasia, & The Land Before Time. An American Tale was lame, & All dogs go to heaven was scary (remembering it). I must re-watch Thumbelina, Rock-a-Doodle, & The Pebble & the Penguin (all of which I loved as a kid).

Plot/Story: Now I'm gonna give Don Bluth credit for coming up with such an original story, however, he did not execute it well. The story is predictable, the plot seems rather mindless & weak, & the movie is way too damn childish as a whole. No, I'm not kidding when I say that almost every part of this movie is childish. From the designs of the characters, to the morals & message this movie tried to deliver to them. Kids are not stupid for this movie. And the ending was idiotic on so many levels. Stanly decides to regrow all of central park with his powers since Gnorga destroyed all of it. It sounds fine so far, but then he decides to exaggerate & play around some more with his thumb, & went on to filling the entire city with plants. People would both freak out, & end up possibly dying of both allergies & even of insanity.

And as far as I can see, this movie did poorly, very poorly, in the box office. Why? Well, Don Bluth is to blame. He never gave this movie a green-light. For the handful of people who probably don't know what that means, it means that Don Bluth never gave this movie a single commercial or trailer, let alone even a sneak preview of it. So no one ever heard of this movie, & I'm pretty sure only less than a handful of people looked at the title in theaters & decided to go watch it.

Characters: The characters in this movie annoyed the hell outta me. Not to mention that the main characters look like like other characters & animals from previous films by Bluth & like the rest of other visible characters in the film, & they were also uncreative. The flowers all look the same & poorly drawn, the pedestrians don't have any distinguishing features, the animals look like the dogs from "All Dogs Go to Heaven", & the trolls all look alike except for a handful. Gus is a spoiled & stubborn little runt that deserve a good spanking. His sister Rosie, the only character in this movie who possibly has a brain, is just a toddler who does nothing more than yadda yadda yadda yadda & doesn't seem to really care about anything. Stanly, oh Stanly, one of the most uncreative trolls ever. Sure he's nice & different from other trolls, but his tasteless, & cheap design make him completely useless. And did I mention he's got a green thumb? Litterally. His thumb is both green & takes the term to a magical level. With one touch, he can grow anything relevant to plants.

Queen Gnorga is an evil character alright, & her own thumb has a special power as well, she can turn things into stone. But she's just too damn goofy, & is as offensive & threatening as a twig. Oh, & did I mention the battle between Gnorga & Stanly? The two give hardcore thumb wrestling match between each others' magical thumbs.

Animation/Coloring: The animation is spectacular, the best thing about this movie. Some scenes & imagery is pretty interesting as well, but the coloring was at times very dim & a little too colorful for the eyes.

Songs/Score: Now I'm going to be honest, the songs in this movie sucked, ass. The one song I actually liked (& I mean liked) was the first song sung by Gnorga, "Queen of Mean". The rest of the songs were boring. Now the score in this movie is beautifully composed, I especially loved the opening score for the movie, & it also matches the entire movie.

Dialogue: It's so laughable. Most of it sounds idiotic, & corny. The corniest thing I've ever heard in this movie was when Gus gets angry at Stanly & tells him something like "You're a coward you know why? Because you'll never live your dream" or something like that.

Acting: Now this is the other thing that was well done in this movie. The voice acting for the characters was well done. Each of them sounded both realistic & exactly like their roles.

Finally summation, this movie sucks, ass. I never liked nor hated it as a child, but I enjoyed it then, but re-watching it now, it's a horrible movie that kids shouldn't be forced to watch.
Gavin the moviejunkie1994
½ July 10, 2010
I've seen some of Don Bluth's works that were both magnum opus and decent at the same time. Doing a bad animated movie would be tricky, but not impossible. Great care would have to be taken. Let's see...

Oh, I know. Let's get Dom DeLuise and Charles Nelson Reilly to play an annoying troll and a pointless king and let's get songwriter Barry Mann, the singer who wrote "Somewhere Out There" from An American Tail. You get "A Troll in Central Park", Don Bluth's greatest stinker from the early 90s.

The story was a complete mess, the characters were annoying and undeveloped, the moral lessons were mind-boggling (the second one near the end of the movie was about being patient), and the songs were bad. Even the villian wasn't that terrifying.

I'll give Don credit. The animation was good, the visuals were creative and I think the voice acting's not that bad, but they're the only saving grace for this stinkfest of a movie.

Personally, I now realize that all of this wasn't Bluth's fault. I think that Warner Bros is the one to blame because they just caused his career to go downhill. I hope you're happy, Warner Bros. You just flushed down Don's career even though it's been 16 (now 17) years since you made this piece of garbage.

Maybe I'm being to critical. I mean, this is a kids movie, right? So, I think they will like it. As for fans of Bluth, however, this isn't a good movie for you to watch.

* 1/2 out of *****
½ August 22, 2007
Classic.
½ February 18, 2009
How annoying is this troll. Jeez.
½ August 1, 2011
This is the worst don bluth movie and 1 of the worst animated movies of all time, if not just 1 of the worst movies ever!
½ July 20, 2008
OMGOSH THIS WAS MY ALL TIME FAVORIET MOVIE WHEN I WAS A LITTLE KID!! I WOULD RENT IT OVER AND OVER! LOL NOW I WANT TO WATCH IT! =)
October 6, 2007
Oh! I loved this movie as a kid! It was just the idea of an ugly troll thingy that has a green thumb fighting againt the forces of a nasty witch thingy always caught my interest. It was wonderful to me. I even have to admit it is one of my favorite childrens movies now.
October 3, 2007
One of the most perfect children's movies I've ever seen. I highly recommend this for parents of imaginative children- or just parents sick of seeing unwatchable swill.
½ May 6, 2007
So, I was watching this with Farley (my girlfriend) and she pointed out, "Why did Gnorga think that Stanley could not grow any flowers in Central Park?" If Stanley has a green thumb, why didn't he start growing shit right away; instead of showing off for the baby? And when she kissed that ugly little troll, he was all jumping around and happy/excited which is gross...fucking pedophile. What else? Oh, I don't know...it was bad. Not even any kiddy fun. F.
May 9, 2007
so cute i wish i could see it again !~ this was just the most fun movie i had when i was younger f!~~
April 8, 2007
I love how it is all environmental. It made me want to take up gardening. And water it with my tears.
February 21, 2007
My favorite movie when I was a kid....
Still is one of mine, and always will be!
I love you stanley!!!
January 20, 2007
one of the movies i have been in love with since i was a young child. i love a troll in central park. it's one of the cutest children's movies i've ever seen.
January 20, 2007
omg!!!! i never thought i would see this movie again. it is so old. i used to watch it all the time when i was little. i think that we got rid of it a couple years ago so some other little kid could enjoy it.

i must say that i do not recall all of the story's tagline but i do know that it is about two kids who go on a magical adventure with a troll and the get chased by some queen of the trolls or something like that. i think she was a queen and the troll hated her or something like that. she got furious and sent her goonies after him but they failed and she went after him herself. well anyway i did love this movie.
August 9, 2006
My Best Friends Little Sister We Call Her a Troll And She Looks Like a Troll and This Reminds Us of Her. :P Not a Good Memory!
April 5, 2006
This is soooooooo cool, I love this movie a lot, It is a cute little movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ July 10, 2015
i thought it was terrible
June 14, 2015
Not a bad kids' movie. Takes an unfair amount of reactionary criticism from the pushy environmental overtones. It's not great, but it's not that bad, either.