Above the Law - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Above the Law Reviews

sanjurosamurai
November 28, 2007
sets the stage for what every other seagal film would be for me - entertaining and fun to watch, a guilty pleasure, although the same as every other film he has ever made in most regards. overall, i love this movie.
kpn666
½ February 22, 2007
After watching it again, I realised that there was more to this film than a typical Seagal flick. For starters, its his first major hit and it also set the standard for the 90's cop thriller drama. Dont expect this to be an action movie, its a cold hard thriller with Seagal for the first time showing his red hot temper and devestating his opponents as he battles a shadowy CIA group dealing drugs and weapons from South America and into the US. Framed, harrassed and finally marked for assassination, Seagal plays Nico, a diamond hard cop and special ops veteran who crosses the path of his old enemies from Vietnam and the black group who believe themselves to be untouchable.

With a good cast and helmed by Andrew Davis (Under Seige and The Fugitive) it is a plot worth thinking about as you dont know how the pieces fit together until the latter part of the movie, so its not a typical dmub story, its got meaning and a moral, which is expressed through Seagal's script and narrative.

Very modern and slicker than your average movie, this one is worth watching, dont dismiss it as a cheap Seagal flick, its probably one of his best.
middleeasternfilms
March 18, 2008
Seagal's first starring role with a very impressive cast led by Blaxploitation-veteran Pam Grier as his long-suffering partner, Sharon Stone as his wife and Rat Pack hangaround Henry de Silva as the bad guy. A good movie and a sign of things to come for Aikido-legend Seagal - at least until he did Under Seige 2.
deano
February 5, 2007
This debut action film of karate expert Steven Seagel is fantastic and bloody tough in the cop thriller. Director Andrew Davis gives the movie style, pace, and gets the best acting out of Seagal yet.
July 30, 2007
Steven Seagal could have been a good actor and this is proof.
October 12, 2007
Classic Seagal.
August 26, 2007
Old school..Yup, there's nuthin' sweeter than Revenge
: )
August 7, 2008
This was Steven Seagal's first movie and pretty much summed up the way his films were going to go, marital arts-crime stories with overly despicable villains and our hero saving the women by out-fighting everyone. It was also a surprise to see Sharon Stone playing a nice role and without makeup. Overall, a decent action flick but not one of Steven Seagal's more memorable films.
xxdebxx
January 2, 2010
Above the Law, Steven Seagal's first movie was not his best, but it's still good. He stars as Nico, a cop breaking every rule in the book to expose corruption. Seagal is a Master in Aikido and several other Martial Arts and manages to steal the show with his the well staged fight scenes and I enjoyed seeing his bone breaking, limb popping technique. With help from Sharon Stone and villain Henry Silva, this film is non-stop action film that is filled with excitement for all.
½ April 17, 2009
Early Steven Seagal movies are a guilty pleasure of mine, and Above the Law ticks all the boxes when it comes to 80's action movies. With plenty of great fight scenes, cheesy saxophone music, and bad hair. What's not to love.
½ February 6, 2016
The opening sequence with Seagal training in Japan looked like an awesome set up to a martial arts movie, but it quickly changed gears and turned into a really boring cop movie. I can't even remember if I finished this movie.
September 13, 2015
Seagal's first and his best movie. Tough, brutal and violent
with good performances from the supporting cast.
August 11, 2014
The movie that introduced the world to Steven Seagal. That may leave a stain on this flick for all the people who have come to dislike the prick, and he is, but for 5 movies, starting with this one, I was a fan. Of course I was 10 and I was just happy my dad was letting me see an R-Rated movie(Actually, I think I may have seen this without his permission, shhhhh) This is the first in what I call the Nico Quadrilogy, even though the 3 that followed had no real connection to this other than Seagal is a one note actor with one character. He does that character really well as he was able to do it successfully for 5 movies. UNDER SEIGE being the fifth, but that character is at least slightly different from the NICOs. Seagal has been a mob enforcer(rumor), CIA black ops(rumor), security for high level public figures and dignitaries(sort of confirmed) and a homeless guy(confirmed for sure). But he is above all a martial artist schooled in the art of Aikido of which he is a 7th degree black belt. This, he is very good at which makes Above the Law and it's 3 non-sequel sequels so entertaining. They are bad, but the good bad. The 80's had Arnie and Sly, the early 90's had Seagal and Van Damme. Yeah the 80's got the better end of that bargain but still, fun stuff. Also has a very early performance by Sharon Stone and a wasted Pam Grier as Nico's partner. She should've got more badass things to do.
March 31, 2014
There is something mesmerizing about how wooden Steven Seagal is... especially when he's running. I was more impressed with his ability to speak four languages than I was with the action
September 6, 2013
This was the first film that got that ball rolling for Steven Seagal, who like Jean Claude-Van Damme would rule the late 80s and early 90s with karate action flicks. I thought this was a very good film to get Seagal's film career rolling.
July 4, 2013
Above The Law is a ridiculous action film about corruption, but it's an entertaining film nonetheless. The story and acting are hammy as can be, but the film makes up for these flaws through awesome action scenes which are always over the top and a lot of fun to watch. It's all fluff and no substance, but it sure is a hell of a lot of fun to watch. If you enjoy popcorn action films, this one will fulfill your needs.
½ March 26, 2012
The story would be better if it was segal's true life story without him in it. As is this movie is nothing, but a hostile takeover by segal.
½ December 5, 2011
As far as Steven Seagal movies go, this was a pretty good debut flick. It's nice to see Pam Grier getting some work too.
½ March 30, 2011
Steven Seagal's debut, it does not lack in well-choreographed fight scenes. But that is about all that shines in this film. Acting is sub-par, and the story seems lazily-written. If action is all you're looking for, then this film will not likely disappoint.