A.C.O.D. - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A.C.O.D. Reviews

MANUGINO
January 30, 2014
He's about to ruin a perfectly good divorce.

Good movie! I went into this film with an open mind. I enjoyed the film as both a comedy and a drama. In this film, you see revealed some painful truths about human nature and complex family relationships--always with humor and compassion.

A.C.O.D. follows a seemingly well-adjusted Adult Child of Divorce (Adam Scott) who is forced to revisit the chaos of his parents' (Catherine O'Hara and Richard Jenkins) bitter divorce all over again after his younger brother (Clark Duke) decides to get married.
PantaOz
January 17, 2014
The first-time director and co-writer Stu Zicherman, himself an A(dult).C(hild).O(f).D(ivorce)., is introducing us the new relationship comedy and digs deep into Carter's (Adam Scott) psyche to come up with some pretty funny stuff. Great supporting cast includes Catherine O'Hara, Richard Jenkins, Jane Lynch, Clark Duke, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Amy Poehler and Jessica Alba, and their acting was easily enjoyed.

The main character Carter (Adam Scott) runs a successful restaurant, has a loving girlfriend (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and hardly has to bother with his parents, Hugh (Richard Jenkins) and Melissa (Catherine O'Hara), anymore. He thinks of himself as a well-adjusted adult, and that's why he is helping his younger brother Trey (Clark Duke) to organize a surprise wedding trying to get both his parents to attend it, a feat at which Carter succeeds all too well once the respectively remarried Mom and Dad begin to hit it off behind their spouses' backs.

If we go into details and analyse Zicherman's work, it was very solid providing plenty of awkward laughs. It is well adjusted American farce. This is recommended for everyone who likes remarkably sharp look at family dysfunction and its repercussions over the years, of course with some funny moments during the 87 minutes presentation.
½ August 1, 2015
I really enjoyed this. It's rather televisual but it's surprisingly well written ably performed by a very likeable cast.
½ January 7, 2014
After taking a gander at the cast list and seeing the likes of Scott helming this supposed comedy of Jenkins, Lynch, O'Hara, Poehler and Winstead, I was intrigued to see just how funny this crew could be based off their previous works.

Unfortunately, most of the comedic value comes from Jenkins and O'Hara. For some reason, Jenkins seems to be in the same role over the past few flicks. The father figure with a crazy side is turning into his niche. Scott does an all right job carrying the movie with an interesting take on adults who grew up with divorced parents, but the movie flip flops into comedy and drama territory too often.

Winstead has come on strong recently, but she wasn't given enough to do and Poehler was amazingly quiet. Lynch was more of a bystander and instead of her parts being funny, she came off more obnoxious. The real goofs came from jenkins and O'Hara hacking it up together on screen.

Maybe I didn't connect with the plot as much as others because I didn't grow up in a split house, but there wasn't enough to make me feel included.
½ September 20, 2013
Y'know, for some weird reason I just didn't love this the way I expected to, especially considering the talent involved. It has a few funny moments, but overall, I was just coasting through it from start to finish.

Rental.
½ September 23, 2013
Tries to be commentary on divorce but just turns out to be predictable and doesn't really have anything to say that we haven't heard before. Good cast keeps it from falling apart. It's not that bad, I didn't have a desire to turn it off, but it did turn into background noise while I checked Facebook too many times through the middle of the movie.
December 9, 2014
I thought this was going to be great considering the cast but I wasn't to impressed. It was a very dull movie.
June 11, 2014
This movie just did not click with me. A.C.O.D. (which stands for Adult Children of Divorce) tells the story of Carter, an A.C.O.D. that seems to have adjusted to his life. He's been dating a girl for four years, has his own restaurant, and seems pretty happy. When his brother announces that he's getting married to his girlfriend of four months, however, it is up to Carter to reunite his divorced parents for the wedding. Naturally, all hell breaks loose, and so we have our story. As a comedy, A.C.O.D. doesn't really work. Its dry humor and excellent cast are sure to induce smiles, but I never found anything in the movie to be outrageously funny. Adam Scott's comedic timing as Carter is pitch perfect (he is perfect for the role), but the script just doesn't work most of the time. The supporting cast doesn't get much screen time to truly make their characters seem three-dimensional, and while Carter is in every scene in the movie, I was never really quite satisfied with the way the story took him. I would have been much happier if the movie had focused on a numbered few characters and really fleshed those ones out, because as it is, A.C.O.D. feels like a movie filled with excellent actors playing paper thin characters. The plot still works, and the acting is still excellent, but A.C.O.D. could have been a much better movie with a better director/screenwriter.
May 28, 2014
Funny at times and meandering at others, with an ending that just didn't pay off. There was potential, but it didn't pan out. A waste of an endlessly talented cast.
May 6, 2014
This wasn't the movie I thought it was. I thought it was a movie based on a David sedaris essay, but no. The movie is just ok, and the impressive cast deserves better.
May 5, 2014
A.C.O.D. has its funny moments and a great lead in Adam Scott, but a sharper wittier touch could have brought more out of the interesting and fruitful subject of being an adult forever caught in the middle of divorced parents.
½ February 18, 2014
Written and directed by Stu Zicherman, A.C.O.D. (Adult Child of Divorce) is a semi-autobiographical film about marriage-phobic thirtysomething Carter (Adam Scott - 'Parks and Recreation') who discovers that the divorce of his parents fifteen years prior wasn't as clean and tidy as the disastrous blowout actually appeared to be when he discovers he was a subject of an unofficial and unauthorized psychological study about children of divorce by a quack wannabe physician (Jane Lynch - 'Glee') his parents knew years ago. When his younger brother (Clark Duke - 'Greek') announces his plans to marry, it is Carter who must try to smooth things over with his argumentative parents (Richard Jenkins - Jack Reacher / Catherine O'Hara - Waiting for Guffman). Carter -- who believes he is a well-adjusted individual and has a very hard time accepting that he is a character in a non-fiction book he can barely stand to read -- sees his world crumble around him when that quack psychologist appears out of the blue wanting to write a 15-year follow-up about her C.O.D.s, his parents don't really hate each other that much and his business falls on hard times as his personal life begins to veer out of control. While the film has a few laughs and the cast is comprised of some strong comedy bit players (including Amy Poehler and Jessica Alba [who is better at comedy than she is at drama]), it mostly feels like a re-hash of scenes and situations seen before while the few "twists" the film thinks it is giving its audience are actually predictable yawns. The movie comes across as generic as it lacks originality and feels like every other movie about children learning more about their parents than they wanted to know.
½ February 9, 2014
This movie was a decent film or above average compared to most other indie films. This movie wasn't really funny or dramatic enough to be good at either genre. If you can rekate to the character it has much more significance to you. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone, but it was watchable largely due to its cast and short length. It got a little uninteresting for me personally though.
January 27, 2014
I really didn't know much about this movie before I watched it. So I didn't expect much either. But it really exceeded my expectations with an on-the-nose cast and the ironic humor. Providing just enough background on Carter's (Adam Scott) childhood, there is a good balance between the effect of the divorce on his past, and the effect it has on his choices in the present.
½ January 25, 2014
Adam Scott and director/co-writer Stu Zicherman infuse A.C.O.D. with enough heart that it makes up for the film's lack of originality or heavy doses of humor. I say heavy doses of humor, because there are some pretty funny moments here, but I think they mainly come from the performers on screen rather than the script. This is such a hilarious cast that you can't help but finding yourself smile, whether you're laughing or not. There is a lot of fun and a lot of heart in this film that even when things start becoming too conventional you're so invested in these characters, you don't care.

Adam Scott is the best part about this film, and if you're a fan of his work in Parks and Recreation, you need to see this. He has an uncanny ability to be humorous, charming, and vulnerable all at the same time. Given some better material, I think we could have seen something truly amazing here.

But his supporting cast aren't slouches themselves. From Richard Jenkins and Catherine O'Hara's constantly bickering parents to Amy Poehler and Ken Howard's eccentric step-parents to Jane Lynch as the unqualified psychologist to Clark Duke as Scott's newly engaged brother, every character shines in this film. And I have to give a specific shout out to Mary Elizabeth Winstead who brings so much passion to every role that she is irresistible in everything she does (and if you haven't seen her in Smashed, what are you doing with your life?).

There's not much here that you won't see coming or haven't seen before, but A.C.O.D. is a joyful look at a very serious subject matter. I'm sure there still needs to be a serious look into these characters, but A.C.O.D. is just the kind of light-hearted distraction many of us love from our movies. Especially if you admire Adam Scott, or the always wonderful Mary Elizabeth Winstead, you'll want to check out A.C.O.D.
January 20, 2014
I liked it and I can relate to some of it. if you've never been divorced or you're lucky enough that your parents are still together, you might not get it. I'm sorry all you kids of divorced parents!
January 14, 2014
I was surprised to discover some depth in what I thought would be a mindless goof comedy. That being stated, the tone of the film is more than just a little bitter -- it is angry. Not fully satisfying, but certainly worth a look. Catherine O'Hara and Richard Jenkins are particularly strong as would be expected.
½ February 24, 2016
Waste of time, nothing is really happening and everybody is overreacting. The plot could have been told to someone in one sentence and it wouldnt be a popular party talk. Also, what was the real purpose of Jessica Alba's character that appeared in the story and made absolutey no difference in the story whatsoever? Love the actors but the story was not very exciting.