Adam Had Four Sons Reviews

jjnxn
December 9, 2007
not a great movie, Ingrid is a little pallid but Susan Hayward is great as a scheming homewrecker.
PantaOz
April 13, 2012
I have to admit that it's embarrassing how did I found this movie... I was checking movies I've seen from Bergman and on data base I found this one. Got it and too late realize that it wasn't the director Bergman's movie but Ingrid Bergman's... it was her second movie in America! It is typical romance movie of that time in which Warner Baxter portrays the wealthy, easy-going patriarch of a family that falls on hard times after the death of his wife and a stock market crash. Recently arrived governess Emilie (played by Bergman) works to keep the family together but the financial loss of Adam Stoddards (Baxter) fortune means that Emilie must return to France. Reversing his fortunes takes several years and after that Adam recalls Emilie to look after it... but there is a twist!

One of the sons, David, returns with his new wife, Hester, (played by Susan Hayward), who turns out be a conniving woman who wants to rule the roost...

Screenplay was engaging, but I have to say that cinematography was below the average. I liked the acting of all the stars in this movie, while directing could be done by any film student and no one will notice the difference! It's a good material for anyone interested in the film history...
February 6, 2014
A wonderful film from start to finish. Make sure to add this one to your collection.
April 23, 2013
Well scripted and directed, Bergan stars in this tale as a governess who promises a dying mother to look after the family. She keeps her promise, at a price to the fondness and respect she had earned of all - including herself.
PantaOz
April 13, 2012

February 9, 2007
Very fine classic film, Ingrid Bergman's second American film is a heartwarming tale, wonderfully acted. It is great to see Susan Hayward in an early bitchy role, she's terrific and it's clear why she became a huge star.