—— The Identical Sep 05

Addams Family Values Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
The ghoulish Addams clan return for another cinematic go round, and, like many sequels, this one fails to live up to the goods that the first delivered.

Well, I say that, but this one sometimes does a few things better than the first, but in the end still fails to surpass it.

The plot is basically the same as the first one, with a woman using Fester to get to the family fortune, though this one also spends a lot more time with a subplot, with the subplot being the best parts of the movie, and where the main focus should have been.

What we get here is a gold digging serial killers who makes Fester her main target. The subplot sees Wednesday and Pugsley shipped off to a summer camp for privileged kids, and Wednesday having to come into her own as she contends with the reprehensible snobs of the world.

This one isn't a fresh or fun as the first, but it does feature more scenes of the Addams family having to interact with the 'regular' world, especially with the subplot. This leads to many moments of fun commentary and satire, a lot of which works, though a fair amount of it is on the nose.

The stuff with Fester and the gold digging Debbie has its moments, but I think they could have come up with a more inspired plot and a better fitting antagonist. Given how the Addams family are the ultimately idle wealthy who also don't generally fear death, it's a bit tough to find a genuine threat, but I think they could have pulled it off, and just didn't because they felt more comfortable coasting on fumes.

The film is funny, but not as much as the first. The art direction, set design, and all that are still good though, and I liked that almost all of the original main cast returned, and not only that, but that they once again delivered some decent work. Even though I have mixed feelings with her character, I think Joan Cusack did fine as the main antagonist, and Carol Kane is an okay replacement for the late Judith Malina as Grandma Addams.

So yeah, even though this is a step down, it's still an okay film. It could have been a whole lot better, but it also could have been so much worse.
Phil H

August 16, 2007
For me this sequel didn't quite hit the mark and I just can't pin point why to be honest. All the cast return so continuity is fine accept for the character of 'Granny' and this time the family have a two new members in the form of 'Baby Pubert' and 'Debbie' the psychopathic widow who goes from one man to the next.

I didn't really like the story choice for this film as it centres on 'Fester' again just like the first, maybe they could of used another character or a couple together perhaps, I also never really liked the baby premise as it tends to lean to much towards childish slapstick. The plot line about the black widow 'Debbie Jellinsky' wasn't too bad and did recover some more dark undertones but I think it should of been used with 'Gomez' maybe, plus I didn't really like Joan Cusack's performance at the time, its grown on me since.

I also never liked how the continuity of the film changed so much from the first (cast aside). Mainly the Mansion is in a different location, it looks different on the outside and the interior is vastly different. Some people won't care I know but things like that I notice and they annoy me, it doesn't make sense! why couldn't they keep it at least remotely the same?.

Unfortunately that's what we got, a lot of silly childish slapstick and baby humour all centered around 'Pubert', yes it was still ghoulish and macabre but it really stooped for the kids.
Things got better with 'Pugsley' and 'Wednesday' at their summer camp which introduced us to the allergic Jewish boy 'Joel Glicker' played wonderfully by David Krumholtz. The whole sub plot here was really quite funny and more devilish with the sinister camp leaders played eerily by Peter MacNicol and Christine Baranski with their 'harmony hut' torture hehe its a shame the whole film couldn't keep this tone of black humour throughout.

Again the film does look lovely in terms of costume and sets with more natty quirky visual effects and bizarre camera angles which add to the kookyness. I think this film just went that touch over the top, just a hint off the wall which made it feel a bit too much like a live action cartoon at times. At least the franchises posters still looked really sweet.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 10, 2012
Pretty good sequel to The Addams Family, the cast from the first film come back for more horrifying comedic fun. Although less memorable than the first film, the filmmakers craft a funnier film than the first. However I much preferred the original. With this entry, director Barry Sonnenfeld keeps a fine mix of humor and horror as the cast go through the zany material effortlessly. Enjoyable for a good time, and if you loved the first, then you're sure to like this one. I thought that the cast did a fine job here, and I thought each brought something new to the roles that made them unique from the first flick. I think it was sad though that it was one of Raoul Julia's last performances, and at least he went out with a bang as Gomez Addams. He really made the character his own in this sequel, and overall it's a fine tribute to a terrific actor who was a perfectionist of his craft, and the result shows on-screen. The Addams Family values delivers all the dark humor overtones you'd expect from the first, and though it's less perfect than the first, it still delivers great entertainment. Despite its flaws, the filmmakers still manage to overcome its imperfections and manage to make a film that is a good second and is a sequel that still plenty of effective gags and ideas to make it worthwhile. The Addams Family Values is demented good fun and succeeds at exploring new territory to keep the viewer interested. Where many sequels have failed, this film succeeds and is a must see for fans of the first.
Jens S

June 13, 2006
One of the rare cases of the sequel easily topping the original film. With all characters of the insanely morbid family already established the film simply has fun going from there, throwing out one gag after another. As Fester is meeting the woman of his dreams, the kids are sent to summer camp, where they have to deal with blond bimbos and hippies. That culminates in the most hilarious deconstruction of a thanksgiving play ever put on film. The mean-spirited, disrespectful and deeply black sense of humor is refreshing, considering the majority of stinkers the 90s brought us in the comedy genre. Sure, this doesn't have much of a plot, but the characters and jokes make for very entertaining 90 minutes. Especially Christina Ricci's Wednesday is absolutely hilarious.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
This sequel to the Addams Family movie of the previous year, is slightly sillier and incorporates a bit of hip hop, but other than that it has the same dark humor and great actors from the first movie. I really enjoy this movie, and I highly recommend seeing it if you enjoyed the first one.
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
The sequel is slightly better than the first, but only just. This one is certainly funnier.
Dean !

January 3, 2007
A pretty good gothic comedy with some good gags. Similar to The Munsters TV series.
thmtsang
thmtsang

June 24, 2007
good movie about eh spooky family.
puffchunk
puffchunk

September 24, 2007
Eh....
Dean L

July 18, 2007
I loved the first installment of this series and I am sure there would have been more had Raul Julia not died. This time around we get Joan Cusack thrown into the mix and she does a great job. This movie and the first pay true homage to the series.
Apeneck F

July 11, 2007
me likey, bigtime
Lafe F

June 6, 2007
Better than the first movie. I loved the little baby. Joan Cusack's plot to woo Fester's love was a great one. Wednesday and Pugsley made the movie for me, with their attempts to hurt the new baby and their rebellious behaviour when they get sent to summer camp.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 11, 2007
not as good as the first but not terrible either
Jason S

December 28, 2006
Not bad. Could have been better.
Sophie B

July 25, 2006
Some one said i was like wednesday! rude! but this film is grreat
Leigh R

November 9, 2006
I liked it.
Stuart B

October 3, 2006
OK
Dann M

August 11, 2014
The strange and bizarre antics of the Addams Family continue in the off-the-wall sequel Addams Family Values. The story follows a black widow who poses as the Addams' new nanny and attempts to seduce Fester; meanwhile Wednesday and Pugsley are sent off to summer camp. Unfortunately, the comedy isn't as edgy and morose as the first film. And, the cast give rather underwhelming performances; except for Christina Ricci, who really steps up and carries the film. In fact, it's the B-story that delivers most of the laughs as Wednesday gets into a rivalry with one of her fellow camp mates and rebels against her counsels. Though it's not as good as the original, Addams Family Values is still hilariously entertaining.
Mouhannad S

December 9, 2010
Sooooooooo fanny and strange family
I enjoyed in watching this movie and I don't think that was horror movie