• PG-13, 1 hr. 47 min.

100% Orphan Black: Season 2

Admission Reviews

Nicki M

February 19, 2014
So glad I didn't buy this one. (Was tempted when I first saw it out. Comedy with Tina Fey and Paul Rudd. Would have to be worth a look, right? Hmmm. Not so much). Quite dull really. Drags along, not overly funny. Just meh. Okay to have on in the background, but bland story light on laughs.
Cynthia S

August 16, 2013
Critics can take a hike! I really, really liked this! It was sweet, funny, touching, and an all around perfect movie for me. I love Paul Rudd, and I have a new found admiration for Tina Fey. I even liked Lily Tomlin's character. Not all comedies have to be roll-on-the-floor laughing comedies. Some, like this one, just make you do a lot of smiling. :)
Daniel P

December 30, 2013
I think critics and crowds have been unduly harsh on this movie; while on its face, it's a light romantic comedy, it rises above its insipid comparables in stakes, realism and story. The central gamble in the plot - that the student John (Paul Rudd) wants to get into Princeton is Portia's (Tina Fey) son - pays off, adding a further layer to the already interesting question of how (or if) such elite institutions make space for students who don't show promise in the conventional ways. The laughs are honest, and aside from a few sentimental missteps there's a real, human story on display here. It's a movie that walks a line between convention and novelty, and it's refreshing compared to the same old same old that this genre of film usually delivers. I highly recommend; it's not perfect, but it's accessible without talking down to its audience... something becoming rarer and rarer at the Megaplexes.
Josh L

July 27, 2013
Admission is a misguided comedy with talented actors caught up in a distasteful screenplay that betrays everyone in it. The story takes many unexpected twists that start out as fresh ideas, but end up being contrived and unpleasant and manipulate the audience, something I'm on record as hating in movies. It's unfortunate because Paul Rudd and Tina Fey do a good job with what they are given and have some funny scenes and enough chemistry to work as a couple. The premise of the film is something that has decent social commentary about college admissions at prestigious schools, but by the end it gives in to some of the exact things that it condemns along the way. I really was disgusted by the final act of the film after liking most of what was there before it. Ultimately, because of this, I cannot recommend Admission, but if you are looking for a unique comedy with a few laughs and nice performances then you could do much worse than this.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 15, 2013
Let someone in.

Good movie. The comedy is subtle, so those wanting Tina Fey's SNL goofs will be unhappy. It is not for young kids. They will be bored. It it not for the high action/adventure people. It is for folks who like an amusing story well told. Overall, it's nice entertainment.

Straitlaced Princeton University admissions officer Portia Nathan (Tina Fey) is caught off-guard when she makes a recruiting visit to an alternative high school overseen by her former college classmate, the freewheeling John Pressman (Paul Rudd). Pressman has surmised that Jeremiah (Nat Wolff), his gifted yet very unconventional student, might well be the son that Portia secretly gave up for adoption many years ago. Soon, Portia finds herself bending the rules for Jeremiah, putting at risk the life she thought she always wanted but in the process finding her way to a surprising and exhilarating life and romance she never dreamed of having.
Everett J

June 26, 2013
*1/2
Paul Rudd + Tina Fey= Hilarious comedy, correct? Wrong. You see those two together, and instantly you would think, this is going to be awesome. Instead you get a very boring, over long, dramady that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Fey stars as an admissions officer for Princeton. Known to reject a ton of kids, it's hard for kids to stand out of the crowd. Enter Rudd, who is a teacher at a new school and has a unique student whom he thinks should be accepted into the college. The student in question could also be Fey's baby that she gave up for adoption many years ago. Now she is faced with the knowledge that this could be her child and whether or not to help him get admission into one of the most elite colleges in the country. It just sounds boring, but when you add those two actors, you would expect some kind of laughs and chemistry, but nope. It's almost like they made this with the intention of making the two leads as uninteresting as possible. I nodded off a couple times, and Emily stayed awake, but she didn't care for it either. Movies like this are usually her cup of tea, but here she thought the same thing I did. It's just not very good. Reminded me of another Rudd movie called "How Do You Know", where they completely mishandled him. Just forget all about this movie and pass it over for some of their better actual comedies.
Apeneck F

April 11, 2013
The idea of a Fey/Rudd romcom plays better in your head than this film actually does, which is the real surprise here. Somehow they disregarded the magic the film should've revolved around - and so what's left are threads, decent threads, that don't connect. Unsatisfying. Liked seeing Tomlin again.
Markus Emilio Robinson
April 8, 2013
Even though Tina Fey has a few witty lines, there is simply nothing here.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

March 29, 2013
Entertaining. It was a rather complicated plot but they pulled it off without being contrived. Tina Fey is pretty good as a regular actress--just enough funny to be appealing, just enough regular to make the character believable. Paul Rudd is the perfect date movie, well, date. The movie itself is, I'm assuming, a rather realistic look at how admission to an Ivy League school works in 2013, which is frightening. That kids arrive for opening day of college in anything other than complete mental collapse is a miracle. The movie was also an interesting look at motherhood/fatherhood and people leaving their DNA strewn around without thought of the consequence. Only nit-pick--and isn't there always one?--is the mother (Lily Tomlin) who was GREAT, but her role as a self-absorbed a*h* of an ex-hippie mother is a disturbing trend in movies. They aren't ALL like that, although they might be the most interesting.
Bradley W

February 4, 2014
Admission had its charming performances from Tina Fey and Paul Rudd, but its just not very funny and the emotional moments didn't really touch me.
Dann M

October 2, 2013
Tina Fey and Paul Rudd lead the cast in the satirical comedy Admission. The story follows a Princeton admissions officer who has a midlife crisis when she's confronted with an applicant that could be her son. The comedy's pretty good and works especially well in the hands of Fey and Rudd. Additionally, the satire is rather clever and has some poignant things to say about the education system. However, the plot is formulaic to an extent and is rather predictable. Smart and fun, Admission is a solidly entertaining comedy.
PantaOz
PantaOz

July 22, 2013
I love watching good romantic comedies with the right company, and when I saw this movie directed by Paul Weitz and starring Tina Fey and Paul Rudd, I thought - this must be funny! But the story of the straight-laced Princeton University admissions officer Portia Nathan (Tina Fey) wasn't funny or romantic. Even when there was an opportunity to make it funny or romantic, for example when she makes a recruiting visit to an alternative high school overseen by her former college classmate, the free-wheeling John Pressman (Paul Rudd), the director misses it. I am not sure who to blame, him or the screenplay written by Karen Croner which was trying to be smart and unevenly developed. The director knows how to do it (About a Boy), but in this film based on the novel by Jean Hanff Korelitz, he tries to play safe and safety slowly disintegrated everything into nothing. It tried to have some kind of authenticity, it was partially shot on the Princeton University campus (whilst many of the film scenes were shot at Manhattanville College in Purchase, New York)... but the lack of real substance was too obvious for anyone to be drawn in.

Just another movie to be seen and quickly forgotten.
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

April 16, 2013
An Admission of guilty pleasure at times, Tina Fey's latest cinematic venture doesn't make the honor role but a solid 'C' gains it a letter of acceptance. When H'Wood usually focuses on higher education, it takes dead aim at the Valhallan extracurricular activity known as partying. Here, however, the material proves more Paper Chase than Animal House...and not in a stuffy manner either. Rather, Admission is more higher minded about higher education, even if it still checks off some formulaic boxes before commencement. The flick doesn't always juggle romantic comedy, workplace comedy, and family comedy with great ease either, but the leads' awesome chemistry deserves high honors.

In this PG-13-rated romantic comedy from director Paul Weitz (In Good Company), a straight-laced Princeton University admissions officer (Fey) makes a recruiting visit to an alternative high school overseen by her former college classmate (Rudd), who has surmised that a gifted yet very unconventional student might well be the son that she secretly gave up for adoption.

Truly, Tina Fey tends to get a pass from this reviewer. But boy, has she earned it. Even when her comedies don't generate a ludicrous amount of belly laughs (Baby Mama) or pride themselves on being a disposable but fun piece of popcorn (Date Night), her natural beauty, always spot-on performance and - in some cases - gift of prose betray a wit and wisdom for the H'Wood ages. Together with Paul Rudd, a long-underrated comic actor who's finally getting his due, it's the perfect setup for an often well-played - but not exactly uproarious - comedy.

Bottom line: Flirty Rock.
SC007
SC007

March 31, 2013
This film took me by surprise. I thought I wasn't gonna like it, especially hearing how critics didn't like the film. However, after watching the film, I was pleasantly surprised. The film is very entertaining. The film reminded me of movies like Smart People, Wonder Boys, and One True Thing.

Tina Fey shines in this film. I would love to see her do a straight out drama. She has a great on screen chemistry with Paul Rudd. Lily Tomlin steals the film as Fey's mother. Gloria Reuben and Wallace Shawn are great in their supporting roles.

I definitely recommend this film.
Alec B

September 22, 2013
Fey and Rudd are their usual charming selves but the script is boring and occasionally feels like it was written at a Screenwriting 101 seminar.
JC
JC

March 23, 2013
Denied due to too many wandering plot points and an uninspired script. Paul Rudd rose above this movies' mediocrity but I get the impression he's not acting but just being Rudd in real life. Don't understand the love for Tina Fey - she is a better writer than actor. Lily Tomlin and Wallace Shawn were entertaining. Only LOL moment was the Bella Abzug tattoo on Tomlin's bicep.! (3-23-13)
April 4, 2014
Tina Fey and Paul Rudd together should have made for a damn funny movie. I'm not sure why this is considered a comedy, because it really wasn't. I'm not saying it wasn't enjoyable, it just wasn't what I was expecting. Paul Rudd can do no wrong in my book, unless he went on Duck Dumbasty or something like that, and he was great here as well with what he had to work with. There are definitely a few laughs strewn about, just not enough to make it fun. I guess the only word I can come up with to explain this film is dull. I didn't hate it, as a matter of fact, I liked it just fine, it was just kind of dull.
xanderearl
January 7, 2014
This movie sucks. And to add insult to injury, it made me kind of depressed to be an admissions counselor.