Adventures in Babysitting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Adventures in Babysitting Reviews

½ July 4, 2014
A rather silly yet mildly enjoyable comedy that belongs in the '80s with its cheesy, dated jokes and inane sense of humor (as when someone calls another a homo as a slur), and today it won't be seen as more than an ordinary pastime that can still offer a few laughs.
September 25, 2010
"Adventures in Babysitting" is honestly one of the cheesiest films that I have ever seen. As a seventeen year old is stood up by her boyfriend, she is subdued to babysit for a little girl. This quickly turns into having to babysit her brother and his friend. I do not have much to say about this movie. It is fun for the first half hour, that is when you know what you're in for and you wait to see something hilarious happen. Truthfully, I was very let down, seeing as the film kept it's slow pace throughout, and I felt no real tension when they were intending it. Overall, it's written for little kids even though there is far too much adult references for kids to see, the director seems like he had a lot of fun making it, which is not necessarily a good thing, the one-liners are almost dreadful, and the situations made me role my eyes so much that I got bored. Also, it is about 20 minutes too long and could have had a much wittier writer. But it's harmless and I guess I liked it a little bit.
August 10, 2007
Funny movie about a girl whose boyfriend cancels their date. She agrees to babysit some kids but has to leave the house to rescue her friend who has run away. They get into all sorts of trouble,
June 9, 2006
This is a real fun and entertaining look at how what should have been a nice quiet ordinary night of babysitting turns into a madcap romp where everything that could go wrong, does.

I'm kinda all over the map with 80s pop culture. I've got a love/hate relatiosnhip with it. I saw this when i was a kid though, and it has stuck with me for some odd reason. Maybe it's because, depsite beign a farce, it's really fun, and it's got characters athat are hard not to like.

Elizabeth Shue does a great job as the girl who would rather party than babysit, but when she suddenly becomes single again, she finds herself with nothing better to do than watch some kids. It's not wahrt she wants, but hey, she'll get money out of it.

From there things spiral out of control into a journey all across Chicago featuring all kinds of odd characters as our lead sets out to protect the kids and maybe even indulge in a bit of self discovery.

Though not a masterpiece, this is a hard film to dislike. It's fun, zany, and a fair way to kill some time.
½ May 27, 2011
Adventures In Babysitting is for me one of Chris Columbus best films. After her friend gets stranded, babysitter Chris Parker must come to her rescue and brings along the kids she's babysitting along for the ride. And it's quite a ride. Whats supposed to be a routine pick up, turns out to be a much bigger problem. Chris and the kids she's babysitting encounter a creepy looking tow truck driver, a group of car thieves and a group of Blues musicians in a bar. Adventures in babysitting is a well made comedy with a good cast of actoir that are very funny in the roles they play. The story is fun, and original and Chris Columbus has pulled out one of his best films. Adventures in babysitting is is a classic and is fun for the whole family. The film has many memorable bits and really its a fun film to watch. The characters are funny especially Daryl.Adventures in Babysitting is a great film to watch and like the title implies is an adventure. The film is constantly entertaining with little boring parts. You are constantly amused as the characters struggle to get home without their parents finding out about what really happened. Adventures in babysitting is one of the finest comedies of the 80's Definitely a film worth checking out and guaranteed to make you laugh a few times. The cast are brilliant and Chris Columbus delivered a well crafted and memorable film.
May 7, 2008
This is another 80s classic that is a rare film and I absolutely love it! :) It has everything. Comedy, romance and suspense! Elisabeth Shue is great as the babysitter, Chris Parker and who could forget the characters of Brad, Daryl, Sara, Dan, Pruitt, Brenda, Joe, or Dawson aka Thor. I love this 80s classic and I'm sure you will too! :) :) :)
½ September 6, 2010
This is a great teen/kid adventure comedy movie with an excellent cast and story. I love it, and I highly recommend it.
July 13, 2010
Elisabeth Shue is a stellar performer, and this is one of her many masterpieces. Cute, funny, and adorable to boot. A winner!
½ June 12, 2010
Completely underrated and about as fun as 80s comedies come. If anything else, it's Elizabeth Shue as the ultimate babysitter. Every time I see it, it just becomes more apparent how original and outlandish this movie gets. I think the story pounced on an untapped market, hot babysitters taking charge. It's full of great characters and has a very episodic nature to it. It's incredibly goofy and of the times, but I love it anyway.
November 8, 2007
An 80s classic!
½ December 27, 2006
This is one of those fun adventure movies you watched as a kid and wished your life would be as fun.
The cast is great and there are a couple of them that went on to do more with their careers than others. Some of the situations they find themselves in are a little out there but in the end that doesn't matter. It's good fun all the way.
There is even an appearance by the superhero Thor that is pretty cool as well.
July 30, 2007
The truck driver and the girl who loves Thor.
July 5, 2007
A truly fun and exciting film with Elisabeth Shue and the kids she is babysitting - having an incredible series of misadventures one night, all over Chicago. The characters and situations they encountered were numerous and exciting. A fun night out with the kids!
½ January 11, 2007
great but unrealistic adventure
½ November 9, 2006
Fantastic film.
October 1, 2006
Elisabeth Shue's babysitter character is funny and beautiful what I thought when I was a teenage.
August 11, 2014
"Don't f*** with the babysitter!" Elisabeth Shue is in for the ride of her life in Adventures in Babysitting. Directed by Chris Columbus, the film follows a teenager named Chris Parker who receives a call, while babysitting, from a friend in distress, and is forced to taking the kids she's watching with her into the city as she attempts to help her friend. The plot is kind of formulaic and follows a lot of the tropes of teen comedies. However, the charisma of the cast (especially Shue) helps to make the material work. And, there's a fun theme with Marvel's Thor that provides some good laughs. Additionally, Columbus keeps the tone lighthearted and brings a sense of whimsy with his directing style. A little silly and cliched at times, Adventures in Babysitting has its flaws but is still an enjoyable romp.
April 22, 2009
Exciting and funny and full of adventure around every corner.
June 6, 2011
a laugh out loud teen comedy where the real adventure, is babysitting. A