Aeon Flux Reviews

LWOODS04
April 28, 2009
"Great action! Charlize Theron kicks some major ass in this movie and she looks awesome doing it. I really didn't know much about this film or what it was about. I stumbled upon it on Netflix streaming. I thought I would watch thirty minutes of it just to get a feel of it. Before I knew it the film was over. I completely got swept away into the story. It was unlike any film like I had seen before and I found that refreshing. The story is fast and there is never a dull moment. I enjoyed it a lot and thought it was a good sci-fi action flick. I don't enjoy much of them, but this one is worth seeing."
TheDudeLebowski65
August 3, 2011
Aeon Flux is a pointless action film that can only be described as a complete mess. The action was elaborate, but I felt there was too much going on to make this a good film. The film focused more on the action and special effects than it did on story and substance. Theres very little going on in the film to really make this a memorable action film. I love mindless action films, but Aeon Flux misses the mark in that respect. The acting I felt was sloppy and the directing wasn't that great. The way the story moved along was pretty clumsy and I really lost interest after a while. This is one of Charlize Theron's worst films and what really sucks is that Aeon Flux could have been something good. Instead the film is a lazy attempt at trying to dazzle the viewer with great special effects that tries to cover up the paper thin story and wooden acting. The idea of the film was good, but it was poorly executed and the results are a film that mildly entertaining but never reaches its potential and by the time the credits role, you realize how much Aeon Flux was a mediocre picture that could have been much better. Whats really a shame is that theres some good, talented actors such as Frances McDormand and Pete Postlethwaite are wasted here. Aeon Flux could have been a great film, but the filmmakers opted to conjure a special effects laden film instead, which doesn't work.
September 7, 2010
Sadly, this is nothing like its animated counterpart. It's stupid, corny, pretentious and horribly acted. It retains none of the elements that made the TV show so cool. Charlize Theron certainly looks the part, but she just doesn't put forth the effort necessary to play a machine gun wielding assassin. Some of the concepts are just downright hard to believe (hand-feet???). The only thing I liked was the girl fight really. The CGI is almost hard to watch, it looks as though some things were even unfinished. I really wish I could say this is enjoyable on some level, but it's really not.
July 29, 2010
a really wierd movie. its not horrible but its not good. its okay but if your not missing anything. C
April 23, 2010
I couldn't work out what the flux was going on most of the time. That's it's main problem, style over content but even then, it's not that stylish - or at least it's been done better and many, many times before. If they'd have spent as much as they had on the writers as they'd spend on the SFX it would have been pretty good! Did anyone else expect Pete Postlethwaite to say 'I bring you love' in a high pitched voice? ;o)
January 23, 2010
When it first started it seemed to have alot going for it, but when the action and severely bad dialogue kicked in, it got way too cheesy!
November 6, 2009
This is a pretty cool film. If you liked Dune and watch programmes on the Sci Fi channel then you will like and probably have already seen this. I compare it to Dune because it is a bit odd and completely unbelievable. If you like your characters with emotions then stay clear.
A Truly Twyzted Kytten
August 23, 2009
Just when you thought Charlize Theron couldn't get any skankier-Whammo guess again, Ben 10. I am not a Theron Hater, I just hate that she hardly thinks before throwing on this pathetic leather jumpsuit (which also makes her look like a broomstick is shoved up her wazoo-No wait, a broomstick IS shoved up there!) and letting herself be cartoonized once more.
It's another case of " Oops, they suckered me-Another 15 bucks down the bloody drain" Again, writing this, I shake my head. It wasn't horrible, it was horrifying.
The cinematics and style are electrifyingly awesome...for ten minutes. Then the flashy flipping around on impossibly high heels, and dodging an incredible (even compared to the Matrix) amount of bullets got boring. Beyond boring, it was draining. I simply couldn't focus on the plot after so many acrobatic feats left me dazed and confused(Slow Ride, Take it Easy!! LOL I went home and watched that).
Soon, I came to understand that there was no danger in the film to any of the main characters but her former partner, and stopped caring what happened. The theme, of course is that Human dependency on goverment and technology will end us(also something vague about immortality and the moral obligations against it)-a very common Sci-Fi theme. The characters of course, followed a very strict code of one-dimensionality and dispensibility. The villian attempted some two-dimensionality in his relationship with Aeon, yet failed because, once again, we've seen it all before.
All in all-Been there, won't do that again. Jeesh.
TomBowler
½ August 1, 2009
average action flick. charlize theron is HOT as usual
½ June 11, 2009
HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I RATED THIS MOVIE?!?! wait is this the one with the monkey-girl with hands for feet?? or was that ultraviolet? or maybe V for Vendetta? god theyre all the same exact movie arent they... anyway dont see it
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
October 13, 2008
The Perfect World Meets The Perfect Assassin

Based on the animated series by Peter Chung, Aeon Flux imagines a future in which 99 percent of the world's population is killed through industrial disease, and the survivors live in a single city that, despite utopian appearances, is quite totalitarian. Disinclined to embrace any particular ideology outside of a hatred for Trevor Goodchild (Marton Csokas), the leader of the council that governs the walled city, hyper-sexualized assassin Aeon Flux (Charlize Theron) seeks to bring about a revolution. Retaining the title character's trademark jet-black hair and sleek, revealing clothing, this film adaptation fleshes out the story behind the sexual and romantic tension between Aeon and Trevor.

Review
I was overall pleased with this movie it provided entertainment and nice effects. It takes us out of our own time in many ways. The plot is familiar for anyone who has seen Logan's Run or even knows the basic plot, however it is not meant to teach complex lessons. It also has elements that remind me of Minority Report. This movie is predictable at times and has a weak ending. The movie leaves open a few loose ends in the plot and a lot to be desired. This movie had some weak connections to the ideas behind Kill Bill without the excessive violence or mind games.
garyX
½ March 17, 2007
Once again an impossibly good looking woman dons a catsuit to fight for the future of mankind against an oppressive regime blah blah blah. Having endured Ultraviolet a couple of days ago, I approached this film with a sense of impending dread but I have to say, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Yes, it's yet another Matrix clone, and yes, plot is a little thin on the ground. In fact it could've been lifted from an episode of Star Trek, but at least it HAD one; the film actually resembles the kind of "concept" sci-fis from the 70s such as Logan's Run. The cast is above par for this kind of no-brainer, although Charlize Theron is hardly stretched by her character, and Pete Postlethwaite (who appeared to have been Tango'd) and Frances McDormand appear in inconsequential roles that seemed to exist purely to give the film a little thespian credibility. There's also some nice production design, and the action is efficiently handled thankfully resulting in a film that doesn't bore. Not as good as Equilibrium, but a lot better than the tragic Ultraviolet.
skactopus
½ October 1, 2007
Charlize Theron as a beautiful ass-kicking heroine. Who can argue with that?The movie has a nice futuristic story and it goes pretty deep, especially for a movie that comes in at less than 90 minutes. There was never really a point where the story seemed to drag either. It might have been nice to have had more side characters involved though. Charlize Theron gets about 90% of the airtime, which is not a bad thing, while all the other characters fill up about the remaining 10%. Yes there are quite a few other characters, but their roles and air times are so little that they seem insignificant.The acting isn't too bad, but it isn't award-winning either. I guess its hard to judge the acting when most of the characters only have a few lines. It was nice to see an appearance by Frances McDormand, but that's all it was. She was totally underused.The action comes in bunches and while it isn't the greatest of action that I've seen it is still entertaining to see. Especially when its Charlize doing the punishing. What this film does do well though, is use the story as the driving point and not the action. As I mentioned earlier, this is a short film and with a good amount of action you would think that this is what the film is all about. Well, it isn't. The story takes the front seat in this motion picture.This isn't the greatest futurisitc sci-fi movie out there, but it is definitely worth the watch. Recommended for sci-fi fanatics and Charlize Theron fans.
September 3, 2007
I'm not sure why I expected so much but I did! This was good, and they utilized nature in a really interesting way. Good film.
May 12, 2007
It was better than I expected. I only rented this movie because I was intrigued by the cover and the actress doing an action movie since I've seen her playing roles of normal human beings and not science fictions ones. At any rate, I was happily surprised by this film. I thought it would be stupid, pointless sci-fi film (like UltraViolet was) but it was anything but.

The begining of the movie was a little too much for me, with all the narration and introducing me to these ridiculous costumes and the silly walking scenes, not to mention the yucky fly just when it starts and the even yuckier kiss the lead character shares with an extra. But after all that tedium I found that a story was really being told and even though I didn't understand how these human beings (since even if this is a sci-fi film, in the movie everyone was basically normal human beings... so to speak) or mainly Aeon Flux could move, fight and do all the incredible stuff she did. Well it's pretty typical of films to do this and not explain it so I'll just ignore it. So overall, pretty good movie.
½ June 24, 2007
A pretty good sci-fi/action romp. Set in the future of a big bro government set up where Charlize Theron will try to assassinate the leader.
½ June 21, 2007
For some reason I had high hopes for this movie. They were crushed lol.
June 21, 2007
Cool world! But people don't have much freedom to leave the bubble, or have fun in this movie. I loved the clean and colorful future envisioned in this movie. The plot is a bit dry, but some of the fighting scenes are worth seeing. It had flavours of Ultraviolet, Underworld, Logan's Run, The Matrix, Minority Report, I Robot, Equalibrium, etc. but Aeon Flux is only a passing interest.
½ May 19, 2007
I really liked this film. Its very different but very good.
½ April 30, 2007
It's okay, but if you were expecting something with a lot of action, don't look into this one. More for the political intrigue types.