Afghan Star - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Afghan Star Reviews

June 28, 2009
Interesting to see how a knock off of a western television show is made in a country with such strict laws regarding music, dance and even television in general make everything more difficult. What I enjoyed seeing most was how some people live with the fear instead of backing down on their "progressive" ideas. Americans need to be reminded how lucky we are and even what we are fighting for when we try to expand democracy. They feel voting for a singer is exercising democracy, but also live with fear they can lose their favorite new tv show at the same time.
Harlequin68
March 9, 2011
As televisions make a return to Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban, so too should remote controls that can change the channel, so those easily offended can watch something else and mind their business, especially as it concerns the musical competition, Afghan Star, where the winner gets $5,000. "Afghan Star" follows four of the finalists, Hameed, Rafi, Lima and Setara, who is also the most outspoken of the group, on and off stage to get a sense of how the contest is affecting their own lives and any resistance they face. Now, a singing competition might on the surface seem like a strange place to explore the changing state of freedoms in the country, but with any nation emerging from a repressive state, there has to be a first step(in this case, it is a dance step). In other times and places, it has been artists like Elvis Presley and Pedro Almodovar that led the charge.

So, while I agree with this moderately entertaining and insightful documentary that this television show where men and women occupy the same stage can lead to inspiring greater freedom, other conclusions concerning democracy and unity I am less sure of. While the contestants do run political style campaigns, this really should not be confused with the ballot box. Also, I bet that each ethnic group votes for their own primarily.
July 5, 2013
Far better than the original American or Pop Idol, Afghan Star depicts people erupting after having their collective expressions put under the boot of the Taliban. The idols are unique and terribly fun to watch.
August 1, 2011
Afghan version of American Idol. A female contestant risks her life to express the human spirit through dance.
½ May 27, 2015
Much more than "American Idol in Afghanistan," Afghan Star captures a moment in Afghan history when music speaks directly to power, fraternity transcends ethnicity, and a woman's televised dancing is an act of defiance.
January 5, 2014
seperti yang dkatakan salah satu anak kecil di awal cerita, musik bukan melulu tentang keindahan suara saja, karena bagaimanapun dunia tanpa suara (dalam hal ini musik tentu saja) menjadi begitu mencekam. yang ada hanya kesunyan.
Ketika Taliban mengambil alih pemerintahan Afghanistan, salah satu dari sekian banyka larangan adalah musik pop, menurut mereka mampu merusak dan mempengaruhi nilai moral yang berlaku di dalam masyarakat.
Musik bukanlah hanya tentang suara saja, dan di Afghanistan, setelah melalui begitu banyak penderitaan, musik adalah salahsatu cara mengalihkan genggaman tangan. Dari yang sebelumya menggenggam senjata, beralih menggenggam microphone. Bukan untuk meneriakkan dogma-dogma di sepanjang jalan, akan tetapi untuk mengisi kesunyian Afghanistan.
½ October 18, 2013
There is no reason that anyone who saw this would give it a good rating. It is absolute pandering garbage, not to mention being poorly done and resulting in the death of some of it's actors. The fact that critics have given this positive reviews should bring to question their credentials.
September 25, 2013
Afghan Star takes an original viewpoint in portraying the contrasts in culture. With her film, in fact, Havana Marking shows the various social and political implications that come with a TV format that on the Western side of the boarder is regarded as tasteless and commercialised which it has on a violence and poverty ridden society like Afghanistan. Insightful and intriguing all throughout, this documentary also works as a piece of upbeat entertainment.
September 8, 2013
Excellent, informative, culturally eye-opening, moving and beautifully put together, this is what the documentary genre was created for.
February 22, 2013
An enlightening and sobering documentary on Afghanistan's very own X-Factor.
½ December 29, 2012
i guess singing is cute
August 31, 2012
This documentary is really good. Director, Havana Marking, does a great job introducing us to the various contestants, and she really builds the right amount of suspense as the competition progresses. We get to know the singers a little. We rejoice with them when they advance to another round, and we cry with them when they're eliminated. This show was very interesting, because it was one of the first new programs to pop up once the Taliban's decades long ban on singing and music was finally lifted.
July 15, 2012
Impressive and disturbing - makes you ponder at a black screen for quite a while after.
½ April 14, 2012
excellent film, a familiar subject in a very very different cultural setting
½ April 8, 2012
It was the worst documentary ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
April 10, 2010
A fascinating immersion into the diverse culture of Afghanistan through the show Afghan Star.
December 30, 2011
Fantastic movie, having lived in Kabul (I am a Canadian) I believe it is in our best interest as westerners to watch this film. It is great to see that these people, though slightly different, have the same aspirations and dreams as we do.
A moving film for sure.
½ November 29, 2011
The movie reveals a slice of Afghanistan that isn't shown in the news. The documentary seemed a little rushed and seems to skip over some subjects. But, regardless, the subject was fascinating as it was insightful. Even with the available cameras they used to film this documentary, the story kept me drawn in all the way to the end.
November 22, 2011
great film, eye-opening to watch how music can bring happiness and cause danger and drama for people living in traditional Islamic law-run communities
September 9, 2011
so sad to see that just because she danced in national tv, a female singer is outcast. yet another instance that religion is the opium of peoples....