After Stonewall Reviews

January 31, 2013
Time dated at the conclusion of the nineties when gay activism was at its height, there has been a regression in the movement and now new momentum. Great for its time, the film makers may want to bring it up to date.
January 14, 2013
well crafted and accurate doc as someone who lived almost everything shown here in my defense i was only 11 years old in 1969!
½ April 15, 2010
The archive footage in this doesn?t have the fascination of ?Before Stonewall?, but this is a better documentary duo to more interesting interviews and it is more touching as well. Well made and thought provoking.
October 21, 2007
Very imformative documentary about the LGBT movement in the US. A sequel to 'Before Stonewall' , this documentary shows you how far the LGBT community have come in a relatively short amount of time and also how much further it needs to go before true equality can be achieved.
½ April 15, 2010
74/100. The archive footage in this doesn't have the fascination of "Before Stonewall", but this is a better documentary duo to more interesting interviews and it is more touching as well. Well made and thought provoking.
January 4, 2009
I wonder how many people today, gay or straight, have even heard of the Stonewall Riots, that famous time when a group of people in New York decided they'd had enough of police harassment. By all accounts, the Stonewall Inn wasn't the best atmosphere in the world--it didn't even have running water behind the bar--but it was the only club in town where men could dance with one another. Despite repeated bribes, it was still raided pretty regularly. One night, the regulars decided they'd had enough. Contrary to anyone's expectations, they actually by-Gods rioted. Initially, they even got the police to withdraw. It's really a fascinating story, and I encourage you to look into it. However, [i]After Stonewall[/i], obviously spends very little time on Stonewall itself.

What is the movie's focus is how the riots changed the world. Many of those interviewed had been part of the gay scene before the riots, too, but Stonewall redefined their world. Gay rights were suddenly an issue, with the placid, nondemonstrative groups of previous years giving forth to true activism. After Stonewall, there was the Gay Liberation Front. There was Harvey Milk. There were parades and heroes. And, inevitably, there was AIDS and the loss of a generation of potentially great gay men (lesbians have been hit much less hard by the disease, for obvious reasons). There was "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Finally, there was the lesbian chic of the '90s, when the film was made.

It's a lot to cover in 88 minutes. Necessarily, many things get touched on lighter than many others. Harvey Milk gets mentioned, but not much about him is told. Barney Frank tells some of his own story, but he doesn't get all that much more time than Harvey. The lesbian experience seems to be shown more often than that of gay men, but there isn't enough imbalance for me to get all that upset about it. There is definitely discussion of how hard it was for lesbians in the gay rights movement, where they were "just girls," and in the women's rights movement, where they were "dangerous to the cause." The final story of the movie is the struggle for gay marriage, which is still going ten years later.

Obviously, how much you like this movie is going to depend in part on your political stance. However, being as objective as possible, I think it's pretty good. There's a lot of archive footage employed here, and those interviewed are from a relatively wide swathe of the community. It's true that mostly, they're people you've heard of--Frank, for example, and Rita Mae Brown, not to mention narrator Melissa Etheride. However, they did have to find these people, and it's always easier to get in touch with the famous than to find regular folks with good stories to tell and the will to tell them. It's not a perfect film, but I think it's important.

When I reviewed [i]Before Stonewall[/i], I speculated on the changes between Stonewall and the making of [i]Before Stonewall[/i]. The two movies were made a few years apart, meaning there's less change from when it was made than when the first one was made. However, in either case, I don't think it's all that much. In some ways, indeed, we've gone backwards with the current passage of Proposition Eight. What has amazed me most about the things I've learned recently is that the only country in the world that guarantees equal rights for gays is South Africa. Gay marriage is legal there, too.
½ March 14, 2005
hmmmmmm what to say........... this is the kind of documentary for those people who dont want to go pick up a book and look shit up.

and for those of you who dont know what Stonewall is, it was pretty much considered to be the beginning of the gay rights movement. It happened back in the late 60's in june. that's why gay pride is always in late june....

ANYWAY, movie for those who dont want to read!