After Tiller Reviews

Harlequin68
October 8, 2013
On one level, the documentary "After Tiller" does a good job of showing the day to day lives and work of the four remaining doctors performing late term abortions in America, as they contend with annoying and ignorant people constantly on their lawns and with the constant fear one of them may be armed.(Per the end note, one more doctor is being trained.) Contrary to what one would ordinarily suppose, they are not in New York, Massachusetts or California. Instead, this is in the heartland of Nebraska, Colorado and New Mexico.

On a different level, "After Tiller" relies much more on sentiment than on facts which could have been used to better destroy some of the fallacies concerning abortion. Admittedly, we do get some information on what a late term abortion is and the conditions for performing one(which usually involves a fetus having a critical or fatal condition) with adoption being discussed as an alternative. But the doctors are not alone as they seem here. While the Democrats, Wendy Davis notwithstanding, are pretty useless, there are plenty of pro-choice activists out there willing to protest.
May 2, 2013
Despite the emotional nature of the subject matter, After Tiller provides us with a good bird's eye view of the life and motivations behind the four doctors in the U.S. who perform third trimester abortions. It is likely that each viewer will react differently depending on what they bring into the viewing experience but it is worthwhile regardless.
½ June 8, 2014
My first thought was that the filmmakers got dangerously close to only appealing to emotion for their thesis, but since the film directly addresses third trimester abortions, perhaps this is the only way to make this argument. The film strays from its central narrative too often, but it still provides a compelling voice to people who are generally only attacked when spoken of.
May 17, 2014
Or The One You'll Be Conflicted About...

What Martha Shane and Lana Wilson do so extremely well in After Tiller is showing the human side of the argument rather than an objective argument. Now, some people won't like this approach, because Wilson and Shane are refusing to debate with their audience, they want to engage with them. And in their attempt to emotionally engage with their audience, they succeed, because whether you're pro life or choice you can't help but be moved by the stories.

It's definitely not going to convince anyone, but what it does is humanize the situation. It makes you investigate what you believe about the issue in light of how it affects people. By no means has this film changed my mind about the topic of the film, but it did allow me to understand to empathize with these parents in impossibly difficult situations. No one will be able to look at this film as a black and white issue, and that's what directors Shane and Wilson do so well.

The film will make you uncomfortable, make you feel conflicted, and make you think, and that's what a good documentary should do. Instead of overwhelming you with facts and studies, After Tiller overwhelms you with humanity.
½ October 3, 2014
This is a Pro Abortion or Pro Choice Film. Watching it, watching ads that support previews, supports this side of the cause.
½ September 26, 2014
Its one sided but does let the other side talk a bit. It actually opened my eyes to what late term abortions usually are, at least from what they say. very well done.
July 21, 2014
Having watched the Assassination of Dr. Tiller several years ago when it first aired, this was a welcome follow up with the few remaining late term abortion providers in America, albeit a frustrating one. This ought to be mandatory viewing for every American because it offers such a fantastic encapsulation of who these providers are, and more importantly, who their patients are.

This film, while drawing attention to the pro-life movement, does so in such a way that the pro-life movement is not given a platform from which to air their beliefs as they so often do with absolutely no hesitation. The Assassination of Dr. Tiller, for example, incorporated two prominent members of the pro-life movement, and their remarks with regards to Tiller and his death were difficult to swallow. Even viewing it now, they leaves me feeling raw and angry (and rightfully so).

After Tiller emphasizes the compassionate aspect of abortion and why access to late term abortion is necessary. It has been a long while since the light was shined directly on the doctors who perform late term abortions and their patients without giving equal time, attention, and great emphasis on the pro-lifers who would have them cast out of society entirely.
July 16, 2014
Dr. George Tiller was one of the few late-trimester abortion doctors. He was killed, but four of his colleagues continue his work. At first, I would have said that I disagreed with late-trimester abortion, but after watching the documentary, I found that sometimes that's when they find horrible deformities in unborn children. Usually, these were wanted and planned-for children and the parents are anguished as they make their decision. It just teaches to always look at a question from both sides.
½ July 14, 2014
Killing babies about to be born is a selfish & cowardly act Period
July 10, 2014
With difficult subject matter, I realize this is not a documentary for many; but I consider myself open-minded enough to watch and listen to others to try to understand a point of view I might not hold myself. In After Tiller, some of this comes across and some of it doesn't. The documentary follows the remaining doctors willing to perform late-term abortions (a cringe-inducing term) after the 2009 death of Dr. George Tiller in Wichita, Kansas at the hands of a man believing himself to be in the right -- you know: for killing a man ... for killing others. It defies logic. One doctor here admits to refusing to want to admit that a fetus is a person because when she does she becomes horrified at her own actions and therein lies the debate/argument that will never be agreed upon. At what point is tissue a human being? It most likely will never be answered by us mere humans. As difficult as the doc is to watch, I appreciated hearing the testimony of some parents who have chosen this path with much difficulty. There would be children born without anuses and other internal organs who wouldn't live more than a few hours. There are others who would be vegetative their entire lives -- which would be approximately two years of nothing but agony and torture to parents. I am so very thankful that I will never be put in a situation to make such a decision ... and I will never judge another who has to. Granted, this doc also documents a few who say "I cannot afford" another baby and refuses adoption ... which is stomach-churning to me as that decision isn't a hopeless one. But perhaps that is me being unfair. This film isn't fully convincing like it most likely wants to be but it offers an audience some understanding of horrors many of us will NEVER know -- thank God for that.
July 7, 2014
A painful, but great documentary that explores the ethics and issues surrounding third-trimester abortions and the troubles that the four remaining doctors that practice them face.
½ December 28, 2013
Very well done documentary that is both thought provoking and intimate. Highly recommend to all regardless of your views regarding abortion. Will it change your position? Probably not, but it will provide you with a different perspective, and that is what good documentary filmmaking can do.
½ June 8, 2014
May 22, 2014
FIVE STAR REVIEW OF AFTER TILLER
This exceptional and powerful directory tells the story of the four brave physicians who perform late term abortions following the dreadful murder of Dr. Geogre Tiller in 2009 while he was attending church..
Each doctor's story is porwerful and touches deeply at our hearts. Must see viewing! Brava to the directors Martha Shane and Lana Wilson!
May 7, 2014
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, a life for a life. What makes us think we make the rules?
October 27, 2013
By far the most important topics of all films from 2013. State-permitted domestic terrorism, constant lynch-mob culture around the last 4 surviving late abortionists, the moral questions around choice vs life argumentations (Wade vs Roe), the decisions the doctors have to make or not, leaving it to the women, not one single woman could be pictured to protect them from the mob, in which country am I living in? But I remember the same religious mob in my country, Austria in the 70ies, and there are still only 2 such clinics. A difficult film, which asks deep and troubling questions, even more troubling than last year's "Amour".
So far this is my only 5-star movie of the year. In Sundance people already said this is the best film of the year, but I still have to wait for Ashgar Farhadi's "The Past"
November 21, 2013
In a debate that is usually embittered by preconceptions, it's easy to forget that there are human beings with human feelings, emotions and connection behind each individual abortion. Martha Shane and Lana Wilson with their intense work tell the difficult but real story of third-trimester abortions by following the work of the few doctors who carry out such procedures and its starting point is the murder of one of the few such doctors, George Tiller. According to its subject, this documentary should come across as controversial especially because of its one-sided approach in a two-sided debate. Yet, it's hard to ignore its honest and convincing portrayal of real feelings and human warmth that alone make a convincing case. It's also more than admirable that a film like this should be so refreshingly soft spoken, in this fierce debate about life where aggressiveness and hatred are aplenty.
Harlequin68
October 8, 2013

September 9, 2013
Hey lets lionize a mass-murderer!
July 9, 2013
So moving. Such an incredible doc.