Age of Consent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Age of Consent Reviews

December 13, 2007
I watched all the way through this movie before I found out that the "child" in this movie was Helen Mirren. Who knew she was young once. Actually I didn't like the movie that much. I would have preferred that the painter stayed true to his art and not thrash around with the kid at the end.
December 3, 2007
Michael Powell's last directorial endeavor, the resurrection of James Mason's career, and the role that put Helen Mirren on the map. This beautiful little film is a must-see for a stunning Mirren alone, although it is a great comment on the 60s. Thinking about it now, as Powell's last, I see parallels with Shakespeare's The Tempest and even, perhaps, with Faulkner's The Reivers. I say again, flixster friends, this is a true must-see.
½ December 31, 2014
I'm not gonna lie, I wanted to watch this for young naked Helen Mirren. In that regard, I was vastly rewarded. On its own as a film, it's pretty bland and boring. Mason's character isn't very interesting, and not much happens (besides said Mirren getting naked lots). I guess I could pretend to say I wanted to watch it because it's Michael Powell's last film since it's at least partially true, and I was also let down in that regard; what a whimper to go out on.
October 12, 2009
A slow moving drama/comedy that sees an older artist rediscovering his passion for painting when he meets a hot young 17 yr old played by Helen Mirren, who is willing to pose nude for him to raise extra money to get her off the small island on which she lives.

It has a few interesting moments, but overall it's a slow moving affair and doesn't really reveal too much about the characters, just that older men like young nude girls & Mirren is cute in the buff.

Rental, if you're a fan of the talent involved.
March 5, 2009
Artistic devotion in spite of sensual mutual attraction. A heavy movie for its time and still so today in our freer sexual societies.
July 22, 2013
Great to see Helen Mirren in her first feature role playing a nubile Australian lass posing for an older artist in search of a muse. He finds much more. I rate it as a "must see". The photography of the famous underwater husband & wife team is spectacular.
September 23, 2011
Director Michael Powell's last film is an interesting take on the older man/younger woman dynamic as James Mason portrays a painter trying to escape to a deserted island in Australian's Great Barrier Reef to find inspiration. Inspiration comes in the form of Helen Mirren, in her first film performance, as a young girl who befriends him and becomes his muse & model. (In what would become a stereotype for her, Mirren is often nude.) Film often threatens to veer into seriousness and danger for the characters but sidesteps it. In the end it's a rather lightweight film with some beautiful location and underwater photography and a wonderful score by composer Peter Sculthorpe (which was thrown out by Columbia Pictures and replaced by one by Stanley Myers.) Restoration of the film rescued the director's original intention for the film and now preserved on DVD.
½ July 27, 2009
Good last proper film by Michael Powell.

Helen Mirren's film debut.