Movies Like Aimée & Jaguar

44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Aimée & Jaguar Reviews

Megan S

February 9, 2007
i really liked this movie. Another one of my Library Media finds.
Ina S

February 23, 2006
Great, great film. Touching, historically mostly accurate and great acting.
Turfseer
March 26, 2010
Worthwhile Holocaust-themed melodrama

*** This review may contain spoilers ***

I have mixed feelings about "Aimee and Jaguar" but more positive than negative. It's based on a true story set in Berlin in 1943. The film however begins in the present as we're introduced to one of the protagonists as an old woman. We then flash back to the war years where we meet Lilly Wust, married with four children, with a German soldier husband who occasionally comes home from the front. Felice is a Jewish lesbian, boldly hiding out with forged identity papers, working for a Nazi newspaper editor (brilliantly played by Peter Weck). Felice's girlfriend Ilse is Lily's household servant. When thrill-seeker Felice spies Lilly for the first time, she's determined to make it with her simply as a game. But after Lilly's marriage falls apart, the two fall in love. Along the way, one of Felice's lesbian friends is shot down in the street by the Gestapo. After about a year and a half, Felice's cover is blown and she's shipped off to a concentration camp where she presumably is killed (in real life, Felice's fate is unknown to this day).

Most of "Aimee and Jaguar" focuses on the relationship between the two lovers. It's a mature look at a budding lesbian relationship and there are some sensitively photographed love scenes. Felice adopts the masculine persona of 'Jaguar' and Lilly is the demure 'Aimee'. Most of the conflict within the relationship is primarily centered on Lilly's confusion about her sexuality, self-worth and decision to involve herself with Felice whose sensitive side is repressed due to her constant fear of being arrested by the Nazis.

While the relationship between the two lovers is at times compelling, it also becomes a little tiresome due to the fact that it's unnecessarily drawn out.

"Aimee and Jaguar" is also a subtle Holocaust-related story, focusing on how ordinary German civilians reacted during the Nazi horror. Not all the Germans are happy with Hitler. In an early scene, Lilly's Nazi lover overhears Lilly's father badmouthing the regime and threatens to turn him in. Others act totally out of self-interest: a woman ends up selling black market food coupons to Felice and her friends inside a bathroom while they're attending a Nazi social function at a hotel. And then there are the hard core Nazis, such as Felice's newspaper editor employer who boasts that the German people are capable of "tremendous feats" despite all the bad news coming in from the war front.

In addition to the intense interplay between Felice and Lilly, there's also some nice tension between Ilse and Felice after Ilse becomes jealous over Felice's newfound interest in Lilly. Less interesting and predictable are the long, drawn out scenes between Lilly and her husband, Gunther, whose excursions from the war front are never explained.

Ultimately, the intensity of the performances of the actresses who play Felice and Lilly make up for the lack of conflict between the principal characters. As a history lesson, "Aimee & Jaguar" is also worth seeing, chronicling the Holocaust from the 'home front' perspective.
June 21, 2007
This a really great good actress..they re pretty women...True story.. my favorite movies of all again...
nailphile
June 15, 2007
gut-wrenching and heart-breaking story about 2 women in love in Germany during WWII... and one's Jewish while the other is married to a Nazi.
heybarbara
June 1, 2007
This film is truly a work of art. The cinematography is beautiful, the scenes are reminiscent of paintings from Caravaggio. The true strength of this film is the acting, especially from Juliane Kohler and Maria Schrader. But although I loved the movie, the book is ten times better.
brokenwings1026
January 17, 2007
What a wonderful film. I fell in love with both of them. What love they had for one another. I think that I had that best sex of my life the night we watched this movie. Also a sad movie, for what happend in the end. Goes to show you that REAL love never dies. You keep it with you..
mitchf5
January 12, 2007
A brilliant true love story. It's in German, with English subtitles, but superb acting based on the book, makes it well worth the watch!
March 20, 2006
Interesting, exceedingly tragic with an air of impending doom right from the beginning. Though I admit, I was a little bored. I don't really like movies set in the Holocaust. Nevertheless, the beautiful love story somewhat saves it.
February 16, 2014
AIMEE & JAGUAR tells the tragic story of a doomed love affair between a Jewish lesbian and the wife of an SS officer. While it does get a little too melodramatic in parts, overall this is a touching story with great performances across the board, a beautiful score. The only technical aspect I didn't really care for was that the film looked very made-for-TV, however the movie was directed by someone who has mainly worked in German television. The special effects were ok, with some good explosions when Berlin is being bombed (this takes place towards the end of WWII). Generally speaking, the production values are decent but don't really approach the level of a large studio film. Highly recommended to those who like WWII movies, particularly dealing with unorthodox/uncommon subjects, and anyone who likes a good love story.
January 1, 2013
Tear-jerking and really intriguing thanks to the fabulous performances and great cinematography.
Adri L.
November 7, 2012
Simply amazing. One of the best same-sex movies I have seen. Set in a time that this kind of thing was highly forbidden, but certainly worth the watch.
December 30, 2009
My favorite romance. This film has more raw emotion than every other romance i've seen combined.
August 12, 2011
Another gem from Max Färberböck.
David H.
February 14, 2011
One of the few Good Newer German Movies!!! Excellent Love Tragedy between a Jewish Woman and the Wife of a Nazi in WW2 Berlin!!! I love Lesbians and Lesbian Scenes!!! Great Cinematography, Soundtrack & Acting!!! Maria Schrader is so Hot!!!
Vanessa R.
February 21, 2010
Aimee and Jaguar
It's a wonderful movie which shows a love between two women in a time that make this love impossible. (While the third Empire)

Very romantic but also sad!
Maria Schrader looks beautiful in this movie!
Ajay
January 29, 2010
Potent, engaging, eliciting pathos and buttressed by an excellent cast and a strong script.
dfwforeignbuff
October 8, 2009
Aimee and Jaguar (1998)(Lilly and Felice's pet names for each other) is based on a true story. Although Ms. Schragenheim is believed to have died in a forced march from a Nazi camp, Ms. Wust (Felice) is 86 and still lives in Berlin. The memoirs of Lilly Wust,-story of two women who fall in love in 1943 Berlin: Lilly (Juliane Köhler), the wife of a Nazi officer, and Felice (Maria Schrader), a Jewish journalist . This is a girl movie for WWII. They are lesbians and Jewish. One could not expect to survive long in war time Berlin with these words attached to their name but these girls did. This is an excellent and exciting film. In this movie it is clear the Germans are losing the war. The women do what they can to survive. The script portrayed a Germany of decadence: women wearing tuxedos, smoky nightclubs filled with couples of ambiguous gender, pudgy capitalists & Officers pulling on cigars a general excess of eye makeup. Also stylistically the film relies on the dramatic and visual conventions of another era -- of the Weimar Republic, as represented in films like G. W. Pabst's "Pandora's Box" (whose star, Louise Brooks, bears a passing resemblance to Ms. Schrader's Felice) and Josef von Sternberg's "Blue Angel" (with Ms. Köhler's Lilly echoing Marlene Dietrich's blond wave and dangling cigarette). However these things do not affect my rating. The film?s success is the fantastic interplay of its two stars. Schrader and Kohler feed off each other beautifully, the intensity of their dynamic growing with every scene, and the sequence in which they confront Felice's Judaism is as impressive as you hope it will be and more. "Great people leave a mark, and when they leave, the mark remains." So says a Nazi functionary, quoting Joseph Goebbels. In an irony the filmmakers no doubt intend, the romantic mark left by these two women turns out to be very great indeed. This is great story telling. Great productions values in this one also. Fantastic cinematography and set decoration really lavish. This film is about the power of falling in love--no matter whether you are man or woman!! four stars.!!
Virus
January 28, 2008
I would like note the dvd transfer is really shoddy. Two strong performances carry this film. Without them it wouldn't be all that good.
ursus.kirk
March 23, 2007
Two grils in love in the Berlin of 1944. One married, the other free and full of life. The mood is serious, sometimes bleak. But nonetheless creates a well constructed atmosphere of war against love.