97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

Airport Reviews

jjnxn
jjnxn

March 26, 2007
A little hokey to be sure but eminently watchable, Helen Hayes IS endearing but her oscar was surely a sentimental one and really should have gone to Maureen Stapleton who gives a real and very touching portrayal of a woman in an impossible situation. The rest of the cast is fun, Burt Lancaster and Dana Wynter inject a touch of reality as they come to grips with the end of their marriage in a wonderfully played scene. Jacqueline Bissett is young and beautiful, the chicest stewardess to ever fly the friendly skies.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

September 29, 2012
One of the original disaster films that spawned an entire new genre of films, Airport is a good little film. However, there's nothing too special about this one. Airport is entertaining, but lacks terrific character development and has cringe worthy dialogue at times. The performances are good, and the cast is pretty impressive, however the plot is hit and miss, and the direction seems unfocused. Nonetheless, if you love a classic thrill ride, this is worth checking out; just don't expect anything great with the film. I liked the film, but it's nothing special. The film set the standard of every other disaster flick that was to follow. The film is a bit too predictable, but in the end it's silly fun. The film tends to go from serious to almost tongue in cheek. Of all the disaster films out there, I find that this is one of the few more unintentionally humorous ones. I'm not saying the picture is bad, but there are moment in the film where you're like, did this happen? Considering that this is drama, you'd expect something a little more serious. This film could have been much better, and the screenwriters could have toned down on the cheesy dialogue and poor tongue in cheek moments. Otherwise, this is an entertaining picture that delivers effective thrills from start to finish, and despite its flaws, it's worth watching you love 1970's cinema. Just don't expect a great film. Enjoyable, but you can see that the film had the potential of being so much more than what it turned out to be.
Dean !

June 22, 2011
The first of the Airport disaster films. I remember seeing most of them on Sunday afternoons on TV as a young kid. Big budget blockbusters for the time with an all star cast! I think there were three sequels in the end Airport '75, '77 and '79 concorde! Check them out, still pretty good films and few disaster films about planes have been made since to this standard.
Not too mention it inspired two of the funniest spoof films (Airplane) as well!
AJ V

September 5, 2010
A good cast, but the story is predictable and the movie is very long. This is the first of the 70s disaster movie fad, I think, so it's interesting to watch anyway.
Spencer S

July 23, 2010
The best cast imaginable, a plot that is fresh and enjoyable, and sequences that couldn't be less comparable to any other film.
Drew S

January 22, 2007
This movie is about an airport. Bad things happen at this airport sometimes. Every woman at the airport is either pregnant or a sad wife. The snow makes it hard to fly, as does the man with the bomb in seat 23A. It received 9 Oscar nominations, which says some very bad things about the Academy and the state of film in the early 70s, and actually won one because those crazy Oscar folks love conniving old women. Unfortunately, these days it's about as tense as a wet fart, even though the cast is mildly engaging and the characters aren't all that bad. It's pretty fluffy entertainment and is most interesting as an odd action time capsule. My God, how the genre ages hard.
garyX
garyX

April 1, 2007
One of these ridiculous hand-wringing disaster movies that are now impossible to take seriously after Airplane!
John B

June 26, 2007
They really loved these disaster films in the seventies. I just don't get it.
DrLappos
DrLappos

August 27, 2007
Aw come on its a disaster movie. Its great.
phaup55
December 21, 2011
An understated proto-disaster movie made in time when films were still stylish yet fluid. It lacks the limo driven through a collapsing building, space aliens or even Ben Affleck's gleaming veneers, but it does build up suspense effectively and manages to develop solid characters. It may be a little old-fashioned for some newer disaster fans, but keep in mind that the disaster and consequently the parody genre really has this film and the Airport franchise to thank.
November 30, 2011
When I rate films, keep in mind, the score is in context to the genre. For the disaster movie genre, it's one of the best: 4.5 stars outta 5.
jjb3332003
March 28, 2009
This movie started out very slowly, focusing primarily on character development and giving an excellent glimpse into the everyday operations of a major aiport. But once the action picked up, and the characters were fleshed out, it turned out to be quite entertaining.
October 4, 2009
I'm old enough to remember how popular this flick was way back when. Then there was those Leslie Nielson spoofs that were so great. Seeing the original again is now hilarious. It's so funny to think how much we liked it when it first came out. What were we thinking?? Oh well, it was the 70's. Btw, it IS cool to see the styles, cars, sets, phone systems, etc. They're so "cutting edge"!
jam233
September 27, 2009
What melodrama! But it is great fun and certainly it's entertaining. Burt Lancaster overacts to the hilt, but Helen Hayes is a delight, Maureen Stapleton and Van Heflin give fine performances as well. Jacqueline Bisset has rarely been more beautiful. This is the disaster film that started a craze in the 1970's.
April 28, 2007
Watching this movie again 37 years after I saw it the first time in the theaters is kind of bizarre. I saw it the first time at the movie theater in downtown Guthrie, Oklahoma. When I saw it as a kid, I had never flown. It seemed plausible and was a good disaster movie. In fact it was the first of several disaster movies made in the 1970's. Today when air travel is commonplace you wonder what kind of world they were living in 1970. Airports with no security or computers to prevent someone from just sneaking onto the plane or carrying on a bomb without being searched are so far in the past most people don't remember those days. And what about those huge 707 airplanes, they made it seem like two people could walk down the aisle side by side. They made it seem like the inside of the plane had plenty of headroom and when was the last time anyone flew on a plane that was 25% empty. Boeing must have paid for part of this movie since they seemed to brag a lot about the 707. Most of the "emergencies" seem contrived. Why couldn't they have just diverted the damaged plane to another airport? There is an urban legend that when they first showed this movie on TV that several cities' sewer systems flooded when the movie was over because everyone watching went to the restroom at the same time. Shortly after this movie came out people began hijacking planes to Cuba. So the next time you are in the airport having all your belongings searched you can blame this movie.
StairwayToTheStars
December 14, 2007
Might watch some parts again, the parts I would watch again would be the old lady parts, she is funny.
July 23, 2007
An amazing film. An incredibly strong cast really put forth some strong performances. I really enjoy Dean Martin in one of his few dramatic roles, his work with Jacqueline Bisset is amazing. Martin is not remembered for his dramatic work as much as he should be. The effects can look a little cheesey now, but in my personal opinion this movie has the character development and folowable that many of the action movies lack now to compinsate.
captainmorgan4
June 21, 2007
All-star cast and a first-rate plot. Seems silly in a post 9/11 world but still suspenseful and a great ride.
jamesmford
April 18, 2007
Brilliant for its time. It inspired the FAA to implement the first metal detectors. The 707 rules!
nanoqna
January 18, 2007
there r so many famous ppl and so many things happened! its ike u forget that ur watching a movie. helen hayes is awesome in tis movie.