Alien from L.A. (Odeon) (Wanda) Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ November 17, 2012
Good concept ruined by a poorly laid out script and dull plot, Alien from L.A could have been such a good film. Unfortunately, it fails. Acting wise, the film is pathetic, there is not one single enjoyable performance here and each actor is dreadful on-screen. The film had so much potential but everything is wasted. I found myself being more bored than anything while watching this and it really didn't have anything interesting going for it. Although a parody of Jules Verne's Journey to the center of the Earth, this film really doesn't do anything with its ideas, and therefore the film fails to generate any entertainment value. The actors are bad and they really don't have any on-screen chemistry at all. The plot falls apart, and the film becomes tiresome halfway through. If you're looking for a fun, entertaining and ultimately memorable Sci Fi comedy horror flick, look elsewhere this is a mess that tries far too hard at overcoming its mediocrity and it fails due to a poor director and an even worst script. The film was very disappointing and it was a waste of time that didn't deliver. Reviews on this one were bad, but I chose to keep an open mind, and I told myself that it couldn't be that bad... Well, it was. Don't bother watching this piece of garbage because there's nothing promising about it. The film is a poorly constructed mess stitched together by bad performances a forgettable plot and unfocused directing. This film ends up being a misfire and it has nothing to offer horror fans looking for a wonderful and entertaining horror comedy. Pass this one up; you'll be glad you did.
September 6, 2010
This is a stupid, cheesy movie about some silly underground world where Ireland's character is trying to find her dad. The dialogue is corny, the acting is bad, the story is stupid, and I just didn't care for this movie.
bbcfloridabound
July 28, 2009
This is a movie that should have been the near last of the Drive In Teen Movies. Made in 1987 not sure the teens of today would even sit and watch it. Wanda Saknussemm (Sounds like a Name right out of upper Pennsylvania) played by Kathy Ireland is supposed to be the near girl who sits on the beach and reads a book, her boyfriend who is hot for more then a book reading babe dumps her, reason she never wants to do anything exciting. Wanda's Dad is an explorer, looking for the lost people of the center of the earth, and he gets lost, so Wanda Goes to Africa to find him, what she finds after she falls down a shaft is a world similar to the Mad Max Movies. Wanda's Boyfriend was getting tired of her mouse high pitch voice and I must admit she was getting to me before the movie was over. Great Body, Great Looks, But that dam voice. 3 Stars Wanda
April 7, 2010
At first this movie got on my nerves, but the characters started to grow on me. The story is entirely predictable, the Atlantis City is underground instead of underwater like you'd think, and the script has too many corny lines (Ireland's voice doesn't help any with the corny lines, either). I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie, but if you really have nothing better to do it can be slightly entertaining.
½ September 4, 2009
A nerdy introverted beach bum travels to the middle of the earth to find her lost explorer father. The innards of the earth house fallen Atlantis which is now run in a 1984 meets Idiocracy meets Total Recall meets Mad Max kind of fashion. Really terrible except for some well-placed political commentary. Can you believe that made a sequel to this crap and had the audaciousness to title it after the Verne classic? And, was there really a time way back in the 80's where Kathy Ireland was thought of as an actress? It had to have been an alternate universe. Apparently there was an MST3K episode with this "film." I wish I would have seeked that out; would have been less painful.
May 3, 2009
This is a wonderful movie. It is so very different from the usual that it may not appeal to all but I love this one. Another thing that is interesting about it is that many of the actors and actresses play multiple roles but they look so different in each role you don't realize it until you watch the credits at the end.
½ February 1, 2015
One of the worst movies ever made.
August 17, 2013
Kathy Ireland drops down a hole and finds Atlantic, where everybody is from Australia. Best watched with MST3K commentary. Not for the comically impaired!
½ June 16, 2013
Words cannot describe how truly bad this movie is.
April 13, 2013
Badly written, badly acted, and badly paced. Ireland's voice is too annoying to pay attention to, and the plot holes are way too deep. It's no wonder why this was on MST3K, which is the only way this film should be seen.
½ January 18, 2013
Kathy Ireland has the voice of a mouse. So for some reason they put her in the starring role of a movie that feels like it tried to be interesting, but gave up its dreams and settled for a squeaky-voiced swimsuit model. The end. (and for a swimsuit model, Kathy Ireland barely shows any skin. At all.)
½ June 4, 2012
The MST3K stinger couldn't describe it any better - "Yuck!"
February 21, 2012
This is one of those movies that is so bad it's funny. The acting is bad, but it's one of those movies you have to see once, but only once. It's no wonder Kathy Ireland's acting career never got off the ground.
½ May 23, 2011
I thought this movie was going to be terrible and it didn't disappoint. I'd previously seen the MST3k version which was amusing but the original is pretty bad. It starts with some bad acting which seems like the middle of a movie with no idea what's going on or who the people are then goes into a completely different scene in the different country that looks like they spliced two different movies together. Don't let the cover fool you either boys - they only time you see Kathy Ireland (who, let's face it, is only acceptable when she doesn't talk) in a biniki is about 10 seconds before the end credits. Most of the movie Kathy or "Wanda" is stuck in a world inside the Earth, where she is ofcouse the alien. If you like Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Mad Max and Bladerunner then go and watch them because this movie is trying to be like all of them but without the storyline, script, actors or special affects to back it up.
½ May 17, 2010
[font=Times][color=#000000]It?s a good thing Kathy Ireland didn?t ?quit her day job? to go into acting. Her and the rest of this cast are a big reason this film gets dragged under the average mark. The effects are worse than BBC children?s TV shows and the soundtrack is lame. The plot is worse. So not only has this city remained undiscovered for thousands of years by the surface world, but the people living under ground never knew there was life and civilization on the surface either huh? In thousands of years they never out grew their one underground city either. Great writing there. If you DO bother with this one, check out the now famous Deep Roy ([i]Charlie and the Chocolate Factory[/i]-2005) playing an underground mobster.[/color][/font]