61% The Maze Runner Sep 19

79% You're the Worst: Season 1

Alien Trespass Reviews

Apeneck F

April 4, 2009
I hoped this would be as good as it promised, finding the idea of a '50's style sci-fi resurrected appealing, but the makers (the director's an X Files alum) flunked because they, in typical modern day detachment, forgot the essential ingredient: to give a damn. No one here does and the hip, modern, cooler-than-thou, winkin-at-you, don't-we-look-fabulous result so ruins the work that I couldn't help but finally agreeing to not giving a damn either. The monster's based on a one off novelty song of the '60's.
thefog1331
thefog1331

March 28, 2009
Well intended but pointless exercise in recreating those wacky sci-fi films from the 50's. There's a few funny moments here and there mostly thanks to a well cast Eric McCormack but unlike Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra this is an homage (sorta like Ti West's House of the Devil) and not a spoof-style comedy.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

April 12, 2009
"It came from another galaxy. A creeping, crawling nightmare of terror!"

After crash landing near a desert town, an alien enlists the help of a local waitress to re-capture a monster that escaped from the wreckage of his space ship.

REVIEW
I started watching Alien Trespass with some reservations: I'm definitely a fan of the "source material" for this movie, but I haven't really enjoyed many of the handful of retro/homage/pastiche 50s-style genre films I've seen in the past decade.

In the early going, if you're inclined to be suspicious of the movie's intent (and I was), you may find some technical details that are sort of jarring: "cheap" CGI substituting for the papier-mâché-string-and-sparklers school of SFX, matte paintings and studio backdrops that somehow don't feel period-authentic (might be that the compositing is too good, even when it's intentionally "bad?"); that sort of thing.

However, once I was introduced to the excellent and very likable cast, and allowed myself to settle into the rhythm of the dialogue, none of that mattered. There's a gentleness in the style and humour that just felt right to me. Of course "right" is completely subjective, and all but useless in determining if you will like the movie; I'll say instead that if you're not in a technical-nitpicking frame of mind (or if you are, but you're willing and able to get past that), it's a very easy movie to enjoy, especially if you're relaxing with it on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

There's a lot of sharp, caustic humour to be found on TV and in movies these days, and that's not a criticism - I guess I enjoy ironic detachment, sarcasm, and "snark" as much as the next guy - but if you come to this movie expecting that kind of experience, I think you're going to be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you genuinely like the source material, and you're willing to enjoy something pretty much on its own terms, without the broad safety net of winking self-awareness that most "retro" films seem to employ, then I think you'll have a good time with Alien Trespass.
Luke B

August 14, 2009
Alien Trespass really had me excited. I love the old 50's Sci-Fi films and couldn't wait to see a modern one with that recreated feel. The problem comes in the inconsistency of quality. For example, some of the performers take it seriously, some ham it up 50's style, some are just plain bad and some play is it as a spoof. All the sound effects are perfect but the alien and green screen are very poor, on purpose of course, but they really don't fit in with the sharp and modern cinematography. There's some good stuff here, and it could have been a success if it had gone for either high quality or laughs, but as it stands it just makes you want to revisit the classics. Which may be a good thing.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

May 5, 2009
A one eyed tentacle monster eats a large portion of the population of a Hollywood backlot town while being hunted by an alien marshall. A faithful recreation of the style of a 1957 "aliens among us" thriller that wisely plays it straight, rather than taking a superior and winking attitude towards the source material, and is all the more entertaining and subtly funny for it.
Rico Z

March 22, 2009
I loved this romp so much. It really takes very little to keep me entertained when it comes to tongue-in-cheek comedies. This is definitely one of the most cheesy, corny, stupid, oddball spoofs I've seen. But it revels in its satirical disposition and never, ever takes itself seriously enough to expect the audience to be seriously taken by its antics.

The cast is brilliant and the plot is ingenious in carrying the old 50s and 60s fear of all things alien, monstrous and goofy. Things that go bump in the night aren't necessarily scary--and that's the fun you get when watching Alien Trespass.

It's an unabashed wreck and it wants the audience to take the leap of faith necessary to enjoy a movie like this. With its fake newsreel at the beginning, it successfully sets the tone for what's to come and it makes you feel like you're watching a midnight showing of a shitty movie--even though you're watching that shitty movie at three o'clock in the afternoon.

Never under-estimate kitsch or schlock. This movie has plenty of both to keep you from snoozing and to make you swoon for more.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

July 15, 2010
In "Alien Trespass," nothing much ever happens in the small town of Mojave, California. Everyday, the regulars congregate at the local diner to eat and exchange gossip. The only crime is juvenile delinquency, leading the sheriff(Dan Lauria) to quietly retire in a couple of days. Dr. Ted Lewis(Eric McCormack) is so awed by a meteor shower that he ignores his buxom, scantily clad and in the mood wife Lana(Jody Thompson) in order to fully investigate. The following day, he returns a changed man, warning that if the Ghota split, then everybody is lunch.

Presented as a lost film within a film, "Alien Trespass" is a mostly harmless pastiche of 50's science fiction B-movies that references a good deal of them. It is not really a parody nor does it break new ground until the end, leading me to wonder why it was made in the first place.(Where is Guy Maddin when you really need him?) If the biggest joke is the bad special effects, then you are not really trying.(As a longtime Doctor Who fan, I have no problem with alien invasions on a limited budget.) The movie also makes the mistake of taking the smartest character and potential catalyst, who is either the voice of reason or the one who almost gets everybody killed, out of the equation early. Although, to be honest, the movie is a little scary.
Marion R

September 5, 2010
To be fair I probably shouldn't even be rating this since I could only stand the beginning 40 mins of this film.
What I don't get is the fact that the filmmakers had enough money for good sets and decent enough actors and yet they tried to make a spoof which just wasn't funny. It would have been better for them not trying to make a "spoof" and instead play it straight, an alien film that is just set in the fifties. The film in itself doesn't make sense if it was a film made in the 50's then why was it not shot as a fifties film or had standard dialogue. It wasn't even consistent in it's own setting. If it truly was a film made in the fifties it should have had people in crappy alien monster suits, instead we get a CGI alien which just doesn't make sense. I just didn't get the point.
whosinthenews
whosinthenews

September 14, 2009
I'm not sure what exactly the filmmakers were going for here, but unlike Mars Attacks or Men in Black this has very little camp and no irony or parody whatsoever (or even the inherent melodramaticism of the genre) and so we end up with a mostly rigid re-creation of 50's B sci-fi. Nostalgia alone isn't enough to sustain any retro film and in the end this has less value than its predecessors since there's nothing to laugh at. This film takes itself far too casually, excluding themselves (and us) from the joke but not joining in on it either. There has to be a calculated reason for going back and revisiting a genre like this, and Alien Trespass gives none. Boring is just boring regardless of what decade you put it in.
John2223
John2223

January 22, 2009
Not a spoof, not a satire. This flix recreats the feel of a 1950's sci-fi, in this case, it featured rubber alien suits and other cheesy special effects.
Nothing great when it comes to alien action. It starts a little slow but then turns interesting and somehow stupid.
December 22, 2009
Though not the greatest sci-fi by far this film accomplishes what it sets out to do. It is a throw-back to the old B-movie and lower sci-fi films - notably of the flying saucer type. It is corny and oddball just like those old movies but doesn't go into the realm of overly funny or trying to make fun of them. It treats itself seriously just as the old films used to do. It isn't trying to make a modern take on it and go off the wall with ideas but stays concise and follows its main story with tips of the hat to various classics.
December 17, 2009
Great fun. All the cliches I'd hoped for with entirely welcome modern updates to the old sci-fi feel.
Ken D

November 7, 2009
Another movie that I found myself pleasantly surprised with. I really enjoyed the fact that this was an homage to the science fiction genre of the 50's as those were movies I enjoyed. It had the same cheesy looking creature, cheesy story and it even had a cheesy message at the end reminiscent of those kinds of movies. But the thing that really surprised me was how funny this film could be. I found myself laughing out loud at some of the lines, especially the line at the end about the pipe.
October 3, 2009
A great tribute to those 50s alien invasion flicks. An alien is attacked by a giant parasite in his flying saucer and crash-lands on earth. The parasite escapes and the alien goes after it. The rural townspeople start disappearing as the police investigate. Really funny if you enjoy the movies from which it got its inspiration. Watch along with Spaced Invaders, Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, Mars Attacks, Invasion!, Evil Alien Conquerors, and Lobster Man from Mars.
September 11, 2009
Light and all-around fun, this is a nice tribute to those cheesy 1950s sci-fi movies. The cast does a wonderful job and the story is nicely done. It's not a great film, but it's certainly entertaining and should be watched by anyone who's a fan of old-fashioned sci-fi flicks or just science fiction in general.
grayavec
July 14, 2009
Spoof of the alien movies that came out of the 1950s. Cheesy, fun, and colorful. Warning for non-B movie fans: the simple plot, the bad acting, and the lower grade special effects was done on purpose to make it seem exactly like an old-time sci-fi movie.
GarL1121
August 17, 2009
I thought it really brought back the films of classic B-Movies. I am a true fan of B-Movies, and this just gives me a BIG reminder of them...

Great film, in my opinion!
jam233
August 9, 2009
Amusing parody of 1950's sci-fi films. Nice feel for the period, the cast does well. It's fun, but doesn't always hit it's intended mark. Campy fun, light entertainment.
ljinseattle
April 1, 2009
I must say I loved the movie Alien Trespass. I saw it at a test screening in LA recently and because my parents are from the 50's I really didn't think I'd like it. However it's a movie that's intelligent yet innocent, vintage yet state-of-the-art, thrilling and also heart-felt. I thoroughly enjoyed the Gold-a-Vision concept; the colors were so vibrant! Alien Trespass is the best trapped-with-a-monster-right-behind-you movie I've seen in a long time. Wait until you see the Ghota! It's actually scary in a really creepy way.

Tammy (Jenny Baird) is a heroine like no other in 50's sci-fi films. She thrills you, she is strong yet she is also soft. Tammy is a real woman who does what she can (and then some) to protect herself and the people around her. Of course, the better known Eric McCormack, Dan Lauria and Robert Patrick all dole out superb performances; but keep in mind that this film is stocked with new-comers who are perfectly cast in their believable characters.

Alien Trespass is a perfect movie for both young and old. You won't see any nudity or hear any cussing - just a smart, clever script and a well-done storyline. A great sci-fi ride in a time machine. It's really a classic from the 50's (back to the future) and who knows - maybe it even could have happened . . .
limberg16
April 1, 2009
it wasn't too bad it is fun in that old 50's style scifi movie lore kind of way but it thought it was fun