Ambush Bay - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ambush Bay Reviews

Tecnoandre
½ July 24, 2010
What a horrible war movie!James Mitchum's performance is one of the worst in movie history(he was really an actor?).Forget it!
May 5, 2009
Good war film, very fine production. It always held my interest and the cast is good, especially Rooney and Mitchum. Good location filming.
October 22, 2011
Will watch it again alone by myself on my day off kay gisapot ang isa
½ May 13, 2011
Ambush Bay is a good war film. It is about a group of Marines who tried to join a Filipino guerrillas on a Japanese held Philippines. This film is flawed and riddled with cliches. The acting was decent by Mickey Rooney and James Mitchum. The script was okay but could have been developed more. Ron Winston did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture but I have seen better war films.
Tecnoandre
½ July 24, 2010
February 7, 2010
General Douglas MacArthur is about to return to the Philippines as he promised before the Japanese ran him off. A Marine commando force puts ashore to obtain valuable information from a source deep within enemy territory. As First Sgt. Steve Corey, Hugh O'Brien of "The Brass Legend" is tough-as-nails, and tyke-sized Mickey Rooney is no slouch as Gunnery Sgt. Ernest Wartell with his Thompson machine gun. The youngest member of their unit is Private First Class James Grenier (Jim Mitchum of "Moonrunners") who has never seen combat. They learn from their contact, Miyazaki (Tisa Chang of "Year of the Dragon") that the Japanese have laid an unusual minefield for the U.S. Navy. These mines are radio controlled and are anchored to the bottom of the bay. They are released and rise to the surface to blow up whatever they come into contact with. Grenier loses his radio with which he was entrusted. They have no way of contacting the U.S. Navy and MacArthur plans to land in 48 hours! Everybody dies except Grenier. Rooney has an amusing death scene. The Japanese approach him demanding information or they will kill him. He shows them a pair of hand grenades and calls them potatoes with the jackets on that he is willing to share with them. They retreat and he hurls the grenades at them. "Ambush Bay" is nothing special as far as behind-enemy-lines combat movies go. Essentially, this is a traditional war movie. The Americans are good guys, and the Japanese--who shoot women in cold blood--are the bad guys. Good performances, standard-issue heroics and lots of green scenery keep "Ambush Bay" from being too dreary. Incidentally, no sooner do our heroes immerse themselves in combat, their officer is attacked by a Japanese soldier and stabbed to death.
May 5, 2009
September 11, 2008
pretty good later stuff
July 8, 2007
Havent watched it but hey
½ June 27, 2007
Moves slowly and makes little sense. They are supposed to be special ops but their tactics are pretty lame...oh well...old war movies are hit and miss.
CloudIsAMonkey
January 26, 2007
Great, that just gave away the ending... -__-'