97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

time to see again
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 3, 2014
Amelie is a fun, entertaining and charming drama with comedic elements that is a unique film going experience. With a great story at hand, director Jean-Pierre Jeunet crafts a film that is quite eccentric in the way that it's told. I don't want to get into comparisons here, but the film somewhat reminded me a bit of Wes Anderson's work due to the fact that it has a plateau of varied characters, whimsical story and unique style. This is an accomplished movie, one that boasts a terrific story and some splendid performances. For a romantic drama comedy, Amelie succeeds at being an engaging film that will grab your attention from start to finish. I must admit, I didn't expect much from this film, but I was pleasantly surprised at how good the film was. Audrey Tautou does some great work here, and is perfect in the lead role, and I feel she brings a certain charm to her performance that really adds much more depth to the film. Viewers wanting a good mix of drama and comedy, aided by a well written storyline, then this is a must see film. The film has enough wit and charm to satisfy anyone looking for a good film that is different in the way it presents a romantic story. This is a bizarre take on an old genre, and in many ways, it's a terrific way to tell a story. Amelie has charm, and that's key in making a worthwhile film to watch. The acting and story go hand in hand, and for viewers looking for something different, Amelie might be that film that you're looking for. This is a film that worth seeing, and one that exceeds expectations, and like I said, I expected to be disappointed, but I walked away enjoying it.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

August 17, 2013
Oozing charm and creativity, "Amélie" is a beautiful pastry of a movie. Sweet and bursting with color, it's delicious indeed but after a few bites you expect more. The film is so proud of its charming cleverness that it gets in the way of the story which takes a back seat to the quirky characters and unusual personalities.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet has inspired many cinematographers and art directors with his work and "Amélie" remains his grand achievement. With so much work given in creating such an interesting French world, it's too bad the central story is shrug-worthy.
366weirdmovies
366weirdmovies

December 19, 2007
A Parisian girl devotes herself to secretly helping those around her, but is it only because she's afraid to go after love herself? This crowd-pleasing comedy/romance with talking photographs and other magical elements is whimsical almost to the point of being flighty. Enjoyable for sure, but I wouldn't have minded seeing a few cannibals pop up.
Alice S

June 7, 2007
Delightful and quirky before delightful and quirky became "in." Beautiful score by Yann Tiersen. I'm not terribly sold on Amelie's painful shyness though.
garyX
garyX

December 21, 2006
Amelie is a young woman who grew up with only her emotionally challenged parents for company, and now lives in a world which is a combination of fantasy and vicarious experience as she touches the lives of those around her. Amelie is also a the kind of film that reminds you why you fell in love with cinema in the first place; and not just because Audrey Tautou is so adorable I could eat her up with a dessert spoon. Well, not entirely anyway. Some may be shocked to hear that I'm not exactly a fan of romances, but this is bittersweet, funny and touching in a way all romance aspires to but very few achieve; it's one of those films that's life affirming in a way that makes you feel like your life is richer for having seen it. Compared to this, the likes of Eternal Sunshine and its ilk are like inebriated, club-footed bullocks with poor depth perception crashing around in an existential china shop. Chock full of beautiful images and sounds, thought provoking and utterly enchanting, and an instant favourite. Just see it; your life will be better for it...
Sophie B

October 23, 2011
A fantastically written, shot and edited film with something for everyone. It keeps you interested throughout the film, wondering which way it's going to turn next. You're never sure they're going to have a happy ending which keeps the tension and believability of the film. Brilliant performance by Tautou and just such a great watch that you can see it again and again and still find out something new. A must-see.
Daniel J D

July 24, 2007
Don't know how I missed this film for so long because it's become my favorite film. It's like Tim Burton but French, French, here, meaning "better."
Mark W

June 12, 2010
Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet's collaboration with co-writer/director Marc Caro resulted in a couple of marvellous and inventive films in "Delicatessan" and "The City of Lost Children". Those two had a dark element to them but now that Jeunet has went his own way, "Amelie" shows that he is the one that possesses the lighter side of the duo.
In the heart of Paris, Amelie (Audrey Tautou) brings joy to her friends, secretly sorting out the sad little problems in their lives. But when she discovers a strange photo album belonging to Nino (Mathieu Kassovitz) she realises that she is in love and has problems of her own to sort out.
I struggle to think of a contemporary film that boasts such richness in detail and creative, infectious enthusiasm as 'Amelie' does. It's playfulness, poetry and emotion are rarely touched upon these days in film and director Jean-Pierre Jeunet deserves applause for his uplifting achievements here. It's also stunningly shot by cinematographer Bruno Delbonnel (inspired by the paintings of Brazilian artist Juarez Machado) lending an artistic look to the highly creative and artistic content. Without being overly elaborate though, it finds its art in the simple things in life, observing people's individual pleasures and pains. Quite simply, the whole film is a complete joy to behold. The performances are also delightful. As much as I'm an admirer of actress Emily Watson (whom the role of Amelie was originally intended) I'm glad the relatively unknown Audrey Tautou got the part. She is absolutely adorable and captures the essence of this wonderful character perfectly. With flair and originality that's hard to come by these days, 'Amelie' is one of the most beautiful pieces of cinema I have seen and will always be one of my favourites.
The humour; the look; the characters and performances; the delightful and fitting music by Yann Tiersen all culminate into the ultimate feel-good film and confirmation of the creativity and inventiveness of French cinema. A heartwarming modern classic.
Drake T

September 14, 2011
Stylistically ravishing, Amelia is a movie that not only charms like no other but also delivers a delightful adventure about finding innocence in otherwise dreary circumstances. Romance, fun, self discovery all delivered with imagination. A good watch.
Jan Marc M

September 10, 2011
Amélie is a delightful, charming, and innocent satire on love and reality. Whimsical, stylized storytelling. An unforgettable adventure of identity and romance. Audrey Tautou, the cast, and the movie and its technical cinematography are all fabulously radiant.
Jon J.
Jon J.

April 6, 2011
With all of the hustle and bustle of modern day life, we often tend to forget the simple pleasures of our existence. Everything in our society needs to have a "purpose", a raison d'être outside of just being simple entertainment. Amélie is a celebration of those little frivolities, blending a wealth of colors and charming characters to create a world that seems far more energetic, hopeful and filled with life than an outward glance may suggest. That is not only where the film succeeds, but where it utterly triumphs over most of its romantic and comedic competitors. It's a special, wonderful film that is nothing more than a modern classic.

Amélie Poulain is an eccentric young girl with a roving imagination and an infinitely charming disposition. One day, she finds a little tin box in a hidden compartment at her home. Inside the box is an assortment of memorabilia and trinkets, and she makes it her mission to find the owner of this treasure. When the return of the box triggers a slight reform in the habits of its owners, Amélie decides to try and help everyone that she can. This kind goal leads not only to the happiness of others, but to her finding her one true love on the way.

Audrey Tautou is absolutely entrancing as the lead role of Amélie. She is both quirky and warm, without feeling forced in her acting. It is an essential quality of the film, since she is of course the focal force of it all. Amélie's actions, however small, are testaments to her caring nature and in return she gets to see the lives of others change in interesting ways. The supporting cast does a great job of being simultaneously extensions of Amélie's kindness and independently interesting characters. In the beginning, we are given a few random facts about each of them which oddly enough give more depth to their character than otherwise. What they love, what they hate, it creates a lasting bond with the characters that never goes away.

That is what makes Amélie wonderful. It doesn't focus on what is obvious, but focuses more on what is important to the individual. Age, job, past difficulties and successes, all of these things are forgotten shortly after their announcement. However, the fact that Amélie loves to skip stones, that she loves to crack the caramelized sugar on a créme brulée with a teaspoon; that is what says more about her character than anything else. She is also always learning something new and in her pursuit of granting others happiness, she learns a lot about herself too and her weaknesses. The people she meets become both mentors and recipients of kindness, helping her in finding her way as much as being helped themselves.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet is ever present in the film's look and direction. Amélie is a film that, not surprisingly, takes pleasure in being flamboyant and at times random. Some scenes are fast-forwarded, in others the camera shakes profoundly to emulate a speeding locomotive's force and the desperation of the moment. The surroundings are bursting with color, beautiful reds, yellows and oranges ornate the scenery and makes it its own character in the film. Jeunet specializes in being whimsical and its here where his vision really gets to shine. Instead of alluding to certain elements, he'll often just show it out right. If Amélie is imagining something, we get to see it happen in real time. Amélie becomes all the more special for it and it helps to maintain an almost constant dream-like sheen over the film.

Amélie is just filled with life and energy, and instead of being overbearing and obnoxious, it delivers its vision, its message and its glee with an effortless panache. It's both funny, heart-felt and pretty, rising out of the crowd like the character Amélie herself. It never loses sight of humanity's lighter side and instead of looking through the eyes of a pessismist, what we see is a society that just needs a helping hand. What we must do, then, is be like Amélie, and take life as the gift that it is.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

April 4, 2011
Great movie! Still so fresh and funny 9 years later and im sure it will be in 90 years. A feel good movie that really makes me want to move to Paris.
Shawn E

March 14, 2011
A french comedy that's bright, quirky, and heartwarming. It's no challenge for innocent Amelie to make you crack a smile at her peculiar ways.
Cindy I

May 11, 2007
For some unknown reason, I kept putting off seeing this delightful film, even though everybody kept telling me to see it. One of these days I'll learn to listen.
Spencer S

November 28, 2009
Goofy, manic, informational, ironic, and gorgeous. Jeunet does it once more with great casting and cinematography.
jamers2011
jamers2011

September 27, 2010
A great little film about life and the little things that make it special. This movie is so clever, creative, and quirky. Audrey Tautou is so perfect. A great film!
aSpaceCowboy
aSpaceCowboy

March 19, 2008
The beautifully designed visuals and technical effects may take away from an every shifting ring of love stories, but the characters are so charming and cute that this hilarious and adorable romantic comedy becomes such a fun and enjoyable way to spend 2 hours.
familiar s

January 11, 2009
Simply not my type of flick; felt it quite boring & yawn-inducing.
Jeremy S

March 28, 2006
Much beloved (not much by the French)Amelie is a heart warming, beautiful film ultimatley about faith in the goodness of the human spirit.