• R, 2 hr. 2 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

American Beauty Reviews

Adriel L

January 20, 2014
Exceptionally quirky, entertainingly intelligent and witty and finally and importantly, stirringly poignant.
garyX
garyX

November 4, 2006
Lester Burnham is undergoing a serious midlife crisis; pining for his lost youth and obsessing over a teenage cheerleader, he's married to a joyless go-getter who encloses herself in an armour of sarcasm and self-help and has a daughter who he cannot communicate with and clearly hates his guts. Most of the laughs in this film are provided by Lester's social rebellion, but it's communication (or lack thereof) is what this wonderful film is all about. Full of people who feel suffocated by their own apparently meaningless lives, it's a story of ordinary people full of wants and needs but unable to express them because of the overwhelming feeling that they must do what is expected of them; they must at least APPEAR to be "normal". Lester's fantasies about the young girl are just projections of what he feels is missing from his life, just as his wife's desperate need for "success" are. The cast are all perfect, the multi-layered script sparkles with witty dialogue and it's full of memorable moments, culminating in a deeply moving, insightful and thought provoking finale. Genuinely beautiful.
Louis R

July 18, 2012
A powerful, peerless disassembly of the american dream, midlife crises and the suburbian experience. Wry, haunting and poetic.
Red L

September 19, 2012
Thought provoking movie. On one hand, Lester is motivated to make significant changes to his life - some positive. On the other hand, lusting after one of your daughter's girlfriends and working as a server at the local burger joint are not feasible long-term goals either. It is difficult to summarize this movie in a few words - but it doesn't portray suburban life in the most positive way.
Cameron S

July 30, 2012
A highly watchable dissembowlment of the American dream, Kevin Spacey leads the cast as his character Lester Burnham goes through a midlife crisis and falls in love with one of his daughter's friends. The stand out moments for me featured Wes Bentley who plays an estranged son to a military veteran who sells weed and has an obsession with recording the world around him.

The film's ideology is strong and the film itself is shot well enough for the topic at hand. The film also features interesting imagery revolving around rose petals. The film doesn't really have many substantial negatives but the overall package is only good enough for a 4 out of 5 from me. Still a must see though.
Kase V

July 6, 2012
Sam Mendes strikes cinematic gold with his film debut 'American Beauty'. Many may remember this film for sweeping the competition on Oscar Night in 1999, yet there is no doubt that this film never lost its touch. The acting is perfect with Spacey delivering one of the best performances I've seen, and Mendes' always-amazing cinematography is at its best here. Each scene is as powerful as the last, and the script provides great dialogue and a poignant story. 'American Beauty' is about redemption, and reclaiming a meaningful life. In other words, everyone should see this film.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

November 16, 2011
American Beauty is close to a pure masterpiece. Superb acting from Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening. Along with a unique soundtrack and fantastic story,this lovely film will show you not just an outlook on American life, but to 'look closer' at everything in life.
This is true to being an original and beautiful film that deserves a place amongst the best movies ever made.
KJ P

September 25, 2010
It is very difficult to describe my emotions throughout this film, but there was not a frame in this film where I didn't have a warm feeling in my heart. Through the darkest of times and through the happiest of times throughout this film, I felt connected to each and every character who contributed into the foundation of what human life truly means. Kevin Spacey, in one of the best performances I have ever seen on screen, helms one of the most defining roles in film history (my opinion). As Lester (Kevin Spacey) begins to fall in love with his daughters best friend and purchases drugs from his young neighbour who is curious about his daughter, he begins to turn his life inside out, into the way that he feels comfortable. The audience knows right from the beginning that this is a story of how he loses his life, but the journey of how he reaches peace is an absolutely facinating life adventure. I think "American Beauty" is one of the most important films in cinema that will ever be released. The shots capture the elements needed in order to display the images of true human beauty, the dialogue is stupendously written, the tone of the film makes you want to cheer as tears role down your face in happiness, and the directing is indescribable beyond belief. In my opinion, "American Beauty" is one of the best films of all time!
Albert K

March 18, 2012
First off, Kevin Spacey and Annette Bening are absolutely amazing. Cinematography is literally picture perfect and the direction was spot on. "American Beauty" is a hilarious, extremely intelligent movie with one of the most unique screenplays to grace cinema in the 90's. This is an absolute must watch for any movie-goer.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 26, 2009
Cast: Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Thora Birch, Wes Bentley, Mena Suvari, Chris Cooper, Peter Gallagher, Allison Janney, Scott Bakula, Sam Robards, Ara Celi, John Cho, Sue Casey, Amber Smith, Matthew Kimbrough

Director: Sam Mendes

Summary: While struggling to endure his perfection-obsessed wife (Annette Bening), an unfulfilling job and a sullen teenage daughter (Thora Birch), suburbanite Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) falls deep into a midlife crisis and becomes infatuated with one of his daughter's friends (Mena Suvari).

My Thoughts: "It was love at first sight with this dark, twisted, witty film. This is by far one of my top ten films that I just love and can watch anytime. Kevin Spacey is just brilliant in this film. Probably his best role ever. The entire cast was amazing. Every-one of them fit their role. Each character is so complex and messed up in their own unique way, and they draw you into their madness. You go on an emotional ride in this film. The twists and turns are masterly perfected. Wes Bentley was definitely the most haunted character. I really liked him in this. This film has it all, great directing, script, and performances. It's a must see!"
c0up
c0up

November 18, 2010
'American Beauty'. Deeply dark, provocative humour and a stellar ensemble cast. What more can you expect when there's a script written by Alan Ball and direction by Sam Mendes?!
Daniel P

April 15, 2007
Glad I re-watched this. The last time was the year that it came out, and I was 17. This time around, it reminded me of Garden State - a very adolescent film. Mendes has since gotten better - of course he eventually did Revolutionary Road, it all makes sense! - but this one is a little (a lot) on the precious side, appealing almost more for the angsty teenager storyline than for the midlife crisis that got Spacey his Oscar. The film's not without its insights, but the characters are so manichean and stiff in their purpsoses that overall, they aren't all that human. It's the point, to an extent - that all the life has been sucked out of these suburbanites - but the film plods along rather flatly. It's a film about being self-centred consumers, but it lays its point so bare that it often shakes you out of the illusion. A good early film from a decent director, but not one that stands the test of time.
Jan Marc M

September 10, 2011
Rich in metaphor, messages, and philosophy, American Beauty put simply is a hundred percent subliminal beauty.
Idrees K

May 19, 2011
I find it treacherous to sit and analyze what makes this a good film and attempt to reduce it to a mere list of pros and cons. So instead, I will simply admire the beauty of it, and I hope that you can too.
Sam B

August 15, 2011
Haunting and perfectly cast, American Beauty is a great example of film as literature
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 27, 2011
American Beauty is a spectacular drama film brilliantly directed by Sam Mendes. American Beauty is an incredible film that is brilliantly crafted and brilliantly acted and directed. The film displays some strong acting from it's actors and Chris Cooper delivers one of his greatest performances. The story is quite strong here, and engages the viewer and you become suckered in by the solid acting and Mendes' strong directing. American Beauty is like a fine whiskey, you savor every minute of it, and you endulge in it's rich atmosphere it brings. A near flawless story with a brlliant array of talented actors, American Beauty is one of the best dramatic pictures filmed in recent times. Kevin Spacey delivers the performance of his career. As far as I'm concerned, this is Sam Mendes best film and American Beauty is a terrific cinematic achievement that remains a solid piece of of work. This is a film not to miss. What makes this film truly engaging is the rich characters, the conflicts that each and everyone faces. The relationship between Colonel Fitts and his son for example, and the constant rebellious that Lester Burnham unleashes after a midlife crises This is one of the best films that I've seen, and it's filled to the brim with solid acting that will please the true cinema fanatics. American Beauty is a superbly well crafted film.
Jay H

July 29, 2011
I don't think the film's vision could have been more fully realized. All of the film's lofty objectives are achieved, and then some. Though it initially feels like no more than a superficial satire on middle-class suburbia -- though it is a satire in many ways -- there's so much more to it. Few films so gracefully give us so much to think about, all while captivating us each and every wonderful second of its remarkable tale.
Lucas M

July 7, 2011
With great direction, a criative screenplay and terrific acting, American Beauty, show be one of the best films from 90's, together with your darky humor and the story of an dysfunctional family. Fresh.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
Weird. Didn't really get it and didn't enjoy it at all. It's generous to give it half a star.