• PG-13, 1 hr. 48 min.

American Dreamz Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 30, 2012
Average comedy that is much better than what I'd think this would be, American Dreamz had good moments of laughter. The cast assembled here are pretty good in their parts. The film pokes fun of American Idol and it does it very well. This isn't the best comedy around, but works well enough to keep you entertained. The film is fairly underrated and it does manage at being one of those films that is much better than what the critics said. I found this film to be very amusing and I'm not one who normally likes these types of films. I enjoyed the film and thought it had plenty of good laughs throughout the film. The script was imperfect, but worked well enough to be entertaining. I thought that Mandy Moore was great here and really was the best part about the film. If you're looking for a good comedy with some good laughs, then this film is for you. The cast make the film interesting and director Paul Weitz keeps the ball rolling in delivering the laughs. American Dreamz is not a perfect comedy, but for what it is, it's a mindless comedy that is underrated. The film is purely a mindless, enjoyable comedy. If you're in the mood for something fun, then give this one a shot, just don't expect anything great with the film. The film nonetheless succeeds at being funny despite its imperfections. The cast make it work well and the gags are funny. This a very good underrated comedy that is worth seeing.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

April 4, 2011
This movie sucked, I hated every moment of it. It was unfunny, bad story, characters are idiots, and the ending was retarded.
Alice S

July 10, 2010
Laugh-out-loud satire about our land of excess. Omer, the terrorist, is the most reasonable character in the entire movie: "I just feel confused...about this country. There are so many nice people here, but it does so much harm in the world... So to what degree is this country culpable for its actions? Are Americans to blame for America?"
Anthony L

June 1, 2010
American Dreamz has good intentions, it just takes too much on. Weitz should have picked a subject, concentrated on that one subject and he'd have been laughing. In the end his attempt at satire just becomes a gibbering rant that goes of at such a tangent that the entire point soon gets lost. It's a shame but there are enough witty quips to keep you mildly entertained and I thought Dennis Quaid did a good Bush impression!
Conner R

December 8, 2009
A completely unintentional awkward movie. It has absolutely no plot and is a mess. It seems to be nothing more than a series of impressions of celebrities and political figures. However, the only one that seems to work is Willem Dafoe's, who is one scary Dick Cheney.
Jennifer X

June 30, 2009
First off I'd like to say how thoroughly entertained I was with all the music, dancing, and Mandy Moore. Oddly enough she has become the newest addition to the mecca of stars that I Will Watch In Anything, alongside Anna Faris, Evan Rachel Wood, Lisa Kudrow, and Isla Fisher. That being said, the movie doesn't really deliver what it claims to. It's not a serious satire - not exaggerated enough, not funny enough, and not barbed enough. The Bush-Cheney parody was just kind of stupid and unnecessary; I guess they did an ok job acting it but I feel like the American Idol parody could have stood alone fine without it. Hugh Grant is good at playing assholes, check. Jennifer Coolidge is a funny lady, check. The Middle Eastern dancing made me happy. But take away Mandy Moore and you take away half the movie.
Dan S

November 2, 2007
An uneven mockery of American pop culture and politics. The scenes with Dennis Quaid portraying a Bush clone are the best, although that's not saying very much considering the movie isn't very good. It's main problem is that it falls victim to what it's trying to make fun of. I get the fact that it's a self-parody to a degree, but the ending is so poorly put together, it really makes you wonder, why did this movie have to be made? When numerous, gaping plot holes are exposed when it tries to be political, you don't buy it. When it tries to have a "sweet" side, you can't feel good for the characters (usually Grant and Moore) involved. This movie is a great example of a good idea wasted on a dumb script with unfunny characters.
Jens S

June 14, 2006
This satire doesn't show much respect for anything. A dumb president and his adviser, clearly reminiscent of Bush and Cheney, Arabic terrorists, white trash American Idol contestants and an arrogant host, all are being treated equally by this movie and made fun of. The only likable character is actually (and intentionally) the singing dancing terrorist, which says a lot. In other words, the script is actually pretty smart in all its exaggerated yet spot on observations on those topics. What's lacking are some really big laughs, though. The cast is well picked and makes up for the lack of jokes. Entertaining and actually quite mean.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

November 4, 2007
very poor
very very boring no point to it one of hugh grants worst films terrible
Michael G

June 22, 2007
I'm a big fan of satire and for as much as American Dreamz bashed both Bush and American Idol, my expectations were needless to say pretty high as it showed more promise than a gorgeous nymphomaniac with low standards, deep pockets and no self esteem. And for as great a job as Quaid and Dafoe did tackling Bush and Cheney respectively (not to mention how well Grant portrays the douchy hybrid of Simon Cowell and Ryan Seacrest), it all fell flat. Mandy Moore was contemptible in a really boring way, Jennifer Coolidge was grossly underused and for as funny as a few of the lines were, I just found myself not caring when it was done.
Wildaly M

May 16, 2007
I think anyone who 'hates' this movie or give it a bad review obviously didn't GET the movie. It's a parody. Satire. It's making fun of people. Most likely those people include YOU.
James A

June 8, 2006
A really boring and bad movie. I think it was suppossed to be a comedy, yet there was nothing funny about it.
ajaymuthecooldevils
ajaymuthecooldevils

May 23, 2006
Not good at all.... Not an entertaining movie... And actually, i'm kinda bored while watching this movie. But, I'm love when they all start to sing.... They're fantastic. And the most amazingly is Omer, I love his performance when he sing "My Way". That song just to be my fave oldies song, and he performs it very very well....
Mark E

May 17, 2006
Tedious but loved Willem Dafoe's slaphead
Bradley W

December 2, 2011
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

July 1, 2010
In the furthest recesses of the New Mexico desert, not far from where the first atomic bomb was test detonated, a team of scientists is positing a theory so awe-inspiring that it'd make Robert Openheimer mushroom cloud in his grave: The funny song parodies of Weird Al Yankovic, it would seem, lose their resonance once his source material fades from the American cultural landscape. For better and worse, American Dreamz, writer/director Paul Weitz's satirical look into popular culture in a post-9/11 America, exemplifies the Yankovic theorem. Brimming with clever parody, the movie generates a few laughs, yes, but it ultimately fails as satire, largely because the comedy is one giant disposable reference. After the main subjects of this satiric roast, American Idol and the current Bush administration, are relegated into Trivial Pursuit questions and history books, the movie will no longer connect with audiences.

In this PG-13-rated comedy, the host (Hugh Grant) of an American TV talent program welcomes the opportunity to have the clueless U.S. president (Dennis Quaid) appear as a guest judge on the evening a contestant (Sam Golzari) plans to Jihad himself.

If the film were made in the vein of a Scary Movie or, even better, an Airplane romp, its place on the comedy mantle would be secure. These films succeed as parodies. Dreamz, however, aims much higher, trying to conquer the broad satirical heights of Dr. Strangelove and, more recently, State and Main. And Dreamz, Senator, is no Strangelove.

Bottom Line: Bad Dreamz.
Alec B

May 13, 2008
This is a soft satire that introduces nothing new. All the jokes are old ones, and the cast tries their best but the material is useless. I think this could have been much better as a dark satire but instead it was made to be light and cute which just annoyed the hell out of me. Oh yeah and I hate it when an "s" i in a word is repleaced be a "z" I don't care the reason . . . it should never be done, under penalty of death.
Nicolas K

April 13, 2008
It is a typical film you would expect Hugh Grant to be in, but this one is not particularly enjoyable.
meril l

Extremely idiotic. It attempts to take an ironic look at reality TV competitions, and ends up making a mockery of itself.
William G

November 7, 2006
A screwball farce that lands more of its blows than other comedies can come close to claiming.