• R, 1 hr. 56 min.

JonathanHutchings
JonathanHutchings

February 8, 2012
Paul Schrader's homage to Bresson's Pickpocket proves three things:

1) Being a good screenwriter doesn't automatically make you a good director.

2) Hector Elizondo was bald even when he was young.

3) Richard Gere cannot carry a film to save his life.
Conner R

March 15, 2011
I think that American Gigalo is an underrated movie to say the least. Most people who do admit to being a fan of it say that it's just because they like Richard Gere in anything. Not only do I think this is a whole-heartedly good movie, it's way more conscious of its time period and atmosphere than pretty much everything else that it was released against. Sure we have some great criticisms of the 80s, made a full decade later. This judges contemporary lifestyles and even narrative expectations. It doesn't hurt that American Gigalo is a beautiful movie to look at; it makes all the content so much more digestible and even backs up the argument. This shows beautiful people doing bizarre things, having a shady moral code and getting away with murder (practically).
AJ V

March 23, 2011
First of all, excellent cinematography and cool music (it was all based on Blondie's song call me). What I didn't like was the cast, they weren't that great, especially Gere. The best part was the end. Overall, it's a pretty good drama, but it really could have been better.
deano
deano

March 30, 2007
Richard Gere is electrifying as the title role in this stylish, sexually charged drama film.
Sunil J

May 28, 2008
Dated, so some of the shock value has gone but it's still alright.
alanjayh
alanjayh

June 9, 2008
a hallmark film for its time..great start then sinks under its own weight..a bit pretntious and serious..could have been alot more fun if it was handled lighter....not gere's best role to be sure..but he does an adequate job. Great soundtrack though!
Christopher B

May 27, 2007
Another fantastic character study from the always interesting Schrader.
pettwaycareycarey
June 7, 2011
a favorite from back in the day....i still play smoky robinson ''just a mirage'' song before i head out on tour....lol
The80sExpert
September 20, 2008
Am I the only one who doesn't find Gere attractive? His acting in this movie is pretty one dimensional. What I liked about this movie was the story, especially the ending which was the most exciting part of the whole movie, and I loved the cinematography, this is a sharp looking picture. If only it weren't so long, and they'd have gotten a cuter male lead, this would have been a fantastic movie.
terris85017
terris85017

April 1, 2010
(1980 Director: Paul Schrader) This movie is a must-see for the time period, for a movie that gave Richard Gere his fame...Oh, by the way, THIS IS RICHARD GERE WEEK!!
bradwest
February 18, 2009
The movie that really put Richard Gere on the map. Interesting look at the escort/hooker thing from the male side. Has a look that predates what Michael Mann would later appropriate. Last third seems forced to add energy.
lizzycash24
November 10, 2008
T.D. Faison should do remake of American Gigolo starring Richard Gere. Funny thing about this is that T.D. Faison actually was a high priced gigolo. What a story. Let's start a campaign to get this story remade with T.D. as the lead...
insanenutball
March 11, 2008
one of the two sexiest roles Richard Gere ever had....its a very good movie on top of it all...but damn Richard is so sexy in this!!
terryc1000
January 10, 2008
The movie that started it all. It launched Gere's career and my love affair with this gorgeous, talented man on the silver screen. Wow. Every true fan must see this movie. Shame on you if you haven't. Believe me. It's your loss.
tjo7
September 28, 2007
This movie was very shocking. Films were previously made regarding sex workers. However, this film examined the male sex worker, and featured him naked for all to see. That was a first for its time. The honesty of the lead characters matched the honestly of their ethics. My favorite scene was Richard Gere in the record shop. I kept all of my LP records from 1980 on, and it brings a huge smile to my face every time I see it. Well, that's my second favorite scene. My favorite scene is Julian opening his drawers trying to pick out the perfect outfit for a date, with the soundtrack blaring. I still have the soundtrack on LP.
ShaliniShaker
August 12, 2007
I did not like this movie at all. I thought it was slow, pointless, and the ending was all wrong. It only received two stars because of the casting.
June 13, 2007
American Gigolo is surely one of the most underrated movies of all times. It's a very good movie, in my opinion second best of Paul Schrader's films, right after "Mishima - Life in four chapters", and I never understood why it got all the bad reviews. First of all it's one of the most stylish films I've ever seen, with fascinating scenes from start to finish, vibrant colors and beautiful sets and exterior shots. Paul Schrader, apart from being a great scriptwriter is also the master of photography, maybe the best in modern Hollywood. American Gigolo is a phenomenal character study too, struggle of a lonely man against the society he doesn't belong to, and in which he was artificially implanted by becoming something he's not. Michelle (Lauren Hutton) succeeds in bringing out the true Julian Kay, and their relationship on screen is very close and direct, although it maybe doesn't seem so, probably because both of the actors appear cold and distant, but that's just the result of the world they're living in. Both their lives are fake, and the only time they are real is with one another. The love scene between Julian and Michelle is one of the best in history of the cinema, it tells so much without showing much. Paul Schrader is one of my favorite directors, but that's only a small fraction of why I'm giving this movie

10 out of 10
May 4, 2007
This is one of the films that helped start Richard Gere's career in Hollywod. Lauren Hutton is superb in this with with her acting and with her grace. A classic 1980 film that is timeless.
zancov
April 12, 2007
The first movie I ever say Richard Gere in and I fell in love with him and try to watch all his movies!1