68% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

American Gun Reviews

June 12, 2007
[font=Century Gothic]"American Gun" consists of three separate storylines:[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]1) In Ellisburgh, Oregon, the third anniversary of a high school massacre is fast approaching. The mother of one of the shooters, Janet Huttenson(Marcia Gay Harden), is stuggling to get by. Her younger son, David(Chris Marquette), is now the age of his older brother when he died.(But I don't understand why she never moved away to give her younger son a fresh start. Frankly, nobody can handle that much pain and torment.) [/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]2) On the south side of Chicago, a high school principal(Forest Whitaker, again proving that he is one of the best actors around) works everyday to make his school a safe place to learn.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]3) In Charlottesville, Va, Mary Ann(Linda Cardellini) is attending the University of Virginia . She is uneasy about working in the gun store that her grandfather(Donald Sutherland) owns.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"American Gun" has an interesting set-up that promises a thorough examination of gun violence in America but the movie goes nowhere quickly and shamefully ducks out of the way of any politcs. Instead, it takes an ineffectual approach to the material that reeks of touchy-feely sentimentalism. Yes, families need to communicate better and we can all use a group hug from time to time but none of that does anything to address the urgent problem of the ready availability of guns in this country.[/font]
William G

November 30, 2006
Not too trite, but not very original or effective, either.
mbruth1
December 28, 2007
would have done better to focus on one storyline (the one with Marcia Gay Harden) rather than 3, but interesting independent film
illusionalreveur
April 14, 2007
This movie was amazing!!! All of the actors did an incredible job. A pretty good story line and a great message. Guns are bad... HELLO?
July 17, 2013
This movie really shows pepole that guns are very serious buisness.
Bill B.
August 5, 2012
This film is just another pathetic attempt to demonize guns and portray gun ownership as some sort of dark cloud in peoples lives. Not even a nice try. What would be nice is if a film was produced showing the truth of the many lives that are saved everyday by people who are concealled carry holders who are still alive because murderers, robbers, rapists and home invaders were stopped before their devious plans could be carried out. Or how about a film that goes along with actual national statistics that indicate when people have to wait for police to arrive during a shooting rampage an average of 14.3 people are killed compared with 2.3 deaths when the rampage is stopped by armed citizens. Another interesting docudrama would be to show the devestating effects of Autralia's nationwide ban on guns and how its citizens are now helpless victims as armed robbery is up 68%, armed assaults are up 28%, home invastions are up 21% and so on. I think those who are brave enough to tell the truth would be surprised at the response and the support that they would receive from producing a high quality film on these topics I just mentioned, which would be in complete contrast to this film which drags on with useless, misleading content.
February 27, 2012
Sarcastic movie to American nation (and it's hurtfully true!)
January 30, 2012
Es innegable que las historias son interesantes y emotivas, así como que tocan una temática muy propia de nuestro tiempo con la crudeza que lo amerita, pero es justo la excesiva variedad de historias lo que termina convirtiendo la cinta en un amasigo de subtramas que no termina de ser coherente. Algunas historias no calzan del todo salvo por detalles muy nimios que las relacionan temáticamente con las demás, por lo que generan la sensación de que son totalmente innecesarias, lo que se confirma con los desenlaces abruptos y simplones en que desembocan. Las dos historias principales adolecen también de finales abruptos y malogrados, fundamentalmente porque el de una es demasiado benevolente y el de la otra es más bien demasiado cruento.
October 2, 2011
It seemed like it had a good message to send, but there was too many loose ends.
FilmGrinder S.
July 15, 2010
Despite its flaws...I lovesss my guns! So this bleeding heart tale did nothing for me. LORD OF WAR, now that's a anti-gun flick!
xcrunnerjd
October 29, 2007
The overall concept of the movie - some lives can be made terrible by guns - was driven home very well by the interesting stories following three individuals. The problem for me was that these stories never came together, nor did they have any clear finality.

June 12, 2007
jazza923
May 6, 2007
Great pacing, fine performances, convincing, as well as disturbing. It's a very moving film. Well directed. Solid throughout. Believable, well thought out.
MonkeyKnifeFight
February 20, 2007
[color=white][font=Arial][b][i]Meet Me in St. Louis[/i][/b] 8/10[/font][/color]

[font=Arial][color=white]Well done. One of Judy Garland?s best. Good movie for a closely knit family. [/color][/font]

[color=white][font=Arial][b][i]The Prestige[/i][/b] 7/10[/font][/color]

[font=Arial][color=white]Kept me guessing th entire time. I like it when a movie it not predictable. And the ending shocked me![/color][/font]

[color=white][font=Arial][b][i]American Gun[/i][/b] 7/10[/font][/color]

[color=white][font=Arial]Pretty good. It wasn?t one of those preachy movies that say, ?guns are bad!? It actually works better that way. I wish they built more on two of the characters, but it still worked well. [/font][/color]

[color=white][font=Arial][b][i]Guys and Dolls[/i][/b] 5/10[/font][/color]

[font=Arial][color=white]Not what I was really hoping for. I didn?t like Brando in this at all. [/color][/font]

[color=white][font=Arial][b][i]In The Cut[/i][/b] 4/10[/font][/color]

[font=Arial][color=white]The trailers and commercials for this movie always made it seem like Mark Ruffalo?s character was the bad guy. Since this was the case, I was waiting for him to attack Meg Ryan. But when I realized half way through he wasn?t going to do a damn thing, it became clear who the real killer was. Especially after Meg Ryan?s character kept accusing him of the killings. There are no surprises in this movie. As much as I hate to use the following term, this was no more than a ?chick flick? with an ?edge.?[/color][/font]
frameofmind
November 28, 2006
[i][b]Addicted[/b][/i] >> Not what I was expecting. Reminds me of some good twisted Japanese films.

[b][i]American Gun[/i][/b] >> Interesting and had pretty good potential until the cliched ending. The neighborly street argument got under my skin and actually kind of pissed me off.

[i][b]Wordplay[/b][/i] >> Damn, I didn't know people could finish crosswords so quickly. Expanded my world and was funny at times.

[b][i]Find Me Guilty[/i][/b] >> Vin Diesel's performance is pretty darn good. The movie is charming and funny, however, I don't think I see a theme to it all.

[b][i]The Science of Sleep[/i][/b] >> Although not a masterpiece like [i]Eternal Sunshine[/i], this comes very close with even stranger sequences and creative flair. The characters are interesting and the story is unpredictable. More open ended than most. Great character study!
jennifer's picks & pa
September 17, 2006
Not much to say about the first three films other than I disliked them all. [i]Collateral[/i] was slick but rather predictable.