Movies Like An American in Paris

Opening

20% Transcendence Apr 18
53% Heaven Is for Real Apr 16
7% A Haunted House 2 Apr 18
89% Bears Apr 18
58% Fading Gigolo Apr 18

Top Box Office

89% Captain America: The Winter Soldier $41.3M
47% Rio 2 $39.3M
71% Oculus $12.0M
62% Draft Day $9.8M
77% Noah $7.6M
41% Divergent $7.4M
13% God's Not Dead $5.5M
92% The Grand Budapest Hotel $4.1M
79% Muppets Most Wanted $2.3M
78% Mr. Peabody & Sherman $1.9M

Coming Soon

45% The Other Woman Apr 25
—— Brick Mansions Apr 25
72% The Amazing Spider-Man 2 May 02
100% Neighbors May 09
—— Godzilla May 16

Premieres Tonight

—— Devious Maids: Season 2
50% Salem: Season 1

New Episodes Tonight

38% Believe: Season 1
83% The Bletchley Circle: Season 2
—— Californication: Season 7
83% Call the Midwife: Season 3
61% Crisis: Season 1
98% Game of Thrones: Season 4
100% The Good Wife: Season 5
86% Mad Men: Season 7
—— The Mentalist: Season 6
—— Mr. Selfridge: Season 2
—— Nurse Jackie: Season 6
71% Once Upon a Time: Season 3
100% Shameless: Season 04
48% Turn: Season 1
100% Veep: Season 3

Discuss Last Night's Shows

100% Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2
100% Orphan Black: Season 2

An American in Paris Reviews

Page 1 of 61
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

Super Reviewer

October 16, 2013
An American dancer/artist and piano player pursue Paris ladies with the help of a French singer.
Delightful and fun, as most classic film musicals are, An American in Paris features a wonderful score by the Gershwins and some truly great dance sequences by the legendary Gene Kelly. The plot is fairly basic, the one wrinkle being that the Parisian singer and the American are pursuing the same girl, but director Vincente Minnelli carries it at a solid, quick pace. It is nonetheless unfortunate that almost all Gene Kelly musicals contain an extended ballet sequence that does nothing to advance the plot; without this, as with Singing in the Rain, An American in Paris might have been a four-star film.
Overall, though it's largely insubstantial, this film is nevertheless fun to watch.
cosmo313
cosmo313

Super Reviewer

November 14, 2011
Using the music of George Gershwin as a foundation, Vincente Minnelli directs this Oscar winner about an American G.I. named Jerry living as an expat in Paris who, while trying to make a living as a painter, not only falls in love with Paris, but also with a young perfume shop clerk named Lise. Unfortunately, Lise is engaged, unbeknownst to Jerry. Not only that, but he's also unaware that a woman who has taken an interest in his work is actually more interested in him than his paintings.

Okay, so the story isn't all that impressive, and neither are the characters, but the film is still a success, if only because of the whole style over substance thing (in one of the cases where this is ultimately good instead of bad). With Gene Kelly in the lead, you know there's gonna be some great song and dance numbers, and this film doesn't disappoint. The crowining achievement here is the 17 minute ballet that makes up the film's climax: a real shostopper of a number set to the Gershwin piece the film is named after. In this one sequence alone, the audience is treated to a excellent narrative told through dance and music (but no words) that features soem excellent Impressionst style costumes and sets. It's a great moment, and the whole film could have been excellent had it all been like this.

It's not though, but I still kinda like it. The characters are likeable, even though not much is done to really develop them substantially or make you care about them immensenly. The perforamnces are at least decent. Kelly is of course terrific, and Leslie Caron does a good job in her film debut as Lise. Nina Foch is also good, but I could have used more of her.

All in all, a decent musical, but nothing tremednously special. It sure could have been, but it's not. I do like it though, and think that if you have an interest in any of the cast, the director, musicals, or Gershwin, then you'd do well to give it a watch...just don't expect it to be the Oscar masteriece it was hailed as being though.
Matheus C

Super Reviewer

August 9, 2011
Vincente Minnelli pode ser considerado um dos principais responsáveis por elevar o gênero de filme musical ao status de arte. Ainda que não seja a melhor de suas obras (estas são Agora Seremos Felizes e Gigi), Sinfonia de Paris impressionou o bastante na época a ponto de levar seis estatuetas na noite do Oscar, incluindo a de Melhor Filme.

Escrito por Alan Jay Lerner (mais tarde responsável por Gigi e My Fair Lady), o roteiro de Sinfonia de Paris não escapa do arquétipo padrão de musicais da Metro: como perfeitamente descrito por Frank Sinatra em Isto Era Hollywood, "garoto conhece garota, garoto perde garota, garoto canta e consegue a garota." Neste caso, o garoto é Jerry Mulligan (Gene Kelly), ex-soldado que agora se dedica à pintura na cidade das luzes. A garota é uma estreante Leslie Caron que, apesar de ter alcançado grande sucesso em outros filmes, aqui claramente demonstra não ter total consciência do que fazer quando não está dançando. O lado subversivo do romance é que, ao mesmo tempo em que vivem um affair, ambos vão para a cama de pessoas diferentes (ou assim subentende-se): ela para a de um cantor amigo de Jerry (Georges Guétary) e ele para a de uma mulher mais velha que patrocina sua arte (Nina Foch). Esta ruptura de caráter que faz do personagem de Kelly um semi-gigolô o torna mais interessante do que o tradicional "sujeito boa praça" interpretado pelo ator durante toda sua filmografia (e a decisão de vestir o bailarino em collants revela mais sobre o Minnelli do que pode ficar explícito na tela).

A história é, no entanto, apenas um pretexto para a apresentação de clássicas canções do vasto repertório de George Gershwin (incluindo "I Got Rhythm" e "S' Wonderful"). Os números musicais possuem uma série de predicados próprios, embaladas pela sempre criativa coreografia de Kelly e pelo fantástico tato na direção de arte de Minnelli. De fato, torna-se tão fácil se deixar seduzir pelo seu "cinema dos sonhos" (como definiram os críticos da Cahiers du Cinema) e acabar suprimindo as falhas narrativas do filme. Mas o que fez Sinfonia de Paris realmente conquistar seu lugar na história do cinema foram os frenéticos dezoito minutos finais: uma sequência única de balé onde o casal revive sua história de amor utilizando pinturas de consagrados artistas impressionistas franceses como cenário. É neste momento em que o perfeito casamento da arte de Kelly e de Minnelli criam algumas das mais belas imagens já capturadas em película. Se a cena final é apressada e obviamente calculada é porque o diretor sabia que nada conseguiria superar aqueles momentos. Melhor mesmo é se retirar enquanto se está no topo.
AJ V

Super Reviewer

September 5, 2010
The story wasn't all that bad until they decided to add silly song and dance numbers, which last over 10 minutes long. I was so annoyed with this movie.
flixsterman
flixsterman

Super Reviewer

January 7, 2009
Make no mistake about it, An American in Paris is all about the dance. Sure there are vocals and instrumentals and even a bit of a story, but it's all to support the high-stepping promenade. A real technicolor extravaganza.
Jeremy S

Super Reviewer

June 5, 2006
Best Picture Academy Award-winning film, with the unbelievably great dancer and signer Gene Kelly. A perfect showcase for dazzling scenes built around Gershwin's great score. With the great song 'I Got Rhythm'. Visually beautiful love story and the great ballet sequence, filmed in the style of Impressionist paintings, is legendary. Songs include "I Got Rhythm," "Embraceable You," "S'Wonderful," and the title song are the best.
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Super Reviewer

March 26, 2010
As far as musicals go, "An American in Paris" is a fairly enjoyable one, even if the long ballet sequence at the end feels tacked on. Leslie Caron is quite a stunningly attractive girl. It's a conventional plot involving a beautiful girl who falls in love with a dancing painter, but has committed herself to the older singing gentleman who helped her out during the war. Likewise, the dancing painter has been ensnared by an art-loving sponsor who seems just as interested in his body as she does in his body of work. Did I mention Leslie Caron is a knockout? Gene Kelly is his typically graceful and talented self as well and Gene Kelly fans should be very pleased with the film. But the movie pushes it's nearly 2 hour running time to the limit and could've used some judicious editing. I enjoyed the "french" atmosphere, but I can't recall any of the songs (a problem I don't have with director vincente Minnelli's later film, "Gigi"). Personally, I found Kelly's performance as a tortured artist to be less convincing than some of his other roles. This film won the academy award for best picture.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

Super Reviewer

January 26, 2007
without question one of my favorite musicals of all time. kelly is the greatest musical actor and despite the greatness of singin in the rain i think this is his best movie. laslie caron is one of the most beautiful women ive ever seen on screen and the music, acting, locations, and story are all perfect. the only thing holding this entire film back from perfection is an ending that misses the more romantic climax for the sake of being "neat", but overall this is a classic and must see for fans of film.
jjnxn
jjnxn

Super Reviewer

August 6, 2007
The final ballet is indeed impressive, Oscar Levant lends his trademark goofy charm and Leslie Caron exudes gamine charm but the base story is trite and its somewhat difficult to see why this is so revered.
Cindy I

Super Reviewer

May 2, 2007
A musical for people who don't like musicals. My problem with musicals is how I hate for people to just burst out in song for no reason. What I like about this film is that every musical break relates to the plot of the film. It doesn't necessarily advance the story, but at least it makes sense. Gene Kelly is tremendous as always, but Leslie Caron shines in her first movie role.
Jennifer X

Super Reviewer

July 8, 2007
This is grrreat! Leslie Caron proves to be the only person able to keep up with Gene Kelly's MAD dancing.
Apeneck F

Super Reviewer

July 9, 2007
again with the tryin' too hard, mr. kelly...but sometimes to stunning effect in this celestial effort to give the yokels more than what they asked for and to get into the history books as well
Michael G

Super Reviewer

November 5, 2006
Not bad, but not great. The warbling Frenchman killed it for me.
Leigh R

Super Reviewer

October 17, 2006
Didn't intrigue me like I thought it would.
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

Super Reviewer

May 2, 2012
In an age when references to Mars are dropped from movie titles and Greedo shoots first it's hard to believe there was a time when Hollywood didn't fear it's audience. At the time this was made, cinemagoers were led by Hollywood, today it's quite the opposite. Take the central character Jerry Mulligan as played by Kelly. On paper he's quite unlikable, one of those movie characters you would despise if you encountered in real life. He's basically a wastrel, living off the goodwill of his friends while attempting to bed their girlfriends. His treatment of "older" woman Foch, his sole benefactor and supporter of his art, is quite cruel. (I say "older" as Foch was actually ten years younger than her male lead at the time.) But in the movies we are so often seduced by the bad guy and Kelly oozes badass charisma. Despite him being a bit of a dick we can't help root for him in his attempts to make Caron a little less wide eyed and innocent.

As is to be expected the movie is full of bright and breezy dance numbers but there's a darkness in it's heart. Levant's character is so gloomily pensive it's hard not to imagine him found hanged in his dingy Parisian apartment soon after the events of the movie. Likewise Foch, a rich American who finds she has plenty of money but few friends. Even the innocent and toothy Caron seems on the cusp of going all "Betty Blue" on Kelly. Strangely for an American film, the most likable character is a Frenchman, Guetary, the only character who really seems at ease with life.
The music and lyrics are famously by the Gershwin brothers (though not composed specifically for the movie) and include such memorable standards as "Our Love is Here to Stay", "I Got Rhythm" and "S'Wonderful". The lyric free closing number is a stunning mix of twentieth century American show tune and late nineteenth century Russian ballet.
If a modern director wanted to end his film with a dialogue free twenty minutes the producers would have a fit. In 1951 audiences sensibilities hadn't been ruined by TV yet and so this was quite acceptable. The plot is put aside for a hypnotically lit and wildly choreographed production, full of surrealistic imagery and kinetic camerawork. This was the first color film to win an Oscar since "Gone With The Wind", and what color! It's hard to believe this wasn't photographed by the same DP responsible for "The Band Wagon", but in the studio system technicians were talented enough to be interchangeable. A director of Minnelli's vision could adapt any cinematographer to his vision.
Kelly wanted this to be actually filmed in Paris but thankfully Minnelli got his way and shot it completely on the backlot. Had it been shot on location I don't think it would be half the movie as the director's magic realism sensibility would have been compromised. It's not so easy to stage complex dance numbers in the cramped streets of a European city.
If you want an accomplished yet fun feast of film-making with a melancholy undertow this is well worth your time. S'wonderful!
neumdaddy
neumdaddy

Super Reviewer

November 18, 2004
[b]Obscurity is the refuge of the incompetent.[/b] - [color=DarkOliveGreen]Robert Heinlein[/color]

[b]My mind to me a kingdom is,
Such present joys therein I find,
That it excels all other bliss
That earth affords or grows by kind:
Though much I want though most would have,
Yet still my mind forbids to crave.[/b]
- [color=RoyalBlue]Sir Edward Dwyer[/color]

[b]I find a little giggle-gas before I begin gives me immense pleasure.[/b] -[color=SandyBrown] Orin Scrivello[/color]

[b]Many times I've lied, many times I've listened
Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.[/b] - [color=Gray]Robert Plant[/color]

[b]I told myself I'd make an entry about my Halloween costume, but that sort of never materialized. Perhaps I'll resurrect that endeavor, seeing as how my journal is collecting stale fingerprints from users shuffling past it to all the other updates in this asylum. Maybe later tonight I'll update? Yeah, no. Also, this is the best quote you've ever read.[/b] [b]I'll quote myself to prove it. Yeah. No. [/b]- [color=Green]Neum Daddy/Neumthor/NeumDagger/Neumorado Sexington/Somebody Else[/color][b]

Perhaps, if I am lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.[/b] - Jack Handey[color=Red]
[/color][b]
Intelligence recognizes what has happened. Genius recognizes what will happen.[/b] - [color=Red]John Ciardi[/color]

[b]You know, if I were to die right now, in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend...well, that would just be ok.[/b] - [color=YellowGreen]Spongebob Squarepants

[/color] [b]The problem with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.[/b] - [color=Red]Bertrand Russell[/color]

[b]I've finally found someone I can love - a good, clean love...without utensils.[/b] - [color=DeepSkyBlue]Frank Drebin[/color]

[b]The vision and the faculty divine;
Yet wanting the accomplishment of verse.[/b] - [color=Sienna]William Wordsworth[/color]

[b]It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black. [/b]- [color=DarkSlateGray]...uh, modern proverb?[/color]

[b]Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is.[/b] - Vince Lombardi

[b]Art is dangerous. It is one of the attractions. When it ceases to be dangerous, you don't want it.[/b] -[color=Navy] Duke Ellington[/color]

[b]We ask for strength and you give us difficulties which make us strong;
We ask for wisdom and you send us problems, the solutions of which develop wisdom;
We plead for prosperity and you give us a brain and brawn to work;
We plead for courage and you give us dangers to overcome.
We ask favors and you give us opportunities;
Therefore, Great Spirit, we ask you bless us and assist us according to thy will.[/b] - [color=DarkOrange]Unknown[/color]
John B

Super Reviewer

July 21, 2007
Many of the musicals of the 50s started flowing into one another so I had to really think about how this film is different than Gigi or another Leslie Caron film. Its cute no doubt but certainly not profound. I still find Gene Kelly's meaningless routine just before the film's conclusion to be a little puzzling. Did the filming time run short??
Alec B

Super Reviewer

February 23, 2013
Its so beautifully free-form in its execution that its impossible not to fall in love with every moment. The fantasy ballet at the finale is brilliant.
Stephen E

Super Reviewer

January 26, 2013
"An American in Paris" is the romantic-comedy blockbuster done right. Filled with fantastical set and costume design, splendid cinematography, catchy George Gershwin tunes and a fabulously-choreographed finale, it's such so enjoyable and lighthearted that you can't help but fall in love with it. Sure, there are problems aplenty with the script, but you don't notice those until the credits start to roll. When it comes down to it, "An American in Paris" is wonderful, whimsical escapism. You could have all the problems in the world, but you just sit down and turn this on, and for nearly two hours, they'd just disappear.
Over the Rising Sun
Over the Rising Sun

Super Reviewer

July 28, 2010
Gene Kelly is the man! He's awesome! I mean sure he doesn't show much emotion but that aside he completely fits into his stereotypical obnoxious American "Jack Mulligan". This is a colorful, extravagant, classic Hollywood musical with catchy tunes and choreography (though both are very unnecessary seeing as they don't relate to the story at all, most of all at the end which is a twenty minute dance-fantasy that doesn't make any sense whatsoever).

Should this have won Best Picture: I'm not sure... it is very adult and the lavish production costs are put to good use; but I have to see what other films were nominated.... A Streetcar Named Desire- yeah, yup, screw this, Streetcar should have definitely won. 96/100
Page 1 of 61
Find us on:                 
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile