The American President - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The American President Reviews

June 17, 2012
This is a very good romantic dramedy. Douglas and Bening put on fine performances and display great chemistry. It is Sorkin's screenplay, however, that makes the movie great. Sorkin does a great job every time he picks up a pen, and this is no exception.
movieguru12
December 1, 2008
From the moment that Douglas & Bening meet in the oval office you know that this is going to be a movie that you'll want to watch over & over again to watch the romance, Sheen & Douglas at their best & Michael J. Fox as Douglas's annoying partner that you love. I'm so happy that I finally got to watch this movie!!! :) I love it! :) A must see! :) One of the greatest films of all-time! :) :) :) :)
½ July 1, 2007
Netflix said I'd give it 5 stars...They almost got it right.
TomBowler
July 14, 2010
A funny and tender romance movie with a cracking script from Aaron Sorkin. Full review later.
October 7, 2007
A decent but flawed and overrated look on the idea of a widower President trying his chances at love while he's still in office during the start of his re-election campaign. While Douglas and Bening are both very, very good, the movie is completely undermined by a weak and artificial last ten minutes that rely on melodrama and a cheesy, unfinished ending to help the viewer feel at ease with everything. A good idea, and fairly well executed and casted by Reiner, but I just wish he resolved the whole re-election campaign a lot of the movie was structured around.
Chiefilms
½ June 17, 2009
Romance/Drama/Comedy with a great cast, Douglas and Sheen running the country, looking good like Rob Reiner on a diet.
thmtsang
½ July 14, 2007
Sweet movie about the President finding a date. Good cast.
½ December 21, 2008
#1 The American President
President Shepherd (Douglas), a widower with a precocious daughter, is immensely popular, carrying a 63 percent approval rating that may be too high for modern political observers to imagine. But it takes the love of a good woman, lobbyist Sydney Wade (Annette Bening), to transform Shepherd from a deal-maker into a truly principled leader.
President Speak: "The idea of physical intimacy is uncomfortable because you only know me as the President. But it's not always going to be that way!"
FilmFanatik
April 26, 2007
Great romantic film.
sainttom93
July 15, 2007
A truly enjoyable movie --
½ June 5, 2007
I really liked this one. Douglas pulls off the role perfectly that you can really see this happening in real life.
jjnxn
April 1, 2007
ordinary
garyX
½ February 6, 2007
What could possibly be more entertaining than a rom-com starring Michael Douglas? Why a rom-com starring Michael Douglas about right wing politics of course!
½ January 23, 2007
A smart rom-com that, though not entirely realistic, manages to present an original premise without being too far out.
November 7, 2006
Although it took me five years to watch it (because I kept falling asleep), it was a remarkable film.
Cameron W. Johnson
August 18, 2013
I'm sorry, but when I see this film's title, and that Rob Reiner directed the thing, I just can't help but think of "The Princess Bride", or at least something like "When the President Met Sally..." Okay, that "When Harry Met Sally..." thing was a serious stretch, but the point is that if you think Reiner is all that diverse of a filmmaker, when he's not making a legal drama or coming-of-age film, he's making a delightful film about an unlikely romance, and I emphasize, "delightful" when describing an unlikely love story like this because there isn't a scene where Annette Bening's character stashes the President away in a log cabin and breaks his ankles. So yeah, as that "Misery" reference will tell you, my attempts at jokingly associating this film with other efforts by Reiner aren't getting any less stretchy, but let me tell you that I'm hardly making a stretch when I say that this film didn't make it four years without getting kind of awkward. Seriously, it's about a scandal involving a fictional US president, and you know that in 1998, there were some people who associated this film with Bill Clinton, another a scandalous president, and one who you kind of wish was fictional. Speaking of strange similarities, I can't really shake the feeling that they made this film partially to prove that Michael Douglas and Martin Sheen are not the same person, which would be kind of ironic, because in retrospect, this film isn't exactly proving to me that Annette Bening from the '90s to today and a particularly young Annette Bening are the same person. Man, she was kind of cute back in the day, but man, these past couple of years, or at least those stupid glasses, have not been good to her. Oh well, I reckon he's always had a pretty good taste in films, as this nice little '90s flick proves, but not without taking some scratches along the way.

Needless to say, there's something distinctly unique about this film which deals with a regular woman beginning a romantic relationship with a fictionalized US president while he's simultaneously working to run a country, but within that refreshing broad premise are plotting details that are not so fresh, hitting more than a few '90s rom-com tropes hard enough to take on some histrionics that would be easier to swallow if the superficial fluff wasn't sometimes jarringly broken up by some kind of a political sharpness. There's a bit of unevenness to this film's thematic weight, which dances between fluffy and politically heavy so jarringly that, while your average audience member isn't likely to be thrown off to the point of being totally repelled from the film, it gets to be kind of difficult to fully figure out just who in the world is being targeted by this film. I suppose the thematic inconsistency isn't as off-putting as I make it sound, but it's still more disconcerting than the pacing unevenness, which is, of course, not too much of a problem, but still noticeable, as the film will dance between rushed to the point of thinning out expository depth that could have fleshed the uniqueness of this story and its characters more, and steady to the point of being kind of repetitious. The film is a little bit uneven, and such inconsistency in theme and momentum is bound to throw off some people, but really, if you think that I'm all but stretching to find particularly notable shortcomings in this film, well, you're right. There really aren't that many errors in storytelling, and what errors it makes, such as the inconsistencies, are hardly glaring, so what threatens this film the most is, of course, its lacking meat, because as intriguing and competently done as this film is, at the end of the day, it's not too much more than a relatively outstanding fluff piece, something that can never be all that outstanding. The film ultimately rewards pretty surely, but such reward value comes from a lot of effort, because there are some serious limitations in weight, and that, alongside conventional areas an inconsistencies, is enough for the final product to run the risk of collapse into underwhelmingness. Of course, like I said, reward value is achieved quite surely, as the film powers through its shortcomings enough to stand out as pretty endearing more often than not, or at least turn in some strengths that aren't necessarily outstanding, but still commendable.

Marc Shaiman earned an Oscar nomination for his score for this film, and really, I can't really see, or rather, hear why, as Shaiman's efforts are unevenly used, formulaic and lacking in kick, though that's not to say that I can't still give Shaiman's score quite a deal of compliment, as there is a warmth to it that may make the more overly fluffy moments feel kind of overblown, but just as often help greatly in livening things up, though not quite like Aaron Sorkin. "The West Wing" was not yet unveiled to the world by 1995, so it was through this film when Sorkin showed audiences everywhere that he knows a thing or two about sharp political entertainment, and boy, did he deliver, because if nothing else is sharp about this film, it's Soarkin's script, which has its conventional bits, and cannot completely overshadow natural shortcomings, but whose more political aspects are about as intelligent and intricately approached as they can be by a liberal writer, and whose more fluffy aspects are brought to life by excellent dialogue and colorful characterization that really flavor things up. This film is pretty smart, and that really gets the final product going a relatively long way, yet no matter how sharp Sorkin's efforts are, what can make or break the reward value of a film this fluffy is the sharpness of the directorial execution of a sharp script. Rob Reiner does what he does best with this film: taking a very steady approach to storytelling, which can mean some serious blandness, but can also mean endearing the thoughtfulness, something that is achieved more often than not by Reiner's almost subtle tastes as director, resulting in a light atmospheric color that subtly draws quite a bit of entertainment value, and even proves to be kind of touching at times. If nothing else, Reiner's subtly flavorful atmosphere endears as thoroughly charming, and while that, alone, isn't going to be enough to secure reward value, the color within Reiner's ambitious efforts, combined with the color of Sorkin's ambitious efforts, ignite as serious sharpness that you see only so often in films of this type, resulting in a surprising reward value that is ultimately finalized, not by the offscreen talent, but the onscreen talent. We're looking at fictional figures within a fluff piece, so, of course, the performers aren't being asked to transform into anyone or deliver on all that much of the dramatic range they're known for doing so well, but most every member of this remarkably star-studded cast delivers, with leading man Michael Douglas particularly standing out with an electric charisma, augmented when Douglas and Annette Bening hit the scene together, sharing static chemistry between them that sells the romance which anchors this film. Douglas' and Bening's charm, alone, powers much of the enjoyment value of the final product, but our leads are not the only endearing aspects here, as there is enough sharpness to writing and direction to bypass potential underwhelmingness and ultimately drive the final product to an unexpectedly rewarding point.

When it's time to resign, the film leaves behind enough conventionalism, thematic and pacing unevenness, and natural shortcomings to drive a lesser fluff piece into underwhelmingness, but through warm score work by Marc Shaiman, an intelligent and delightfully snappy script by Aaron Sorkin, endearingly thoughtful storytelling by Rob Reiner, and electric charisma and chemistry between leads Michael Douglas and Annette Bening, "The American Product" doesn't simply charm, but compels enough to reward as a thoroughly entertaining and pretty sharp affair.

3/5 - Good
xxdebxx
½ May 19, 2010
There's no question that this movie pushes all the right buttons. It is very cute and plays on your emotions. In spite of the fairly predictable plot (yes, the president now has a girlfriend), you can't help but like it.

As the story plays out, we see just how hard it would be for a single president to get to know a woman romantically. The media crush, as well as the security concerns would be tough to overcome. President Shepherd (Michael Douglas) is also hog-tied by the fact that the environmental legislation Ms. Sydney Wade (Annette Bening) wants him to sign is having trouble making it through congress. He is forced to make a choice. Dump the environmental legislation and pass a crime bill, or push his girlfriend's legislation and have it likely go down as a political failure. Tough call! Most guys only have to figure out how not to spend time with their girlfriend's family or things like that.

Michael Douglas and Annette Bening shine in the lead roles, and the supporting actors (Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, David Paymer and the others) are outstanding.

Hilarious moment...watching the president of the United States ordering flowers for his date.
Critique Threatt
½ September 2, 2010
This is a great film by Rob Reiner. "The American President" has romance, drama, comedy, it's political but not so heavy handed. Written by Aarob Sorkin who also would create and write for the television show "The West Wing" and Mike Nichols picture "Charlie Wilson's war". Michael Douglas gives a solid performance as the US president Andrew Shepherd, other great supporting roles from Annette Bening, Martin Sheen, Michael J. Fox, Anna Deavere Smith, Samantha Mathis, Shawna Waldron, David Paymer, and Richard Dreyfuss.
April 28, 2008
It has some very cute moments but just thought it was okay.
weelee18