American Samurai Reviews

deano
March 20, 2007
Good samurai fight between David Bradley and Mark Dacascos, who plays villian and tries to seem Japanese in a violent tournament to the death.
January 18, 2015
He sees with the eye of the mind.

An American reporter who is a trained samurai and martial arts expert enters a fighting tournament to report/exposed an underground mafia. The tournament also includes his lifelong foe and adopted brother. His brother is the tournament's most likely winner. The tournament will obviously battle down through intense fights until an eventual brother showdown in the finale.

"You have disgraced our family."

Sam Firstenberg, director of Cyborg Cop 1 & 2, Criss Cross, The Alternate, American Ninja 1 & 2, Delta Force 3, and Blood Warriors, delivers American Samurai. The storyline for this is fairly putrid and delivered in a USA Channel Movie kind of way. It felt very clumsy and the cast delivered shaky performances. The cast includes Mark Dacoscos, John Fujioka, Koby Azarly, Valerie Trapp, and David Bradley.

"One day I will come for my sword."

I came across this film while flicking through cable channels on either the Cinemax or Showtime extreme channels (I can't remember). I decided to DVR the next showing and give it a viewing when I was in the mood for a grindhouse genre picture. This film was painful to get through and did remind me of American Ninja. It's a step down from Chuck Norris films from this era.

"Why couldn't we have just been brothers?"

Grade: F
February 6, 2014
This movie was obviously a pretty cheap effort and it shows in quite a few ways. The plot is ordinary and most of it is predictable. However, I really enjoyed this movie! For all the faults, it captured the essence of Zen Buddhism as it relates to the martial arts, and the atmosphere created by the fight scenes is spot on. The music really complements the movie. OK, it is corny, but is still really gets the message across.
½ June 14, 2011
Sadly, same "American" problem as Last Samurai. Still, good fights all in itself though.
October 14, 2010