American Yakuza - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

American Yakuza Reviews

nickymo89
½ June 26, 2008
A ok low budget action movie.
½ March 23, 2016
Whatever it takes to stay in there...

An American undercover agent is asked to infiltrate the Japanese Yakuza in the United States, earn their trust, and help bring them down. He falls in love with the boss' daughter and wants to keep her safe while bringing down the father. Meanwhile, the father and opposition put the officer in tough decisions to prove his loyalty.

"An American being accepted into the family doesn't happen every day."

Frank Capello, director of No Way Back and He was Quiet a Man, delivers American Yakuza in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture is mediocre and disappointing. The action is below average and the acting is also mediocre. The cast includes Viggo Mortensen, Michael Nouri, Franklyn Ajaye, Robert Forster, and Ryo Ishibashi.

"Death does not frighten you?"
"No. Not if it's for the right reason."

I came across this on Showtime Anytime and had to watch this old Mortensen film. I found this painfully bad, cliché, and poorly written. This was a horrible movie and not worth your time.

"Words are overrated."

Grade: D
½ February 18, 2010
lol Viggo... i was really surprised at the end when he finally spoke Japanese :-) overall it wasn't too bad of a movie, but the stereotypes did not add much character to the characters themselves... but for a 1995 movie about the international mafias it was pretty good for not doing much gore
½ June 20, 2007
I enjoyed this movie a bit, thought it had a pretty good story and enjoyed the acting from both Viggo Mortensen and Ryo Ishibashi. Pretty good movie...
April 20, 2016
Gotta love early 90's films. Other than being outdated, this was interesting somewhat engaging.
½ March 23, 2016
Whatever it takes to stay in there...

"An American being accepted into the family doesn't happen every day."

"Death does not frighten you?"
"No. Not if it's for the right reason."

"Words are overrated."

Grade: D
February 1, 2015
I enjoyed this movie
November 7, 2014
I can't approve of any movie that makes mobsters of any nationality look honorable and heroic. They all prey on society and will commit any crime to make money. Hmmmm. What makes this different from corporate America?
April 23, 2011
bloody war worth a watch.
½ February 27, 2011
I didn't like that part that everyone has to die...
February 24, 2011
I will like to watch the movie before rating
February 20, 2011
Awesome action, Great acting, Good Storyline.
lower budget film that is Great!
½ February 28, 2007
An amature, gimmicky and painfully overwritten script with the campiest directing style and a whole mish mash of bad acting. Worst of all is the intrusive and overly dramatic score playing over almost every minute of the movie and the constant fading transitions. As a die hard Viggo fan, I can only take comfort in the fact that most mainstream audiences will never see this movie.
November 27, 2010
Tavallinen ysaritoiminta jokseenkin eksoottisella aiheella ja typeralla ilmiselvalla nimella, viggo leukoineen vasta reenailee parempia rooleja varten, japsien yakuza meininki ja kulttuurin "kiehtovuus" ei oikein vality ruudulle, halpaa skeidaa...
½ July 7, 2007
Probably one of the best B-movies ever made in Hollywood, and in my opinion one of the few "yellow fever" movies that displays an understanding of Eastern philosophy and sentiments about loyalty, honour and the sacrality of love. There is a great, great scene where Viggo Mortensen's character "tips over" from the "good side" to the "bad side" - a hitman has butchered his Japanese wife and Viggo holds him out over an edge in his tie - while stretching his neck to see if his bleeding wife may still be alive... She is not...
October 23, 2010
A well made b-movie which has impressive action scenes, great performances, unique camera shots and good music. It's more than just a run of the mill action movie as it has an intriguing plot. Viggo Mortensen makes for a decent hero, he plays things low key and cool and keeps the audience on his side. Ryo Ishibashi is perhaps the most entertaining performance, mainly because its so great to see a classic style Yakuza performance in a movie from the West. Robert Forster is underused as Mortensen's boss, while Michael Nouri does good work as the mob leader. This is definitely an appealing movie and far better than most of this sort of fare, it just isn't quite hard hitting or innovative enough. Still, worth a look for action fans or fans of the main stars.
October 23, 2010
½ July 23, 2010
I was suprised over how much I liked it. I had expected ok acting, so-so story and bad action. But the action/violence/deaths was good, the acting really good and the story just got better and better. So thumbs up!
½ February 18, 2010