Americathon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Americathon Reviews

July 29, 2007
I haven't seen this movie since it was originally released (I had the soundtrack on 8-Track!), but it had an all-star cast, a political satire about the country holding a telethon because it was going broke, and one of the more bizarre but cool actors I've ever seen, Zane Busby. Please release this movie on DVD!!!
June 8, 2014
Not quite as bad as its reputation, but pretty damn bad. I laughed out loud a few times, but mostly I was bored. A great idea destroyed mostly by clumsy direction. A miss for sure.
½ June 10, 2012
I watched this movie with so much expectations. Boy did this movie crush and mutilate those expectations. The Beach Boys song at the beginning I'll admit was pretty good, but the rest of the presentation is very high on camp. The characters are nothing too special. It tries to be a political satire, but the only thing I laughed at was how bad it turned out. I don't hate it, but it's overwhelmingly mediocre.
½ June 28, 2010
What happens when a bankrupt America finally faces foreclosure from the world wealthiest man? Why hold a nationwide telethon of course!

A typical 70's ensemble cast acts out a script that is Sardonic, Shallow and actually funnier now than it was at the time of it's release due to the casting and how the actors careers turned out. This flick is definitely personality driven to the point near Shatnerian in it's seeming denial (or Obliviousness) of the absurdity of the script or story.

Strong points include (some spoilers);

John Ritter as the President of the United States. Probably seemed like a strong lead then as he was still a newcomer to acting and mostly known for "Three's Company". Hysterical in hindsight as he found his niche (post Wholly Moses) playing Clueless, overly passive but well meaning father figures. (see; Problem Child series, 8 simple Rules and real Men).

Meat Loaf in a cameo battles the last running car in the world.

The Telethon is a stinking failure until somebody shoots the MC, A truly narcissistic ass played to perfection by Harvey Korman. After America responds with donations to the Bleeding Korman, crew members note "If I had know America wanted to see [Korman] shot, I would have done it days ago."

A supposed sexy scene with Ritter and a Korean Punk superstar in what might be the least sexy 30 seconds ever on film.

If you are a fan of "bad movies" such as the "Big Bus", bring this forgotten gem to your next group viewing. It will probably get you declared King of the Hill.