• R, 1 hr. 35 min.

Amityville 1992: It's About Time Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 16, 2012
Painful exercise in delivering supernatural haunted house chills; this entry focuses on an evil clock and really doesn't satisfy. In the end, what can you expect from a series that lacks effective creative integrity in the sense that they are unable to deliver a good entry in a series that never should have taken place. Don't look for anything to catch your eye with this one, as it will bore you like every other entry that has been made since the original feature. This is a poorly constructed affair that doesn't satisfy genre fans looking for effective chills or a good haunted house picture that can actually make you sleepless for a few nights on end. This one doesn't have anything interesting going on on-screen, and the cast is pretty bad aided by bad directing and poorly constructed moments that are supposed to induce chills. This is a bad film like all the others and it is clear that the filmmakers clearly didn't care about the end result as long as they made money off their poorly executed haunted house film. If you've seen the previous entries in the franchise, expect to be let down with this one as it offers nothing new to the franchise, it's all the same old uninspired garbage that doesn't have any redeeming factors whatsoever. Creativity is at its lowest form, and sequels would still pop up as the studio seeks to deliver cheap after cheap sequel to try and cash in on the original. Again, this one fails to thrill and disappoints big time. Amityville: It's About Time is an awful horror film that is a pain to watch and really doesn't offer genre fans anything refreshing, new or exciting aside from sheer disappointment.
Anthony L

October 10, 2011
It's about time....they made a decent Amityville film, boom boom! I'm sure I'm not the first person to have said/thought that while watching the franchise. Adding the time-travel element to the series could have widened the possibilities endlessly, but alas, there still doesn't seem to be a person working on an Amityville film with an ounce of originality. The biggest wasted opportunity of the franchise.
Cassandra M

December 14, 2009
Okay I admit it. The Amityville movies are definitely one of my guilty pleasures in life- but hey everyone has a vice right? I just genuinely get excited before I'm about to see another, and so far (with the exception of the incoherent snooze-fest that is Amityville 3/ 3-D) they've all been pretty entertaining.

So they aren't highly polished works of art, the standard of acting is variable to say the least, and the series did very quickly descend to made for TV/ straight to video territory. But I find the films to be a lot of fun, and considering the sheer number of sequels (seven and a remake to date) for the most part each film does manage to bring something new to the series, and considering the original concept of a haunted house doesn't lend much in the way of creative flexibility, it has been fun to watch the different ways in which the subject matter is approached.

Amityville 1992 : It's About Time (or simply Amityville: It's About Time as it is known on DVD) continues the theme of items from the original Amityville house ending up in new households, only to wreak havoc, as introduced in Amityville: The Evil Escapes. In this case it is an antique clock, which the audience will discover has a history of its own. However, rather than go for the obvious "and then things get thrown around the house and the walls bleed route" the writers have decided to play with the theme of time- we see glimpses of the past, time slows down and speeds up, and events are undone. Yes the premise of course is ultimately silly- time warps don't fit comfortably with Amityville lore, but it does make for a nice twist in the saga.

I liked the fact that characters were flawed also- our heroine Lisa (played convincingly by Megan Ward is introduced to us as a woman who is cheating on her psychiatrist boyfriend with an ex she knows she shouldn't get involved with/ Okay it's not groundbreaking stuff, but for the genre of horror it's a nice move away from the virginal stereotypical protagonist. In many other horror films she wouldn't be the female lead, she'd be the prime victim.

Expect some unintentionally hilarious dialogue, one of the charms of the Amityville horror movies, and look out for an interesting death scene which reminds me of the Final Destination films- you think you've escaped death by oh no you haven't. In fact it's delivered with (I hope) a real tongue in cheek sense of humour- you'll know what I mean when you see how the poor character is finished off! So to summarise- silly fun that's certainly worth renting. If you've seen the other sequels you'll know what to expect- it won't make for high brow film discussion, but it'll entertain for a couple of hours, and make you laugh a couple of times too.
April 24, 2012
For some inexplicable reason, I enjoyed this film much more than its two predecessors in the series. Stupid but enjoyable, I found the film to be the most entertaining since the second film, which isn't really saying much. Its attempt at a twist ending is a bit cliched, but I found it amusing nonetheless. Your expectations can't be too high when the film has the year of its release as part of the title.
toonami2280
January 24, 2009
this movie made very little since.the only 2 movies in this series that are good are the original and the ramake the rest sucked and made no since at all.
January 1, 2014
Surprisingly an improvement over the other amityville sequels, but this still has nothing to do with the murders and the haunting. It's just insane how they can ignore such a story and continue with nonsense.
August 2, 2013
A pretty decent horror flick shoehorned into the Amityville series. It's nothing special, but if you like stuff along the lines of Full Moon's output, this fits pretty snugly into that niche.
November 1, 2012
This movie is unlike any Amityville movie I've ever seen. It's cheesy but stays entertaining the entire time. I like this as much as the first 2 but it is way different. If you don't go into this looking for a continuation of the Amityville story it can be quite entertaining.
February 27, 2012
Not great but it was watchable until the dreaded ending.