Angels and Insects Reviews

February 14, 2010
Not a movie I would recommend, but if you have nothing to do on a saturday evening and it's on TV.. Why not?
(The dresses are hideous).
October 4, 2008
Beautiful scenery of the English countryside, a captivating young woman with a dark secret, an innocent young man captivated by the trappings of wealth and "proper" society all come together in this terrific film. The plot is amply described here and elsewhere, so I won't bore you with the details. Patsy Kensit is radiant as the beautiful, cosseted elder sister Eugenia, who harbors a secret addiction that nearly destroys the man who at one time worshiped her great beauty and thought himself unworthy of her affections. Kristen Scott Thomas quietly simmered as the intelligent, artistically talented children's tutor, Matty, who is mainly unnoticed within the household, but whose finely honed powers of observation serve her well. Mark Rylance turned in a carefully nuanced performance as the young biologist, William Adamson, who finds himself the beneficiary of the Alabaster family's largess and blissfully marries Eugenia, only to discover the deception that has been played out under his nose. And Douglas Henshall is perfect as a loutish brute, Eugenia's brother, Edgar. Edgar fancies himself as the pinnacle of human breeding and is quite concerned with maintaining the purity of the bloodlines of his horses and of his family. He is also a man ruled by his passions who satisfies his desires whenever and wherever it pleases him and has nothing but contempt for his ill-bred brother-in-law. The characters are fully fleshed by the script, the passion on screen is palpable, and the conflicts within the household simmer and bubble just below the surface. In that way, it is much like an ant colony, the study of which forms the focal point of the story and becomes the way out for young William and for Matty as well. Matty at one point refers to the members of the household who are invisible to the main inhabitants but nonetheless wield enormous power because of their anonymity. The house decides what is revealed and what is to remain hidden.
July 21, 2007
Ha ha! Those who are looking for a pure period piece are in for a big shock when the sexy parts come into play. I asked a woman out to see this and she looked at me in a weird way. I must have come across as being a perv to her. Anyways, I did see the film later and thought it was brilliant. Not a good first date film but brilliant.
August 17, 2009
Interesting and engaging comparison of Victorian society to that of the insect kingdom. Rylance is good as the shy protagonist and you may guess the payoff but only b/c you are jaded and disturbed.
½ February 20, 2007
SO bizarre and dreamy I had to love this movie. Kristin Scott Thomas is always excellent and Patsy Kensit is a classic "David Lynchian" type character in this movie...
February 16, 2007
Not worth it, not even for the infamous scene of coitus interruptus which reveals... well, what one would expect in such a situation.
½ January 14, 2007
Interwoven stories combined with beautiful artistry keeps this one on my list. Butterflies...I'll never look at them in the same light again.
August 17, 2015
"Ángeles e Insectos" es un drama de época dirigido a un público adulto y maduro (algo muy raro en el cine contemporáneo) acerca de un naturalista (Mark Rylance) que cae en las redes de una adorable y atractiva hija de una familia acomodada (Patsy Kensit). La premisa de esta cinta, basada en la novela "Morpho Eugenia" de A.S. Byatt, es la de mostrarnos cómo el orden social de los insectos dista mucho del de los humanos. Kristin Scott-Thomas, como es costumbre, nos entrega una soberbia actuación en un papel secundario.
½ August 10, 2007
½ January 17, 2010
full frontal nudity. Excellent adaptation from Byatt's novel.
June 11, 2010

A sophisticated drama set in Victorian England at a time when Darwin's theory of evolution by natural selection first became a hot button topic among the people. The story explores how and to what extent these cutting edge scientific ideas were of interest and concern to the upper echelons of society by taking a close look at the lives of one exceedingly wealthy family. On the surface they seem quite open-minded to the notion of social evolution, but then again perhaps not. It is for the eldest son and heir to the vast family fortune to take matters into his own hands when he realizes that their privileged lifestyle is up for grabs by his new brother-in-law, a low-life intellectual of no monetary means nor social standing of his own to speak of, who is at the forefront touting the merits of these questionable notions. Credible acting.
½ March 14, 2006
Watched: 10/8/05
So what!! I found this slightly boring.