Animalympics - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Animalympics Reviews

August 28, 2013
Although it's got its moments of funny political incorrectness, the film is ultimately targeted at a very very young audience and it's unlikely anyone but them (or the nostalgic) will find much to enjoy in it.
February 19, 2009
The spirit (and individual sports) of the olympic games get charmingly anthropomorphized in this strange but entertaining mock-newscast coverage of the "Animalympic Games". Alligators, otters, lions, penguins and other critters take their shots at glory, with the humor often simply revolving around watching how, say, a flamingo would handle herself on a pair of ice skates. There are some digs at the cheesiness of tv sports coverage, and also the shallowness of the modern sporting industry itself, but mainly director Steven Lisberger (he went on to do "Tron") and company are content to mine slapstick laughs out of gags like a squadron of squids trying to cope with a runaway bobsled. Its lack of a cohesive storyline (there are few 'main' characters, and only occasional glimmers of any recurring plot arcs) may keep you from really immersing yourself in the movie, but it also keeps things breezy, light, and above all, fun. Special mention should be made of Graham Gouldman's outstanding original songs and music, which sparkle with both bouncy charm and lyrical poignancy.
February 28, 2008
One of those movies that the old, commercial-free Disney Channel used to show once a month, I found it for the first time in probably 12 years on Comcast's free On Demand movies and so I popped it on, figuring it would be fun to see again for an hour fifteen. What I got was a movie that doesn't have a real plot to it, so it's a big shift from the typical Disney stuff that features a nauseatingly familiar hero's journey. Here, the story is an animal olympic games, just as the title suggests, with a plethora of little events and brief introductions to characters. While the film doesn't create big attachment with any characters beside Rene Formage and Kit Mambo, two rival runners who fall in love during a marathon and lead the movie's only major deviation from Animal! Humor! entertainment, the overwhelming film reinforces sportsmanship (such as the New York gator giving his second medal to his competition) and respect (such as the boar who meets his match fencing when a eagle shows up). The voice cast does a great job, particularly Shearer and Radner, who each do a billion voices and convey a range of characters. If the movie has a fault, it's that it features so many of the political incorrectnesses that are no longer omnipresent; there's a chainsmoking turtle DJ, stereotypically voiced Asian penguin judo masters, and an anteater who downs a pitcher of beer in one suck. Sure, those things are hilarious now, but it reveals the gap between what was acceptable in a kid's film then and now. All in all, it's nothing revolutionary (even though Brad Bird of Pixar fame was one of the animators) but it sure is a pleasant trip back that doesn't get overwhelmed by the incongruencies that ruin so many old kid shows (although I invite any mature viewers to laugh at the prospect of goat/cheetah children!)
January 27, 2008
I must have loved it as a child, for though I don't remember this movie I remember having an Animalympics lunchbox.
January 8, 2008
One of the best cartoon-movies ever!! I used to watch this all the time as a kid. My favorite is Kit Mambo... I always wanted shorts like hers :P
July 28, 2015
Excellent animation and characters bursting with personality this movie is a great for furfags for any age
August 28, 2013
June 5, 2013
Memories from childhood
October 22, 2012
When I was a little kid, this movie made me laugh and cry. Most of the songs were done by members of the band "10cc" (you probably know them from songs like, "The things we do for Love" and "I'm not in Love!" Voices by.. well you can read them listed here - all did a great job. Simpsons fans will recognize some of Harry Shearer's ... maybe. Even though at the time I did not know all the sportscasters and celebs that were being parody'ed it still made me laugh and the jokes were understandable - great for kids and adults. Boys and girls liking various sports will get to see their fav's played out here. The movie also shows great team work, Love & friendship, as well as friendship to people from other countries. When you watch & hear this movie, you will be amazed that it was made in 1979. HIGHLY recommended.
January 7, 2012
Years and years ago, Warner Bros. put out cartoons with carictures of famous people or animals doing stupid things, well, this sort of reminded me of that, but in a late 70's sort of way. Let's have the animal kingdom put out it's own version of the Olympic games and spend one hour and 19 minutes with no plot, just one event after another! Super boring, and filled with gowdawful music you'd only hear from that time period. The only redeeming thing about this is the cheesy graphics introducing each sport. But that's it/
June 2, 2010
A forgotten creative masterpiece I just rediscovered on youtube. Animals compete for their continents against each other in sporting events broadcast by the Z.O.O network. Great voicework and excellent characters abound - like Bolt Jenkins - the rags to riches alligator - and the bizarre love story between the marathon running french goat Rene Fromage and the african lion Kit Mumba. Perhaps the highlight though are the songs by ex-10cc frontman Grahm Gouldman. Excellent stuff.
½ May 2, 2010
Back when animated films were made with traditional 2D and comedy was clever, there was Animalympics. It was a wonderful parody of the Olympic games and was very enjoyable to watch.
April 23, 2008
A great cartoon feature for kids of all ages.
January 12, 2009
a great film from my childhood,funny...would like to see it again
½ August 14, 2009
Very enjoyable old film.
June 10, 2009
The only reason I know this is that out of the handful of films that Pink Floyd's allowed to use their music for, this was one of them with "One of These Days".
February 21, 2009
This 1980s farce on the Olympics done with animals acting human is at times charming and breezy.
February 19, 2009
January 15, 2009
this is probably one of the most creative, well animated, and underrated cartoon movies ever, especially for its time. simply awesome. i remember watching this as a kid. just recently saw this again and i still love it. they need to bring this out on DVD!
½ November 1, 2008
My indoctrination to the love of sport and the beauty of fair play.