Annapolis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Annapolis Reviews

January 14, 2014
Annapolis is an awful, clichéd mess of a film that fails to entertain. This is the type of film that relies on a poorly thought script, one that simply doesn't work. The characters are generic, and the story is something that we've seen many times before. James Franco has done far better work than this, but Annapolis is one of his worst films. This is a bland affair, one that is just boring, with nothing that's ever interesting that occurs on-screen. The dialogue and performances are laughable, and this is simply put, a film that isn't worth your time. I hated the film, and felt it was a pointless film. This is a prime example of what happens when a film has too many clichés going for it, the end result suffers greatly, and it ends up falling flat. If you're looking for an entertaining film with this one, you'll sadly be disappointed. Annapolis is a forgettable film that scraps the bottom of the barrel. This is one of those films that should have been reworked on before getting green lit. Watch something else; you'll be glad you did. This film just copies every feel good film, and waters down the formula and plays out every cliché in the book. Annapolis is a collection of bad actors and a poor story that ends up being a pointless effort. I don't think that the filmmakers cared to really make a good film with this one. Overall this is a soulless movie, and one we've seen many times before. The only difference is, is that there are better films out tackling the same subject.
½ June 2, 2007
James Franco is just lovely. It has a good storyline too.
December 26, 2006
This film is a bit familiar to An Officer and a Gentleman, but except the boxing. Really great tale of courage and honour, even what I thought of James Franco is alike Richard Gere and Tyrese Gibson is alike Lou Gossett Jr in their characters.
½ May 29, 2007
Even thou he was in several things before Annapolis, I consider this to be James Franco's breakthrough role. Just the training and studying alone, must have been as intense as the film itself. Franco plays Jake Huard, a first year student at the Naval academy. The story takes you inside one the hardest and most secretive schools in America, showing you just what it takes to even make it past your first year. The story itself is very inspirational and the acting is top notch. This isn't just a good film, it's one that you know took a lot out of everyone involved. I was entertained, excited, and inspired by an underdog who just wouldn't give up. This is a tremendous film that fell under the radar, because of a then, unknown cast, but it really is a must see for fans of inspirational, military and sports dramas.
January 20, 2007
Good solid all around performances...Shows the anguish of how hard it is to get into a Naval academy and prove yourself...Great boxing scenes.
½ July 8, 2006
It's as bad as everyone says it is. James Franco does as much as he possibly can with a toilet paper screenplay.
½ August 6, 2007
Liked it, very sexy james franco.
August 4, 2009
How should I call this movie? Inspiring?
We just find out that anyone can get in the Naval Academy, regardless of his/hers physical skills... aren't you tempted to give it a try, now that you know it?
Because I'm really interested ... it seems that students have a lot of time at their disposal to spend in the company of a charming superior officer.
July 23, 2008
Been done before, been done better. Felt... lacking. James Franco does ok but could have had a better vehicle for his first starring role.
½ April 19, 2007
Don't be duped into thinking this flick has anything to do with a young man's experiences as a midshipman at the US Naval Academy. In reality, it's a poorly written/directed boxing movie intended to give female viewers the opportunity to ogle James Franco and Tyrese Gibson shirtless and sweaty. Jordana Brewster is thrown in as eye candy for us guys. Very lame...
October 21, 2007
Chalk this one up to another predictable bootcamp/academy movie, however it did provide an excellent quote: "People from Alabama love people from Mississippi because without them, they'd be the worst state in the country...You're my Mississippi."
½ February 9, 2007
James Franco looks really good in uniform ;) It was a cute movie, but nothing special.
October 5, 2010
Meh, lol. I remember watching this on USA and liking it because I didn't have to pay for it, but it's kind of a rip off on An Officer And A Gentlemen.
September 25, 2010
A poor man's version of An Officer & A Gentleman; but nowhere near as good! Some lines are quirky, but that's about it. :/
September 8, 2010
The story was pretty basic, pretty cliched. I failed to gain an attachment to James Franco's character. It was a military movie, about boxing? yeah, I never really got into it.
½ August 29, 2006
You go in expecting an action or war movie, and what happens? It turns out to be a boxing movie. Let down.
½ December 27, 2008
Predictable yarn about the academy I grew up near. Should have focused more on the academics, that is the real challenge...
October 31, 2008
I love military movies-especially Navy and this is a nice feel good film. I don't care how Flixter has rated it. If you catch it on TV and you can-it is a really good watch.
October 23, 2008
Nothing exceptional. I liked seeing what happened in the academy. My brother just went through boot camp for the marines, so I'm assuming it's a bit similar. Way too much boxing. It was like the movie wanted to be Rocky or something.
½ January 13, 2008
Dumb! They make it seem like this movie is about a guy struggling through a tough school and it turns out to be a movie entirely about boxing.