64% The Maze Runner Sep 19

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens Reviews

Ken S

January 31, 2011
It's not going to rock your world or reveal any secrets about how Annie shoots. It's mostly about the way she thinks about shooting, which is interesting if you're interested in that kind of a thing.
Mark A

August 26, 2009
A good biographical documentary of an iconic visual artist whose work is instantly recognizable. It is difficult to capture the brilliance of her photographs in the medium of film, and the director, who is also her sister, does her best to bring it off. The attempt to tell the story of how Annie's work evolved through interviews with her subjects, her co-workers, her associates and her employers was interesting, but not compelling. The closest we came to seeing behind the persona, was when Annie was talking about Susan Sontag's final days. They had been long-time companions, and her humanity showed through briefly in those moments. For the rest of the film, it felt like we were being shown what the artist herself and the director wanted us to see. But the essential Annie Leibovitz remained hidden behind the mask of her celebrity. There is nearly an hour of extras that appear to be the interviews and scenes that didn't make the final cut. They do help to flesh out and expand on the themes in the main body of the film. I liked it, overall. It presents to the viewer an overview of her life and work. I just didn't find enough to really grab my heart. Not enough there to compel one to look.
lesleyanorton
lesleyanorton

June 29, 2009
I don't know much about Annie Leibovitz .. and I'm not sure I know much more after seeing this doc
Jonny B

July 3, 2011
Stunning. A great achievement in capturing the photography process, the excellent career of Annie, history and glamour etc. through the ages, Susan Sontag and why she matters, what it's really like to be on tour with The Rolling Stones in the 70's (hint: every sober person converts to cocaine and heroin abuse), and a lot more. Including great interviews with brilliant photographers, and friends, actors, models, musicians et al - you'd be doing yourself a great disservice putting 'Life Through a Lens' off.