The Anniversary Party Reviews

November 20, 2006
I really liked it the first time I saw it. Not so much the second time.
½ December 23, 2009
This is what happens when you let just anyone direct films...films like these.
½ April 12, 2008
There's something quite unusual about this movie. It's like the Big Chill for the new millenium.
iLeo
December 10, 2007
A favorite!
½ November 7, 2007
I had wanted to see this movie for the longest time. I watched it in the wee morning hours on a night I couldn't sleep. I was a little too "independent" for my taste. It was a little boring and I don't necessarily like Jennifer Jason Leigh. Alan Cumming and John C. Reilly were the highlights of the film for me.
June 7, 2007
I've always liked this film for its great ensemble cast that includes John C. Reilly, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Beals, and some other really talented folks. And I enjoy Alan Cumming and Jennifer Jason Leigh together.
June 3, 2015
After all the speeches and pomp and circumstance,what the hell do we really have here?
April 25, 2013
Another self-indulgent film about a Hollywood house party gone wrong; this time with the 28-50 year old "slightly neurotic" friends and neighbors. Are there any other kinds in tinsel town? Once you get half-way through the film, it starts to work. Adequate ending, woof.
July 31, 2007
i thought Phoebe Cates retired after Drop Dead Fred. After you marry Kevin Kline, who needs to act to make money.
½ August 4, 2011
I remember being very impressed by the characters, and thus the acting, but only mildly enamored with the story itself.
½ January 1, 2010
**1/2 (out of four)

This is partly a fun dialogue film and partly overly annoying. It borders on both for too long that it sinks beneath its own pretentions.

Sally and Joe, played by Jennifer Jason Leigh and Alan Cumming have recently reconciled after a separation. They decide to throw a huge party to celebrate their sixth wedding anniversary. All their friends arrive and the couple's differences begin to show throught the celebration.

Some decent stuff here, but a lot of the moments feel thrown in just to make things worse between the couple. It doesn't feel like a real couple.
January 20, 2008
I just LOVED this movie- flipping around on cable TV and found it one night-- from 2001?
First the genius collaboration of JJ Leigh and Cummings?! Who knew they were even friends in real life!

Why it is wonderful to me? Because:
1)I would NEVER be in this "day in the life" and this gave me a fly on the wall view of it.
This is how the Hollywood ELITE live and play -- so it was great to see this first hand as I was led to believe and believe I do.

2) JJ Leigh looks like a wonderfully young Jessica Lange! Who Knew?! All the movies I have seen her in- Dolores Claiborne, Roommate- or whatever that was-- she was always plain and dumpy and ever so never smiled or looked just plain NICE.

3)WOW these are the problems of every day people-- narcissitic, selfish, low self esteem, so afraid to lose the other-- but amplified because they ARE in the limelight- so the resolve is not so easy. Lies on top of lies, fragile egos, no easy resolve. And so very superficial in the grand scheme of things but NOT TO THESE PEOPLE-- it just made me feel so good I never did become a superstar or even Light Star!!!

I got to PITY these celebs presented in the movie. And Gweyth Paltrow-- this is NOT acting-- this is WHO I BELIEVE SHE REALLY IS-- so very shallow and painfully trying to be something else on her macrobiotic diets. OH and how the actors really acted - Kevin Kline (lovely to see his real life wife here too and were those their real children? I would think they are older in real life) and Cummings having to say Paltrow's tiny EVERYTHING body was GRAND?!!! Now that was great acting!
August 12, 2007
funny, but also annoying at times. ultimately, I think I liked it but the reasons are probably a little dubious.
April 10, 2006
What an unpleasant film. It is nicely acted by most of the cast, and there is some good writing, it's just depressing. A lot of the characters just don't develop well enough to make the film fully successful. Interesting though.
½ September 26, 2005
At times, this movie works very good, but it meanders too much and loses its point. Some good performances but there's nothing too memorable nor too exciting.
June 16, 2004
Great Movie. Not for everyone--quirky. Intellectual comedy for people who like movies. Anytime Alan Cummings and Parker Posey do a movie together it's gonna be good.