Any Day Now - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Any Day Now Reviews

May 18, 2013
Beautifully acted story of a time of painful bigotry, love and what it means to be a family. Highly recommended.
½ December 16, 2012
I'll just tell you right off the bat that this is some heavy stuff. I mean it is about a gay couple trying to keep custody of a mentally handicapped teen so he doesn't go back to his junkie mom. In the late 70s. And while this was very good, all of that stuff is one of the pitfalls of this movie. It tries to juggle too many hats. Romance, gay rights, courtroom drama, family drama, throw in a subplot of Alan Cumming's character really wanting to be a professional singer...it's just a lot. Which unfortunately makes it lean into melodrama every so often. There's even a moment where Cumming is sitting in front of a mirror, looking down, and he slowly gazes up and looks in the mirror as a song starts. I am not kidding. There's also some really unfortunate hair. I don't know if it was on purpose or just bad wigs- but I digress. But on top of all that, this is still pretty good. The real reason to watch this is Alan Cumming though, who gives a fantastic performance. But this is definitely a tearjerker. Don't say I didn't warn you.
½ July 4, 2014
What a fantastic movie and well written and acted. It shows that we have come a long way as a society but it also shows that we still have a long way to go.
May 19, 2014
Any Day Now is a wonderfully bittersweet movie about a gay couple who are fighting for the custody of a boy with down syndrome after his mother was arrested for drugs so that the child doesn't get put into a group home where he won't get the attention that he needs. More than just a message-movie, Any Day Now is a well-directed film with outstanding performances. I've been putting off watching this movie for over a year now because I thought that it was going to be overly melodramatic, but this is a fine film and I'm glad that I finally got around to watching it. Highly recommended, check it out.
½ September 22, 2013
Good movie. Not amazing. Still really sad.
I agree with my friend, Michael, about Alan Cumming at times. Several scenes, he is just that "gay" guy you want to smack to shut up, and his accent was a bit distracting at times. But needless to say, we have all encountered some people like him in this!
Overall fairly well-done and worth watching as it still much better than the majority of gay-themed films that get made.
½ September 16, 2013
What a horribly sad story. Cumming and Dillahunt were amazing in this movie and really made your heartbreak by the time the movie ended.
August 13, 2013
It is these little known movies few have ever heard of that end up being the biggest surprises (although to be honest I saw the trailer for this film when I saw Anna Karenina in the theater last winter). While Any Day Now is a flawed film -- editing isn't so great and there are some continuity flaws clearly visible onscreen -- the story and acting are quite good. Inspired by a true story, Any Day Now takes place in the late 70's and is about Rudy Donatello (Alan Cumming - Circle of Friends) who one day takes notice of Marco, a down syndrome kid (a remarkable Isaac Leyva) who is his neighbor and has a deadbeat, drug-addled single parent mother (Jamie Anne Allman -- Aunt Terry of 'The Killing') who cares little for him or his well-being. Disgusted and distraught for the innocent child, Rudy asks his lawyer pal Paul (Garret Dillahunt - No Country for Old Men) to see what he can do about helping the child after Marco's mother abandons him after telling Rudy he was free to take care of him if he liked. Any Day Now is a story of love and compassion but most of all acceptance ... as Rudy takes in and loves another in spite of all obstacles he knows he will encounter. Rudy and Marco create a makeshift family and nobody has a problem with it until it is revealed that Rudy is a homosexual and his love and kindness and respect are apparently no longer valid. The closeted pal Paul struggles with doing what is right and wrong ... all while the audience sees that true love knows no bounds because an innocent Marco sees nothing but love for those who have loved him. The film becomes more of a legal drama as it explores the biased legal system but at its core is Cumming's genuine and heartfelt performance that is rather impressive. While it won't be a film for everyone, open-minded and big-hearted individuals should like several aspects of this film. Yes ... it could have been better but so can the world we all live in.
July 14, 2013
Great movie! People sometimes don't get the point in life, for that they deserve to die, for the rest of us who know what living means this movie is easy to understand. Great acting!!!
May 13, 2013
ANY DAY NOW is an extraordinary film, based on a true story which showcases and affirms the amazing breadth, depth and talent of Alan Cumming.
This film tells the disqueting story of two gay men who attempt to adopt a child with down syndrome. The skillful direction by Travis Fine runs us through an emotional wringer. This is truly one of the most significant films I have seen in quite some time. There is strong sexual content and drug use -- not appropriate for children. But this film is a must see for those of us yearning for justice for all! Bravo to all!
½ December 14, 2012
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, despite the cliches and lack of narrative focus, there's no denying the power of Cumming, Leyva and Dillahunt's performances, nor the tragedy and injustice of the situation.
May 5, 2013
Yes, gay people in the past and present have had terrible, unjust things happen to them. But anyone who'd watch this movie would know that because they've seen it in movies 100 times before. Don't we have any other stories to tell?
½ December 22, 2012
Alan Cumming is unique personality, yet most often his aesthetic choices come first. Here the inner voice of Cumming is heard; an electrifyingly truthful, empathic performance that is truthful. It is an honest portrayal of someone who wants to love and have a happy ending. This obviously can not be for two gay men in 1979. A story about two gay men who decide to fight for the custody of a teen with Down's Syndrome could possibly be one of many made for TV movies from the very era that is portrayed. It could have been maudlin and perhaps pushed the audience in to complete emotional manipulation. Yet this film stopped short of that possibility...there were a few cliches, yet they were countered by many sincere moments between Cumming, Dillahunt (Cumming's lover), and the young actor who plays Marco. I overcome by emotion many times perhaps as a gay man who could relate to a world that held prejudice against homosexuals-- a world that could not accept two men or two women in a relationship to be good parents. Clear heads prevailed in the screenplay and the director had an earnest cast that adhered to the emotional truth of the moment. This film shows that Cumming is a powerhouse actor and he definitely will have more good performances to come in the near future. Garrett Dillahunt also delivered a sincere performance of a man trapped by his desire for justice and the reality of the prejudices of the times. Kudos!
December 16, 2012
Really touching and earns the tears it provokes in the viewer. Check it out even if you normally avoid these kind of stories.
December 5, 2012
I know I have said that some previous movies have been great, wonderful pieces of cinema. But nothing has made me laugh and cry even walking home after the film. Travis Fine directs this beautiful movie and I am still in awe of how genuine Alan Cumming portrays his character of Rudy. The rest of the cast is great and really pulls off the 70s without the gimmicks most of Hollywood falls into. Travis Fine made us fall in love with Marco played by Issac Leyva but we don't love him out of pity or the movie pandering to our emotions he created a world where all of us could relate. We are all outcasts, and just want to be loved just like the people on the screen. If you want to see a really great movie with a phenomenal performance by Alan Cumming, go see this film.
April 28, 2016
30 mins in,I don't like its tone...and I just cant watch any more...I couldn't get past grubby Alan C looking like Margeret Hamilton wearing a cheap wig...he most definitely does not make a convincing drag queen...and Garrett Dillahunt,who's hair also looked suspect...put me in mind of an axe wielding serial killer for some reason...just creepy.
½ February 4, 2016
A very emotional, heart wrenching movie about 2 issues that are very relevant to my life.
Truly enjoyable with great performances, especially Cumming who I'm not a fan of, along the way.
I just felt completely heart broken over the ending.
½ February 1, 2016
Set at the end of the 1970s, Any Day Now makes the viewer intensely aware of how far we've come in the fight for equality over the last 30 or so years. The plot deals with a gay couple who try to adopt a 15 year old boy with Down's Syndrome. The attitude of the US child protection agencies, the courts and, indeed, the wider community make me cringe and I'm thankful that the bigotry and hostility that is depicted here is something that in the UK at least is very much consigned to the history books. The fact that the story remains compelling and doesn't become overly sentimental is due in large part to the two central actors, Alan Cumming and Garret Dillahunt who portray and unlikely couple in a convincing manner. Of the two, it is Cumming's character of Rudy that drives the plot but he needs the steady, guiding hand of partner Paul to give him a way forward. The fact that the story tries to buck the usual trend of sugar-coated endings this kind of movie is often plagued by is to be applauded but the finale does feel a little rushed which causes it to lose some of the emotional impact that I feel it deserved. This is, however, a great vehicle for Cumming and his undoubted talents which are all too often wasted.
December 13, 2015
I absolutely loved this film. I had my doubts early on , however towards the end this films grips the audience on another level . It truly is a great film that I will watch over and over again . Extremely powerful well acted and genuinely fantastic .