• R, 1 hr. 37 min.

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Any Day Now Reviews

Hamee
September 16, 2013
What a horribly sad story. Cumming and Dillahunt were amazing in this movie and really made your heartbreak by the time the movie ended.
August 13, 2013
It is these little known movies few have ever heard of that end up being the biggest surprises (although to be honest I saw the trailer for this film when I saw Anna Karenina in the theater last winter). While Any Day Now is a flawed film -- editing isn't so great and there are some continuity flaws clearly visible onscreen -- the story and acting are quite good. Inspired by a true story, Any Day Now takes place in the late 70's and is about Rudy Donatello (Alan Cumming - Circle of Friends) who one day takes notice of Marco, a down syndrome kid (a remarkable Isaac Leyva) who is his neighbor and has a deadbeat, drug-addled single parent mother (Jamie Anne Allman -- Aunt Terry of 'The Killing') who cares little for him or his well-being. Disgusted and distraught for the innocent child, Rudy asks his lawyer pal Paul (Garret Dillahunt - No Country for Old Men) to see what he can do about helping the child after Marco's mother abandons him after telling Rudy he was free to take care of him if he liked. Any Day Now is a story of love and compassion but most of all acceptance ... as Rudy takes in and loves another in spite of all obstacles he knows he will encounter. Rudy and Marco create a makeshift family and nobody has a problem with it until it is revealed that Rudy is a homosexual and his love and kindness and respect are apparently no longer valid. The closeted pal Paul struggles with doing what is right and wrong ... all while the audience sees that true love knows no bounds because an innocent Marco sees nothing but love for those who have loved him. The film becomes more of a legal drama as it explores the biased legal system but at its core is Cumming's genuine and heartfelt performance that is rather impressive. While it won't be a film for everyone, open-minded and big-hearted individuals should like several aspects of this film. Yes ... it could have been better but so can the world we all live in.
December 13, 2012
As a man who feels very fortunate to have experienced social injustices in my lifetime and yet has lived to see the slow & steady erosion of old stereotypes and the power of believing in what is right and just and never ceasing to strive for those ideals..., this film struck a very deep chord in me. It is a touching and honest portrayal set in 1979/1980 based on a true life experience. It is very important for society to be able to witness "the way things were" in order to gain a better perspective of the goal of total equality under the law. This film has humor, wit and a strong dose of reality and deserves to be sought out when it plays in a theater near you...
April 12, 2014
This is such a powerful movie and I am in awe of not ony Alan Cumming but Garrett Dillahunt as well. You cannot help but be moved by the struggle these men face in the 1970s as gay men attempting to make a better life for a young man with down syndrome.
November 16, 2012
Phenomenal movie, incredible acting performances and a true story that is more powerful than fiction could ever be. Alan Cummings is amazing and Isaac Leyva will steal your heart. This one is well worth seeing!
Sonja B.
February 10, 2014
I was lucky enough to see this film while I was on holiday in Arizona and attended some screenings at The Sedona Film Festival. I didn't know anything about the film but have always been a fan of Cumming so chose this as one of the films to see. I wasn't disappointed, in fact I think it's fair to say this film completely blew me away and I left the cinema a bit of an emotional wreck! Some of the plot points at times may feel a bit rushed or contrived but if you just go with it you can enjoy a really beautiful, moving human drama. That's exactly what I chose to do and moved I was! The performances from all the cast are top notch, but Alan Cumming really is outstanding. I've never seen him better. It's really nicely shot and scored. The costumes and hair (!)are bang on period and the film flows seamlessly from beginning to the shocking end, which I had not anticipated and left me reeling! Would I recommend this film, in a word YES!
mark d.
January 31, 2014
Chicago International Film Festival 2012 - Audience Choice Award for Best Narrative Feature
Seattle International Film Festival 2012 - Best Actor Award, Alan Cumming
June 2, 2012
was a very good movie!
Victoria N.
January 3, 2014
Heartbreaking, shocking and touching.
December 22, 2013
???????? ???????????????? ?????? ??? ???? ???????????????????
????????????????????????? ????????????? ?????????????????
??????????????????????? ??????
???????????? ???????? ??????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????
????????????????? ????????????? ???????????? ??????????????...
December 16, 2013
Uma paixão a 1a vista une uma drag queen a um advogado divorciado. O carinho e solidariedade inspiram a adoção de um menino com síndrome de down abandonado pela mãe viciada em drogas. Uma batalha nos tribunais para construir uma família incomum enfrentando o preconceito com muito carinho e determinação. Um ator (Alan Cumming) numa atuação memorável !!! Um filme excelente !!!
December 2, 2013
Cumming is AMAZING. and this sad story will touch you.
April 10, 2013
a wonderful and heartbreaking story.
October 14, 2013
A movie gorgeously blinds melancholy with optimism. Without any clue of how it will end, you "experience" along with the characters, fluctuate along with the plot.
Downplay any empathy or life pain is what provides the film with aftertaste and plumps the overall film.
October 4, 2013
Extraordinary and touching movie. Seems like we still have ways to go to curb bigotry.
Fantastic actors. Great story.
September 22, 2013
Good movie. Not amazing. Still really sad.
I agree with my friend, Michael, about Alan Cumming at times. Several scenes, he is just that "gay" guy you want to smack to shut up, and his accent was a bit distracting at times. But needless to say, we have all encountered some people like him in this!
Overall fairly well-done and worth watching as it still much better than the majority of gay-themed films that get made.
Simon Mernagh
September 21, 2013
Tackling the ongoing "issue" of gay adoption (and, by virtue of association, LGBT rights in general) is a difficult feat for any director to achieve in an artistically credible way. An emotionally charged topic by definition, Travis Fine's latest picture could easily have descended into a preachy political lesson or some morality sermon. Thankfully Any Day Now manages to compassionately woo its audience while also avoiding any sort of cloying sentimentality.

Alan Cumming plays the enjoyably audacious Rudy Donatello, an aspiring singer by day and drag queen by night with a New Yawk drawl so thick you'd lose a shoe in it. It's the 1970's, so poor Rudy is forced to put up with his awful drug-snorting and T.Rex-blaring neighbour (Jamie Anne Allman). One day he discovers her intellectually disabled son Marco (Isaac Leyva) frightened and alone; we learn that his mother has been thrown in jail, so Rudy and his recently-acquired lawyer boyfriend Paul (Garret Dillahunt) undertake to raise Marco as one of their own. Amidst a culture of internalised fear and loathing of homosexuality, can a same-sex couple hope to raise a disabled kid in peace?

Irrespective of one's viewpoint on the idea of gay adoption (for which none should exist; it's a non-issue), Any Day Now exudes so much charm and such wonderful acting that to fault it on a technical or performance level would betray all reason and logic. Ridiculous wig or not, we've never seen better out of Alan Cumming as the punchy drag performer who, as this movie showcases, has a truly remarkable singing voice. This is likewise a career-best for Dillahunt, while newcomer Levya steals the show and, in doing so, breaks some exciting new ground in championing screen presence of actors with Down's syndrome.

But the movie's focus on the child, Marco, is what makes Any Day Now such a profoundly moving and potent experience. The singularly nefarious antagonists (right-wing lawyers, conservative judges, horrible bosses etc.) aside, the film repeatedly chants the mantra of "this is about the child"; Rudy and Paul's (believably) idyllic household boasts an immeasurably higher quality of life for Marco than anything his empathy-devoid mother could possibly provide, especially while behind bars. Fine could easily have centred events around the two adult leads, but in advocating the kid's welfare as top priority he utterly eradicates any and all remnants of a debate.

Regardless of whether custody rights are granted or not, the ending could only ever have been a tear-jerker. But the route taken is so harrowing, so heartbreaking that leaving the cinema with a pair of completely dry eyes is a virtual impossibility. Bring tissues, but make no mistake; this is a stunningly beautiful movie with a powerful message that's unfortunately as relevant today as it was four decades ago.
September 13, 2013
A good film, with uniformly good performances, but one has to question how much of the film's emotional success fundamentally comes down to manipulating our fundamental compassion for those unable to take care of themselves, and our outrage at the miscarriages of justice that are routine in our world. The story itself, and it's execution, are ok, but there is nothing extraordinary here. I suppose that is the point - this is the part of the Gay Movement which was prevalent in the 50s and 60s, "Look! We're not just gay, we're middle class too!"
The characterisation is very thin, also.