Anzio

Anzio Reviews

bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

April 19, 2011
A excellent WWII movie about the Battle of Anzio (Italy) showing the landing and the days leading up to the pushing back of the German troops. Robert Mitchum plays a war news paper reporter who no only brings back much needed intelligence but he is also responsible for the removal of a General who drops the ball and could have march troops all the way to Rome with little if any resistance. Excellent overall War Movie, just don't make them like this anymore. Peter Falk also plays an excellent part in this movie , No less then5 stars.
tymclem
March 19, 2007
Writer Robert Mitchum takes a tour of World War II's most horrific battles in search of the immortal question: "Why do men start wars?" The answer, in the end, is quite simple.
February 18, 2013
The movie is stupid beginning with the theme song. At first I thought it was Anzio-The Musical. It didn't show the real drama of the conflict with soldiers pinned down on the beach. It was released in 1968 and I thought it had an anti-war message.
Dave J
August 10, 2011
Wednesday, August 10, 2011

(1968) Anzio
WAR

Early produced Dino De Laurentis film, which means respected director, Edward Dmytryk may had to compromise during it's entire shoot! Boring because it's muddled plot, almost plotless to say the least and pointless fabrication about the invasion of Anzio, Italy (one of the worst casualities in the history of Italy) that was supposedly come from a book written by Wynford Vaughan-Thomasin and is faithful by principal only, since the story throughout is inconsistent eg: on one scene, the Robert Mitchum character understands Italian language enough to speak it, then on the next scene, he doesn't understand it at all! Although much of the cast is by Italian casting playing both German and American roles, the movie stars Robert Mitchum as the war hero reporter, Peter Falk and Arthur Kennedy and veteran actor Robert Ryan (The Wild Bunch) whose only presence is for no more than 5 minutes throughout the entire film- 3 minutes at the beginning 2 minutes at the end! The only thing I can see that the well known actors got from this experience, is the free trip to beautiful Italy! It's borderline 'spaghetti western' tone because of dubbing and musical score timing!

What a waste of time to watch this, which if it wasn't for the short 'synopsis' at the back of the actual VHS case- I wouldn't been able to understand any of it at all!

1 out of 4
Andrew G.
June 27, 2010
It has some fantastic War Scenes, as well as some great performances by Robert Mitchum and Peter Falk. However, I feel that Robert Mitchum is forever typecast as Reverand Harry Powell from Night of the Hunter. That isn't so much a fault with the film though as it is with the audience. One of the weaknesses of the film was the romance. True, it was brief, but it was really dull when it was on screen. Also, the German Dialogue was awful. They were speaking English, but I feel that it would have worked much better if they spoke German and we were provided with English Subtitles. Finally, some of the early action scenes were unintentionally funny, with Peter Falk skipping around while fighting. It's a decent War film, but it's not too memorable.