Appleseed Reviews

April 18, 2015
ATTN ROTTEN TOMATOES THAT'S THE WRONG APPLESEED PICTURE! beautiful, but not perfect, so pretty i question why people are so impressed by Avatar.
½ June 16, 2014
With all its flaws, it's still an indespinseable anime classic...
May 5, 2014
Wow just wow

Story keeps on giving and action all the time.

Must watch
½ March 23, 2010
Maybe it was the dub I was watching, but some of the dialogue was pretty shoddy. The story was so rushed I found it difficult to keep track of what was going on, though the general plot is simple enough to understand. Other than that, it is visually stunning, tense and darkly enticing.
½ November 27, 2009
The movie was not bad. I had seen the two 3D Appleseeds first. This one actually takes place between them. It does fill in a bit of back story which is nice. I know it was the 80s, but I was not that impressed with the animation. I have seen other 80s animation that is much better. The music and look was pretty good. The story was missing a lot and seemed to jump around. I just didn't really enjoy this as much as the others.
September 4, 2008
[color=Lime] Ironically, a couple of months ago I purchased this movie. Last week, I watched it for the second time, and decided it was time to write something about it. I originally gave this movie a 7, and it went down a notch because I just watched it in English, and good god was it awful.

In this entry, I'm not so much reviewing the 80's Appleseed as comparing it to the CGI films and the manga. When I checked out RT's page for the original movie, I found it just riddled with BS. First of all, the movie didn't come out in 97, and if it did, then I could understand the ratings it got. The production values for this were good at the time, but practically intolerable now unless you're a die-hard fan (thus the reason I can stand it). The voice overs for the English version were just awful. Briareos has his name changed to Blurirarious or something totally bizarre like that, and has a terrible New York accent, even though he's from the Mediterranian. The script is also localized for American audiences by adding a curse word to every sentance like a period. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I didn't mean to review it, but I ended up doing it anyway. Oh well, back on subject. One of the things I did love about this movie was the way Hitomi and Yoshi were portrayed. Both their appearance and attitudes are much more like the manga, and whether that is a good or bad thing is entirely up to the viewer. I personally like the fact that they kept her the same because she was much more upbeat and talkative in the manga, which was the perfect opposite of Duenan, who tends to be slightly more serious and quick to anger in the books. In the CGI movies, however, she was basically emotionless, and it didn't even seem like the same character anymore.

Due to this and a few other minor details (like Duenan having an eye patch in the trailer for EX Machina, and fooling everybody into thinking it was for a reason!!!), I'm going to conclude that neither series truly follows the book, but that the CGI ones are more similar in terms of the political undertones and theory, while the original movie is more similar to SOME of the characters. I'm a little upset that key villains were removed from both though. I would have liked to see Chiffon in either movie, although her role was basically Calon's in the first movie.

[/color]