Appleseed Reviews

½ February 2, 2008
This version is fun, but it is a more action anime than the heavily padded scifi plot elements of the 2004 Appleseed. This one still has some great art, and for the most part the dialogue seems more naturalistic, perhaps this is because the characters do not hesitate to curse in intense situations in which that character should be cursing. There also some peppered integrated "bad words" but again, not overdone, and frankly damn welcome in my animation.
But to talk more of this plot, it is less interesting and the characters are less compelling than the 2004 release. In this one, the "appleseed" itself does not really come into play, and Duenen and Hitomi are underdeveloped. Still, this Briaros feels more like this character should as opposed to the forced plot element of "he must act machine like" in 04 version.
The art, particularly the background renderings are well done, and for this era, pretty impeccable compared to what few other animated features of this time period I've seen. Still, there is more gunfire than there is story in this one, but perhaps I have that bias because I had seen the 04 first and already understood the "Olumpus" culture. There's some funny (perhaps intentional) change in lettering e.g. "ALART". The gunplay is well done, especially for anime of this era, and the "final stage" of primary villain design is great.
September 6, 2009
MUCH better than the remake. It seems that sometimes the films with older animation make up for it with better plots and storylines, whereas films that beat you over the head with special effects and computer animation are just trying to compensate for a boring film. =p
September 9, 2009
This movie is the perfect example of anime at it's best. I loved it! And even the second one, Exmachina, was great. The look of the movie is Cell Shaded, and it does indeed look unique.
November 29, 2007
My opinion of this film might be biased, because I saw the 2005 version first. Also I made the mistake of watching this in English instead of Japanese. Worst. Dub. Ever.
½ July 22, 2007
The original '89 version with English subtitles. In the distant future, our heros', Deunan Knute and her cyborg pal Briareos Hecantochires, struggle to survive (and to understand) the politics and nuances of the people of the utopian city state "Olympus". Still holds up pretty well today.
July 13, 2007
Classic! Shirow is a must see. So just watch it already (granted I am totally loving the animation on the new one but the original is still a really good story).
May 18, 2007
Pure anime! This is a great movie. Stunning art and fairly well written storyline. One of my favorites in my collection.
½ May 1, 2007
This OVA was utterly weak. A disgrace to the Appleseed manga. Forget this one and see the recent remake.
½ June 13, 2006
It's not 1 tenth as good as the CGI version... that's a fact... but it's still the story which is good.
½ September 28, 2013
this is based of of one of my fav. manga series.
February 13, 2012
I love animes flicks from the 80s.